Article: Current player - Todd Bowles couldn't be more different than Rex

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Charlie Kelly, May 14, 2015.

1. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

It's a fact? I'm sure it is easy to name multiple examples of it.

2. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I remember Rex driving Revis to the airport

ajax likes this.
  3. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Been out of NY for years and don't remember that paper from when I was there but they seem to stretch it a bit. You could tell they were probably trying to get the players to bash Ryan and when they couldn't really get a bashing quote they filled in what they wanted to. I certainly believe players talked about how different Bowles is but the paper is definitely trying to get some controversy going.

They are also reporting that the WellsReportContext.com was a site started by the P*ts. Seems the P*ts already have a site they could use for their rebuttal and wouldn't go through godaddy to buy another site just to put that jumbled mess up. I hate the P*ts like everyone but that site it seems is just some abortion dreamed up by some of their fans. I could be wrong though.

I know the Post and Daily News were never at the apex of journalistic integrity but this Metro seems to be swinging way below both of them.

#23 The Waterboy, May 15, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The thing that sets good head coaches apart from bad head coaches is the ability to adjust.

Rex's rah rah style still works in today's NFL, it's the inability to not only make in game adjustments but adjustments as the season progress. Regardless if something worked in the past, Rex refused to change his philosophy based on what teams were giving him. Granted he didn't overload blitz Peyton Manning this year, and slowed down with it as the year progressed but given the horses he came into the season with he should've went into the year playing exotic coverages and letting his big four go to work upfront. Instead he blitzed us into a terrible record that we couldn't climb back From.

The Dolphins game is a good example of terrible adjustments. He came into the game and ran all over the Dolphins the first half which was clearly his philosophy as that's not Marty's scheme at all. He should've came out in the second half play action passing all over them after running for nearly 200 yards. Instead he went ahead and forced it much like he forced his blitz packages.

Another reason he failed was the predictability of the defense. His overload blitz was no longer creative. Quarterbacks figured out that they just need an elongated snap count to see where the multiple defensive backs were coming from as the blitzes were all timing and overload based. Not many blitzes up the gut at all or pressure from both sides. All teams had to do was watch tape and realize they just need to make the defense show which side they were coming and shift the protection.

We'll see if this coaching staff can adjust on the fly and not get so set in their ways like Rex did. There's a lot of unknowns about Bowles at this point including things Rex failed at like challenging plays, calling timeouts and sideline management. One would assume we will get better at that but we really have no idea how Bowles will handle that type of game management since he's never done it.

I like him and I think he'll be a good coach but we need to see how he manages the game as that's the biggest adjustment he'll have to make moving from coordinator to head coach.

We'll also have to see how he handles the personalities. Rex let outspoken guys like Mo take plays off and get tossed from the Green Bay game as well as let Richardson call an inadvertent timeout in that same game. Does Bowles command the respect of those same guys to the point where the in game discipline problems will go away? We hope so, and thst they won't stay true to their love for Rex letting them run wild. It becomes an adjustment for the players as well but success talks and we'll see what happens.

We as fans should respect what Rex did for this franchise though. He took a team with no identity or maybe perhaps an identity of wanting to be the Patriots when in reality we ended up their little brother during the Mangini era. The shady injury reports, the boring press conferences and the disasterous Mike Nugent draft that made us look like we thought we were smarter than the rest of the league (even though Mangini did a lot to reconstruct the roster that he handed over to Rex). We were in a crappy position image wise and Rex restored that as a team that could contend before the salary cap ate us alive and our roster crumbled. I'll never understand how people claim to hate Rex. He did a lot for this franchise but his act wore thin and sometimes it's just time to go.

#24 Jonathan_Vilma, May 15, 2015
    Last edited: May 15, 2015
    LAJet and Charlie Kelly like this.
  5. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

It's a little few page tabloid rag that is given out for free to commuters, at least it used to be that way. Kristian Dyer is the writer and Jets guy for it.
    Dyer can be good, but he's looking to compete with Cimini, Mehta, Costello, and the like, and seemed to join the bashing bandwagon when 'the circus' was at it's peak with Rex, Tanny and Woodster... seemed to relish all the craziness. If I was a player I wouldn't trust that guy...if, any actually bothered talking to him. But he can be more endearing than the others mentioned, I just think he likes being controversial now, imo.

