Around the League Tim Tebow Could Cover Kickoffs for New York Jets

Discussion in 'Tebowmania' started by The Uniform Bomber, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Apple Jack

Apple Jack Banned

I don't think I'm understanding your point then.

If the Jets intentionally brought in Tebow as primarily a non QB player (and not really the backup), then they need a true BU, who can come in and play if Sanchez goes down from an injury. All logic demands that be Stanton, not McElroy. Stanton has already started a number of games and although nothing spectacular, he's shown he can be a capable backup. And if I remember correctly, Stanton's money was mostly guaranteed so in trading him, they lost the million (or whatever the figure was).

We're still carrying 4 QB's as the Jets have signed Simms. I know he'll probably be PS, but why couldn't they have kept Sanchez/Stanton/Tebow with McElroy on PS?

I don't buy that releasing Stanton because he wanted it would be a factor if Tebow isn't the real backup. The jets have said on numerous occasions that Tebow was the backup. An organization that lied that blatantly to Tebow wouldn't hesitate to keep a guy who didn't want to be there. Especially if there was a "wink and a nod" regarding who the REAL backup was no matter what the roster actually said.

2. reverseapachemaster

Possible but not probable. If Tebow is used as a wildcat QB and on ST then you have to completely change the offense to accommodate Tebow's skills and the absence of the wildcat, plus take him off ST. It would make more sense to put in McElroy and just play Tebow a lot more.

3. reverseapachemaster

You forget Sanchez's backup the last few years was not a serious backup.

4. TTTTebowAndTheJets

So you pick option C from my previous list :p

I don't disagree with this, I just don't think its the likely option and I think it would go against their rhetoric to this point.

5. Jim-Jet

Jim-Jet Banned

Tebow's PRESEASON rating last year was 108. McElroy's was in the 80's - Sanchez was just below Tebow's. If you don't think preseason number's are important why use preseason as a yardstick for who will start or be the backup? You went there - own it. Or - you can just move the yardstick again. You think McElroy looked good enough last year with a rating in the 80's and it was pointed out if you think that was good how about a 108? Personally - I think it is just another attempt to discredit Tebow entirely with bogus information once again. I could care less what any of them did in preseason. Tebow ain't ready and needs to improve. We don't know if he will or not.

6. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

I think this is a big mystery right now, and perhaps, at the moment, the Jets don't even know who would take the reigns if Sanchez got injured; maybe they won't know until September.

It's plausible that if Sanchez suffers an injury, then McElroy steps in as the inital backup. I'm not sure how long he would last, but the reason I think they'd turn to him first is that, with Tebow at QB, a completely different Offense needs to be installed. For example, D'brick at LT no longer protects the blindside because Tebow is left-handed. So, what happens? Can D'brick move to RT (I have no idea)? Is Otah/Wayne Hunter relied upon to protect Tebow's blindside?

And that is only one issue; what about having to install a different Offense to properly use Tebow's QB skills? A major adjustment like that requires time, and if you can avoid such a drastic change mid-season, then you avoid it; so, it'd make more sense to maintain Offensive continuity by starting McElroy.

I agree, but the Jets haven't had a "true backup" to Sanchez since they drafted him, so this falls right in line with the previous 3 Seasons.

Exactly. If the Jets feel Tebow is much more valuable playing various roles, then they can't start him at QB (if Sanchez got injured) while still utilizing his skills in those other roles.

7. TTTTebowAndTheJets

Can't argue with that logic... I don't agree with it :p

But i'm also not going to argue it. Guess we'll have to wait and see. Hopefully Sanchez doesn't get hurt and it won't be an issue. I want Tebow to play as much as possible, but not at the expense of Sanchez getting hurt.

8. Backup QB

Backup QB Active Member

It is possible, but highly unlikely. Tebow is the #2 backup. I'd go as far as to say he is the #1.5 backup QB. McElroy is not even in the conversation except in your mind.

9. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

Exactly.

I'm not as old as some of the Jets fans around here, but I've been a fan for a long time, and I want nothing more than for the team to succeed.

And I'm not rooting against Tebow; on the contrary, I want him to be utilized as much as possible because he offers a lot within the Offense. For instance, I'd love to see him catch a little swing pass in the flat and then turn it upfield.

What's annoying (and also a bit hypocritical) is that there's a faction of Tebots who only want Tebow to succeed as a full-time QB. And as it becomes more apparent that that's not his role, those people get angry and defensive on his behalf, when they should just support him in his non-QB roles that the Jets are implementing.

10. TTTTebowAndTheJets

Add the word "currently" before that and you won't hear nearly as much debate... It's the "he'll never" that people like me defend against.

11. Demosthenes9

Demosthenes9 Well-Known Member

If Tebow isn't to be the actual backup QB, then the Jets would/should have kept Stanton and sent McElroy packing.

As for the "blindside" issue, how many defensive RTs switch right to left to where that would be an issue ? The LT on most defenses is less of a pass rusher and more of a run stopper. Thing is, it's about as difficult for the defender to switch from left to right as it is for an Oline guy to switch sides.

Contrary to popular opinion, Denver didn't scrap the entire playbook and install a completely new offense for Tebow. All they did was expand the usage of some parts of the existing playbook and add some option runs. By "expand the usage", what I mean is that something like passes from shotgun formation were used a lot more than they were with Orton. Where Orton might only go to shotgun a handful of times, Tebow was in it more often.

Go back and watch some games and you will see that Tebow actually spent a lot of time under center running a "normal" NFL offense.

If Tebow is the better QB of the two, then it wouldn't make any sense at all to put McElroy in as the backup, just so that you can have Tebow come in and do the same things he would do if Sanchez were the QB. It'd make much more sense to have Tebow in as the starter.

12. CowboysFan

CowboysFan Banned

That is a statement you can make after he has been in the league 5 or 6 years, anything before that is just foolish. That goes for ANY NFL QB on ANY roster who has only played 2 seasons (barely).

13. CowboysFan

CowboysFan Banned

Can you help point out this faction you are talking about? i don't see it on these boards, are you sure its not in your imagination?

14. CowboysFan

CowboysFan Banned

Well since you brought it up Tebow's career QB rating is higher than Sanchez's, so what are you saying with that? I thought so, who cares about QB rating then?

I am not implying who is better or not, I like Sanchez and feel he needs to be the starter but don't bring up QB rating in one situation and not in another.

15. catsigater

catsigater New Member

I want Tebow to succeed as a full-time QB. I'd say after last year, it's far from apparent that's not his role, but I'm neither angry nor defensive about it.

I recognize there's reason to doubt his ability to succeed at QB. I happen to disagree.

16. catsigater

catsigater New Member

If Tebow has completed 1.18 more passes per game, his completion percentage would be 55%. You really have to be a complete hater to think that's not possible.

17. #1 Jets Fan

#1 Jets Fan Guest

So would it be foolish to get rid of Sanchez if he sucks this season? This is his 4th year and not 5th or 6th.

18. TTTTebowAndTheJets

It would be foolish to say he absolutely sucks... there's no hope... and that he'll NEVER amount to anything in this league. That's the equivalency we're talking about here... not getting rid of a player or not.

19. FakeSpike13

FakeSpike13 Banned

Perhaps you have a problem with reading comprehension...

McElroy didn't make it out of the Preseason last year without getting hurt and subsequently placed on IR.

20. catsigater

catsigater New Member

But he looked good doing it, and that's what counts.