B. Schottenheimer - Favre Quote on Playcalling

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Big Blocker, Oct 27, 2009.

1. bigmehl

bigmehl New Member

And that makes you what - late for the party

2. sunnygs97

sunnygs97 New Member

And I fully expect Mark Sanchez to get to this point within a few years.

3. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Big, I hosted the BS bash party, you know how I feel about his scheme, but I know it's not all his fault and I know Brett has to take his fair share of blame, I just don't understand how you can follow the Jets and not see his shortcomings as an OC.

Bob Sutton was a very good LB coach but he was crap as a DC maybe BS is not cutout to be an OC and he could be a great QB coach again, there is nothing wrong with that, not every football coach is good at everything.

4. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Your opinions are predictable in their homerism, it gets annoying after a while. Schotty and Favre had to work out a gameplan probably involving similar plays from the offense he came from that Schotty had in his playbook, and they devised an ad-hoc playbook from it.

Obviously, Favre didn't know the playbook. But he knew some of the philosophy, because half of it was WCO, which he came from. So they took out a lot of the Air Coryell stuff that Schotty likes, and worked out some terminology. The Jets had too many differing passing plays on the field last season for Favre to just have come out and call the few plays he liked. And the terminology from his days in Green Bay was totally different from the terminology that the Jets' offense knew, so if you think that Favre just walked into the huddle and called his own plays all day long, you are completely incorrect, it just would not work.

Did Favre change the plays in the huddle on occasion? I have no doubt that he did. But if you think he was doing it enough to take the playcalling out of Schotty's hands, I don't know what to tell you besides the obvious.

I don't like some of the decisions that the OC has made. And I criticize him when he makes mistakes. But he called a very good gameplan against the Raiders, and I have no trouble saying it.

But you don't just 'like' Schotty. You defend every single criticism of him on this board like he's a member of your family or something. That's why you get labeled as Schotty's Head Cheerleader. It's less about your opinion than it is about your complete lack of objectivity on the subject.

#44 abyzmul, Oct 27, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2009
  5. bigmehl

bigmehl New Member

Using the Bob Sutton analogy , everyone here last year wanted this guy gone including me. But when I stepped back and looked at all the circumstances I have to raise the question - If Sutton is so bad why did Rex a defensive minded coach retain him albeit in a lesser role.

Could it be that Mangini had a much larger influence on what his coordinators did . I remember 2006 when the Jets had a pretty dynamic offense without a lot of offensive talent. It was Mangini's rookie year and he was just feeling his way and not really on the overall power trip.

Rex has stated that he will let Brian call the offense , let's see what he can do with more control over the offensive gameplan. Maybe he's not the right guy , but this year is a proving ground. As fans we're all too quick to jump on schemes/players/coaches w/o knowing the full story on what the actual issues are.

6. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Not to quibble but a demotion is a demotion. The Jets rightly or wrongly have a history of retaining incompetents in positions they can do less damage in, including Badway. Jus sayin I don't think the Sutton example helps your argument.

As for Favre and last year, he DID make it sound like it was Brian running the O, not Mangini. It was him on the call with Favre, according to the quote.

Just to clarify I am not an overall detractor of BS, as you may recall from last week. But I do think the OC should at least have an understanding of who comes up with the original call and, if it is the typical meaning not Peyton Manning case, should be the one sending in the play that the Qb can review at the line, based on what he's seeing.

This is no defense of Favre, at least I don't think so, but if you think about it, unless you want to rely on a Qb having Manning's level of understanding and ability, and let's face if what current player in the whole league is more likely to be an HC someday than him, to expect the Qb to make the call in the huddle is quite a different thing than adjusting at the line. The OC should have a game plan and obviously has the ability to see game fotos and talk to the other coaches, see things the Qb can't perhaps see in the middle of the field. I think there's an advantage to that set up, and guess what it's the one most teams use.

Which imo is why Favre said what he did about it. He was surprised.

7. TheBlairThomasFumble

TheBlairThomasFumble Active Member

Bingo.

This is such horseshit from Favre. And if Shotty had never asked Favre what plays he wanted to call, that would have been Favre's complaint instead.

The guy had been running the WCO for what, 15 years? He's a first ballot hall of famer, and so Shotty asks him what plays he wants to run, and that's suddenly too much for Favre to handle?

Shotty deserves a lot of criticism for the play over last few weeks, but he's not responsible for the fact that Favre's arm was shot at the end of last season.

GFY, Brett.

8. bigmehl

bigmehl New Member

I can use the same argument of objectivity with your dislike of Shotty. Its not like you just dislike him -its like he ran over your dog or something.

I've defended Shotty for his gameplan against the Bills and in general this year. I also feel that many here have a pre-conceived notion about him before really allowing him a chance to run his offense. I believe I've made valid points and arguments and haven't resorted to namecalling or personal BS in doing so. We are probably going to continue to disagree , but I'm always willing to debate issues related to football so feel free to argue your points or chose to ignore me .

For the record I have no allegiance whatsoever to Shotty, I just feel he's a young OC who can potentially blossom alongside our young talented QB. I'd hate to have to start over again with another offensive scheme and new terminology.

9. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Good, because I have a whopper of a thread I'm posting on Thursday that will have plenty of arguing for you to do. I don't think you're going to be able to argue with reality, though.

10. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Favre is such an asshole, I don't even know where to begin. His tired ass excuses and blaming this franchise are out of line. I used to respect the hell out of this guy in Green Bay, but he's getting up there now with my Tom Brady hate.

11. zor

zor New Member

that's pretty rough on a QB who brought you a winning season in his first season.

12. zor

zor New Member

oh wait, i forget that he quit on you guys via the retirement thing he always does

13. Chrisp22

Chrisp22 Active Member

What was Favre's excuse this past weekend when the Vikings called pass twice on a goal line situation and ran (Hello, we have the best RB and O-line) only once?

They were forced to kick a field goal but was Schotty calling those plays?

Not to deflect flak towards Schotty, we certainly deserves some.

Shut up Favre. Just go away and STFU!!!

14. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Okay Big good point as to Bob Sutton, keep in mind though that Bob was formerly the LB coach for the Jets before he became their DC, guess where he is now? LB coach. So as to the reasoning behind why they kept him from my point of view as a former business owner myself, why get rid of him altogether when he can be utilized in a position where he showed he had some success.

In regards to 2006 the Jets were 18th in offense.(bsTM)

They were 6th in total defense.

They played 500 football until the 10th week, then they went 5-1 on the strength of the defense, made the playoffs and were thrashed by the Pats. So you are right they did what they could with an average offensive team.

However even though I feel a certain way about BS, I will not say another word about his scheme until the end of the season, you already know how I feel about it, so let's see what he does and hopefully he will have success and put together a SB caliber offense. :wink:

15. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

Shows what kind of asshole Favre really is. I don't care if you're a 2 year starter, your OC will ask you what you think should be run. It comes with a level of respect for your OFFENSIVE leader.

Don't worry, once the Vikings take a tailspin, he'll blame someone else.

16. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

Favre keeps waving his magic wand.... last season never happened, last season never happened.

Then to make sure he is absolved of any blame he goes on about his arm.... now it was that he was new and the OC was overtaxing him by asking for his input. BTW, they were 8-3 to start, so when did Schotty start asking him for input, before or after?