Change is good however. And I'm happy for it. It's a common thing to hire a coach with a different approach, in all sports, and I see Bowles as a much different person than Rex. I wanted Rex to succeed but I'm glad he's gone.

#25 Walt White, May 15, 2015
  6. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Bah. Just win some goddamned games already.

Cman68, Jake and NY Jets68 like this.
  7. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Its easy to say that now in May,But if the Bills make the playoffs and we don't there's gonna be a lot of unhappy people around here.Now that expectations are so high there's no where to go but down

8. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

What the hell does this even mean? Have you actually read any posts on this board about what the expectations are? Most have us hovering around 8-8. How is there nowhere to go but down? You're trying way too hard to complain.

NYJetsO12, Cman68 and Charlie Kelly like this.
  9. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

That's his "thing".

Charlie Kelly likes this.
  10. The Waterboy

Oh I am definitely happy with the change and with the choice of Bowles. I just don't like the writers that like to stir things up, report on football we don't need a soap opera.

11. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Keep in mind that up in Buffalo, they have a new Ownership and needed to make a splash signing. It was no coincidence Rex got the job there as it instantly added charisma to a bland and boring Buffalo Bills organization. Try to see the big picture next time. The hiring had less to do with Rex and more to do with establishing credibility and goodwill with the people buying the PSL's and the swag.

Bowles otoh, is working with an entirely different dynamic than Rex. Bowles has a GM that knows personnel and evidently has a plan. Bowles seems to let his work do his talking and the players are picking up on that..

Anyone else notice the silence this year? Just the occasional "we can be the best" statements instead of the "I'm the best ____ in the NFL" BS from years gone by? That folks, is what a no nonsense coach does for a team. I wonder how long the Jets can keep their mouths shut and simply play the game. So far? So good!!

Keep it up Jets! I'll be watching.. :)

#31 Cman68, May 15, 2015
  12. Walt White

I know...I'm with you ;)

13. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I don't think this pairing works as Rex always wanted input on the roster

14. Walt White

Sounds like you'll be happy then

Rex remorse? gtfoh, lmao. That's for sissy's. Fuck Rex already

15. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

You're wrong here. Nobody expects the Jets to make the playoffs this year but the expectations for the Bills are much higher thanks to Rex. 6-10 to a max of 9-7 with most in the 8-8 range has been what I've seen so far for predictions. No one is overrating this team now.

Look, we all know you're still pissed about Rex but give it a break already. Rex is gone and a lot of us either don't care or are happy about it. We care about the Jets and couldn't give a shit if Buffalo wins, loses or forfeits. What happened in Orchard Pk? Don't know, don't care.

16. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Playoffs? going 8-8? How bout we win a game first

17. DMarsh6

DMarsh6 Active Member

I truly believe that Francesa knows his stuff and he said Bowles will be a good HC. I'm really excited about this guy. It's amazing at how miserable we were a few months ago.

#37 DMarsh6, May 15, 2015
    onefanjet likes this.
  18. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

I agree it's about the Ws, it's about getting results on the field.

I do think it's a bit different this time because some of the off the field stuff got so bad under Rex and he brought in unlikeable personalities like Holmes, Pettine, Brunell, Vick, Mason people I didn't wanna root for. Frickin' locker room cancers.

And the team got tilted so much towards the D side of the ball with the D being top 10 every year while the O got bottom of the barrel QB play, the turnovers etc.

I'm very much looking forward to the new regime cleaning up the off the field stuff, locker room and making the team more balanced.

19. The Waterboy

I think Bowles is going to be a good HC but not because Francesa says so, he says what he does to get listeners, I think there are a multitude of posters on here with more football knowledge than Francesa.

20. 24McNeil

24McNeil Well-Known Member

C'man, I see the big picture.....and i lol at the situation that the Bills were played. They lost there HC unexpectedly to supposedly the NYJ and in a rash mistake hired our old HC to negate that sting of rejection......it's a classic defense mechanism without proper thought and reason.

We will see the Bills play sporadic ball and eventually face the dilemma of paying an awful contract or trying to compete. Either way, the Bills made a huge mistake by hiring this clown, just like we did regardless of how lucky his first couple of years turned out. Barry Switzer anyone??????