Best QBs Available?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by heartpumpsgreen, Sep 11, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

This could be the worst take ever on this website. The Rodgers 2023 chapter was over with 99.9985% of the season remaining and you just want to turn your back on everything that's decent about this team and "wait till (sic) next year?" That's a hell of a message to send to the other 52 guys still around if you think you'll keep them by throwing in the towel. Yes, you trot in another veteran quarterback, probably one who will cost nothing in trade value but is sitting at home on his couch now paying for his own pizza. You get tough and you get competitive and you win some games and start building for the future. Again. You don't wait for next year. You don't hang your head, kick at the dirt and cry for your bad decisions. You need another warm body, might as well get the best one you can; one who can win games. No "future capital" expended.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  2. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

Well even if I didn’t want him or you may not wanted him with the 2nd pick but ZW was rated by one of the best QBs to come out of college not by some here but some top football experts/scouts. So he was our money pick, and the future of the franchise whether you didn’t believe it or not. He was the “answer” of our QB woes…moving forward, as many of us want to win games, we can’t expect him to be a Hebert, and accept the fact we need him to be efficient enough. Until he gets beaten out, he is our guy. We re only two games in and played two great teams and and 1-1. I am focusing on one game at a time and not hanging up the season because ZW is incompetent. I am hoping we find ways to win games and he steps up to do his job.

3. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

When will you guys understand that however a guy was rated coming out of school and the position he was drafted in don't mean any more than a single Pro Day pass. The only thing that matters is productivity on the NFL field. There are guys sitting on their sofas waiting for their phones to ring - there's no need to put all the eggs in the basket of the guy who can't get one to cook.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  4. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Was listening to Connor Rodgers this morning in his pod and he brought up a good point about the back up QB that a lot of us are saying here.

They just need Zach to give them time to get later into the season. It doesn’t matter how they win. Just get to week 5/6 at 3-2 or 3-3 and the position will sort itself when people make their QBs available. We are still light years away from that.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  5. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

I’m not kicking dirt or crying. We start every season with 53 players. Many of them go down. It happens. If Patrick Mahomes goes out for the season is KC on the phones trying to trade for Burrow? No team is trading us their backup. The only possible option out there is Wentz. We all know he sucks too, and apparently he’s such a massive douche that at 30 years old he can’t get a job in the league, so wtf do you want?

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  6. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

[
    You're not wrong. Was not like Zach was gonna get cut. Teams only keep 2 QB's on their roster now. If you have a good vet backup on your PS, they would get pilfered pretty quickly so that was not an option.

It's just a shame Zach sucks so much, i think that's what has this board frustrated the most.

7. dawinner127

zach just needs to buy mgmt time for another 4-5 weeks which is when we can possibly see backups being moved for 2 reasons: 1) they want a pick for a guy who will walk for nothing or 2) do right by a veteran guy to get a starting spot somewhere

It was always unrealistic to make a move this early. It doesn't matter how they do it. It doesn't matter if zach throws 500 interceptions. Just find a way to beat the pats this weekend and beat denver in week 5. Then it's house money the rest of the way and a QB will be available.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  8. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

What's really odd is that we haven't even made an addition like Streveler to the Practice Squad.

Zach hasn't exactly been a 16-17 game iron man and we could go to KC with Boyle under center and Cobb as QB2.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  9. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

If they lose on Sunday and Zach plays poorly, then I would expect (hope) Wentz to be at the Jets practice facility next week for a look. JD and Saleh risk losing the rest of the team if the losing continues and the QB remains a big reason why.

10. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I hate that plan and I think it is a bad one.

11. BrowningNagle

I could understand last week not making a move because it was a short week with travel. But for them not to bring in a QB this week though, I truly don't know what in the hell they are doing

Jets79, Ralebird and KWJetsFan like this.
  12. dawinner127

How come? Give an explanation to your reasoning.

You want to bring in Wentz? (I would be okay with this)

13. BrowningNagle

Yes. Wentz, Foles anyone that is better than Tim Boyle... which is not hard to find.

either we want the best players we can bring to the game or we don't.

"waiting it out" is the dumbest thing they can do. they talked a lot of shit all offseason about raising the standards and pushing for the playoffs and now 1 injury they are gonna "wait it out" and let the guy who failed last year and nearly broke the locker room try again at it

dawinner127 likes this.
  14. dawinner127

Wentz isn't going to come in and start over zach. that just isn't going to happen. you want wentz as a backup right now? Sure. I'm all in, but the trades they want to make to get minshew, brisset or tannenhill are the waiting part where zach needs to buy them time by just not throwing games away.

we can just agree to disagree but thats just the reality of the situation right now. they arent getting viable starter until week 8.

bicketybam likes this.
  15. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

if they were to trade for someone, does that basically cancel out rodgers returning?

16. dawinner127

Nah b/c it would be a rental until next year. Rodgers has 60 million reasons to come back next year + his ego is way to big to walk away after how hyped this offseason went. Rodgers will without a doubt be the starting QB in 2024 for the NYJ.

Jets79, ouchy and typeOnegative13NY like this.
  17. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

They could be doing this, but that's an extremely dangerous game for their employment.

People can debate picks and FA signings all they want, not getting a QB to be at minimum a backup for the next two months is basically Russian Roulette for their jobs. There's not one person who is going to accept they waited with hope of someone being available later in the season and then nothing materializes. It's one hundred percent fireable if it goes sideways.

dawinner127 likes this.
  18. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

Wouldn’t a tannehill, or cousins want a multi year deal?

19. dawinner127

They are both on expiring contracts. The Jets wouldn't extend either of them knowing Rodgers will be back in 2024.

I don't disagree with anything you are saying at all. A backup QB comes in and isn't ready by week 6 anyways? i don't know, i have no idea. they have to really believe zach cant fuck it up that bad where 3-3 is still a possibility by the bye week. Huge test this week so we'll see, but if this goes sideways starting this sunday this fanbase will go apoplectic (rightfully so)

20. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Pretty sure I read they reached out to Colt McCoy last week. He's the best back-up option available IMO and idk why we haven't signed him to the roster yet, unless it's money related. Also possible McCoy is waiting it out to see if another starter goes down so he's gets to be the unquestioned starter though.

Boyle should be the PS QB and "emergency QB" on gameday, we need someone else on the 53 man.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.