Article: Current player - Todd Bowles couldn't be more different than Rex

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Charlie Kelly, May 14, 2015.

1. mute

mute Well-Known Member

I remember the article where players really wanted to play for rex...

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk

2. Truth4U2

Truth4U2 Well-Known Member

NFL players are not stupid, they know Rex is a winner. I was watching the Jets-Fins game, week 17 of last season again that I DVR'd, and the announcers were talking up Rex and saying that if/when the Jets fire him, he will be highly sought after by other teams as a HC. And of course that's just what happened. Sadly, there have been countless other talented players and coaches that the Jets have discarded who have gone on to have great careers with other teams.

3. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Like....??

Vilma, maybe? John Abraham who wanted to leave? Chad who had 1 good year? Coles who had his best years with us? I'm not seeing it here Lloyd.

4. plasticsloth

plasticsloth Well-Known Member

I was a fan of Rex as well but it was time to go. I'm sure he'll have some success with the Bills but I'm sure he'll also fall into the same traps. Ignoring the offense in the offseason and then subsequently shoehorn his opinion in the middle of the season with his ground and pound philosophy. Running a completely undisciplined team. When Rex got here the penalties skyrocketed from the days of Mangini and Herm. And of course the unwanted media attention he brings.

Rex runs a good defense and the Bills defense will be very good. But the Jets got worse every single year Rex was here. At that point it's time to get rid of a coach.

5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Highly sought after to the point where Atlanta interviewed him but didn't hire him and the only other team in pursuit was Buffalo basically vying to stick it to us as there's no way they needed a defensive coach?

I don't think he's a bad coach but there were what 8 teams out there with vacancies and he only drew heavy interest from one.

6. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Atlanta didn't hire him because they didn't have a chance. The fact that he took the Bills job doesn't equate to Atlanta not wanting to hire him, it just means they werent ready to hire him immediately upon the interview which isn't unusual. If it was usual to hire a coach so quickly nobody would have been shocked at how quickly the Bills hired Rex.

7. Charlie Kelly

Charlie Kelly Well-Known Member

Rex definitely won early but is he really a "winner"? What coaches are you comparing him to?

8. Jonathan_Vilma

There were murmurs that ownership didn't like him and his big guy on the block demeanor. As far as I know he wasn't lined up for any other coaching interviews. Regardless of this, I'm not here to bash Rex, but it's not like all 8,9 teams with vacancies were lined up to interview him like some clouded fans think.

He's a good NFL head coach, but not a great highly coveted one that fans think. If he doesn't learn from his mistakes here he'll never jump to the next step up of success.

9. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

He got a job faster than anyone else out there, didn't he? That pretty much says it all.

10. Truth4U2

He won early when he had good rosters. The last 2 seasons, his talent base was eroded, especially last season by Idzik not giving him any secondary players to work with, except for a rookie (Pryor). That severely limited what he could do on defense. On offense, it does fall on him that he couldn't hire a decent OC to save his job. But perhaps the GM should have made that hire for him, knowing Rex is a defense guy who knows very little about the offense. Someone in the organization more qualified to evaluate OC should have hired someone to run the offense for Rex.

His first 2 seasons he almost took us to the SB with a crappy OC and Mark Sanchez as his QB. That shows me that if he had just a little more support from the FO and better offensive personnel, he would have won at least 1 SB for us. Bottom line, he was great at what he does, and a great motivator as HC, he just didn't get the support he needed here. If Maccagnan was his GM the whole time I'm convinced he would have won at least a couple super bowls for us. Speaking of bowls, let's hope Todd Bowles is a good HC, because he's got a ton of talent to work with!

11. Truth4U2

You say the Jets got worse every year Rex was here, but that's not entirely true. He made it to the AFC title game his first 2 seasons, so you can't say we were worse in year 2 of Rex. But after that, we did get worse, but how much of that was Rex's fault and how much was the erosion of the roster by his GM's, especially Idzik last year? A HC can only do so much when his players are getting worse year after year.

12. Charlie Kelly

Two oversized paragraphs that don't even begin to answer the real question I asked you

Do you really want to be known as someone that cops out all day

13. Truth4U2

Winners don't compare themselves to other people. They become the best versions of themselves, and they create their own legacy. That's why I ignored your nonsensical question, and instead responded to the other part of your post.

But if you want to compare him to other Jets coaches, he's the best we've had since Weeb Ewbank. Parcells and Walt Michaels each took us to one AFC title game and lost, Rex did that twice. So he's better than those guys. And nobody else ever took us that far, except Ewbank.

14. Charlie Kelly

Another bullshit post by you, good going you are keeping your streak alive. There is no other way to identify winner coaches and loser coaches without comparing them to their peers. There are 32 HCs in the league and only a certain percentage of them can be identified as successful because success, or "winning", is an actually quantifiable property. Doing otherwise is false entitlement, you call the guy a winner and don't acknowledge the mean position of what a winner or loser is.

#74 Charlie Kelly, May 17, 2015
    Last edited: May 17, 2015
  15. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

He said (a) the team Rex inherited had a bunch of "smart veteran leaders" and, (b) Rex "helped dismantle" that team. The logical inference is Rex was responsible for getting rid of those smart veteran leaders. I asked who they were ... and my next question was going to be what evidence exists that Rex was responsible for those "smart veteran leaders" no longer being on the team.

16. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

I'm simple. Rex is a good coach when he has a team full of hard working veterans. Other than that,
    Eh, Rex inherited a stacked team and took them to the AFC Championship twice (Being let into the playoffs by the team that would eventually beat them one time as well).
    Parcells inherited a 1-15 team and built them into a team that was able to get to win the division and get to the AFC Championship.

Rex wasn't horrible, but I'd take the Tuna.

MoWilkBeast likes this.
  17. bartscott

bartscott Well-Known Member

Rex wanted the Atlanta job, but Blank didn't want him. At least that's how it was reported. After Buffalo offered Rex the job, he called Atlanta one more time to see if the wanted him, and Blank said Nuh uh.

Any one who says Rex Ryan is a better coach than Bill Parcells is friggin clueless. The Parcells coaching tree is still winning super bowls.

18. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

that's a nice story but it's not fact. plenty gets reported that isn't the truth.

19. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Blank wanted Rex but I think Dimitroff wasn't feeling it honestly. Rex and Mike Smith are close so I think that played a part in it.

Rex regressed as a coach here and while I loved the bravado for the most part I hated how he seemingly got worse and the team kept making the same mistakes.

20. Jonathan_Vilma

What else can we really go on other than what's reported? Where's your inside source that says Atlanta was prepared to make Rex an offer? How many teams scheduled him for interviews? 2? If he was that highly touted as everyone seems to think he would've been scheduled for a lot more interviews.

He was a good coach but he wasn't as highly coveted as people like to think, he wasn't even a really hot commodity when the Jets hired him and the Ravens didn't even want him as a head coach.