barlow over duckett.....why?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KOWIE, Aug 21, 2006.

1. Duk Dodgers

Duk Dodgers Active Member

That's just it, if the asking price is to high you have to look into other options. When you factor in that it is a contract year for duckett (few years left on the barlow deal), the asking price (presumeably higher for duckett), and duckett's skills (sure he's a better bruiser, but in an offense with chad p we need a guy who can block and catch passes as well), the choice is rather obvious.

For those crying over missing out on duckett, what has he done to prove himself? Sure barlow had a bad last two seasons, but I doubt duckett would've done any better behind the niners oline in previous years.

If you look at this transaction w/o being to narrow minded it easy to see this move is the better of the two.

2. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

Barlow for a 4th (I heard on NFL network that it was a set 4th, not conditional) is a very good deal. We feature him this season, and if he has a solid, healthy year we can either sign him to a new deal, or draft a 1st round RB in next years draft and trade Barlow for a 2nd or 3rd round pick. That's an excellent return on investment.

If he fails to impress we draft a 1st round RB in next years draft and cut Barlow, with no cap hit, and all we lost was a 2nd day pick.

Barlow is a complete back when healthy and behind an average or better OL, which San Fran has not had as of late. He has good size, very good speed and vision, can catch reasonably well, and can pick up the blitz. Barlow is a guy that people have forgotten about, and could very well end up being a steal. The only downside is if he excels for the next couple years, we'll be faced with the dilema of signing a 30 year old RB to a new deal, again.

Speaking of complete backs, if Curtis is done we currently don't have one. Houston is on the slow side and is below average at picking up the blitz, and Blaylock and Washington are only going to be 3rd down backs in the NFL. The Barlow pickup shows that the FO wants to win now. I like that, as I'm tired of all this "rebuilding" nonsense.

3. Duk Dodgers

Duk Dodgers Active Member

Wow.... :rofl: I can't believe what i'm reading.

First of all its not conditional, I've posted the link before in another thread but the niners took a 4th rounder that has no ability to change to something higher....before I think the jets were asking a 5th/6th rounder with the ability to move up based on perfomance, but thats irrelevant.

This front office has done as well as you can ask for, outside the fact that they waited too long to get a running back. Anyone who can complain about abe deal is just ignorant to the way the nfl works. Do you know how many 'top 5' talents escape to Free Agency each year....i'm glad we got something for him (since your so passionate about this issue please tell me who was the last guy to be traded for a 1st rounder, as it seems to happen all the time the way your bitching).

I'll be laughing it up in 2 years when everyone in KC looks back on the Herm deal as one of the worst moves they ever made.....what has Herm shown to deserve using a draft to acquire...a master motivator, I think not...yet you still complain. The only thing herm seemed to be motivating by was getting the hell out of our HC position.

It just looks like your hear to gripe about any/every move the jets make unless we get 1st round picks/talent, and sorry thats not the way things work. Even the average fan has managed to see the positive's in some of the moves the FO has made, but you somehow missed it.

4. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

KOWIE is a troll, he is a darksider with no clue. He rants about ABE....what did the niners get for Peterson? Zero, Zip, Nada....he was franchised and they could not pay him so they let him go, just like we would have had to. This shit is so last winter and i dont want to waist my time with it

5. mainejetsfan

mainejetsfan New Member

When you look at the deal that was ultimately made for Duckett, trading for Barlow makes sense. I wouldn't give up either a talent equal to Lelie or a high draft choice for a good, not top, running back.

6. kbgreen

kbgreen Well-Known Member

Looks like a 3rd and a 4th for Ducket at least it looks like that is what washington paid for him.

From espn:

ATLANTA -- Filling their need for a No. 3 wide receiver, the Atlanta Falcons on Tuesday night acquired disgruntled Denver Broncos veteran Ashley Lelie in a three-team trade, ESPN.com has learned.

The Falcons sent former first-round tailback T.J. Duckett to Washington. At worst, the Broncos will receive two draft choices from Washington -- third- and fourth-round picks -- and those picks could escalate based on a complicated formula.

The trade is expected to be announced Wednesday.

The deal sends to new teams two players, Duckett and Lelie, who have been the subject of considerable trade rumors for much of the offseason. Some Atlanta officials conceded on Tuesday night that the trade of Duckett, who enjoyed an excellent training camp and preseason, was a dicey one, because it leaves the club without a proven backup to starting tailback Warrick Dunn, who is 31 and entering his 10th season.

7. SigmaXJet

SigmaXJet Active Member

I'd rather have barlow for a 4th instead of trading a 3rd for duckett. I think Barlow is a better all around back anyway.

8. jetsman1

jetsman1 Active Member

I think a lot of Jets fans are going to be pleasantly surprised by Barlow when the season gets underway.The Niner's have had no offensive line the last few years and the running game as a whole has suffered because of that fact.If you look at Barlow's numbers before Newberry and every other decent Niner lineman retired you will see that he produced when the line gave him something to work with,and after they left his numbers fell off.It's common sense to see that the line had a whole lot to do with Barlow's struggles of late,and our line is better than the one that San Fran has been sporting over the last couple of years.
    Here is one other fact many of you may not realize.Even if you include Barlow's years behind that horrendous line the '49'ers were fielding the last couple season,he has a 4.1 yard per carry average FOR HIS CAREER!