Are we getting Olivea?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by nyjcanada, May 26, 2008.

1. -MC-

-MC- Active Member

I have alot more faith in Moore than Woody. People forget Moore was on the 04 line. And Woody.. I just think hes gonna be a below average fatty.

2. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

Which is why it's going to be disastrous if he is our RT. Let him be a fatty at Guard.

3. EarlytoRise

EarlytoRise Member

As I said in another thread, watching the NFL Replay of the Cowboys @ Lions game from last season raised my hopes for Woody. He seemed to be holding his own for the entire game and even looked to be a force on one particular goal line TD. Not saying he'll be a beast or anything but I think we may be underestimating him a bit.

4. RevisCB

RevisCB New Member

After watching him play i'm looking forward to seeing him with us, against the best defenses he seemed to hold his own, add him to a much improved Jets line and i can't see how you can't be optimistic about the guy.

5. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Are there any teams that still have mini-camps comming up? What is he waiting for?

6. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Not a fan of Moore.

7. Raiderjoe

Raiderjoe Banned

Some team might not have cleared the cap room yet. Also For the team , lets them get some good looks at other players they might not, if Olivea was there. You pretty much know what a healthy Olivea is. You have a whole training camp to incorporate him into your scheme.

8. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

Olivea was just suspended for violating the NFL drug policy and won't be able ot play the first 4 games. Wonder if this will have any effect on us going after him.

9. JetMonkey

JetMonkey Member

10. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

That's too bad - probably explains why he was on the market for so long.

----------------
    Now playing: Kanye West - I Wonder
    via FoxyTunes

11. 17a_tailgater

17a_tailgater Active Member

12. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

Final answer is.......................nope.

He just signed w/the Giants.

13. Denny

Denny Active Member

That sucks. I was hoping for more depth.

14. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Huge letdown... I'da preferred him over Woody.

15. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

Olivea is on IR and will be released when healthy.

http://www.nj.com/giants/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-1/121877502365900.xml&coll=1

New York Giants OT Shane Olivea injured at camp
    Friday, August 15, 2008
    BY MIKE GARAFOLO
    Star-Ledger Staff
    OLIVEA PLACED ON IR

OT Shane Olivea's biggest issues were supposed to be off the field and in his head, not on the field and in his back. But Olivea, who battled an addiction to painkillers that led to his being released by the Chargers, was injured early last week during camp and couldn't get healthy quick enough for the Giants' liking.

So yesterday, the team placed him on injured reserve with the intention of releasing him with an injury settlement when he's healthy again.

"We had an extended amount of time here where we tried to improve his situation and it didn't seem like we were getting very far," coach Tom Coughlin said. "It's very unfortunate because we thought when we first brought Shane in it would be something where both parties would benefit. You add a veteran and you have a guy that's going through some things and was anxious to really start his career over."

Olivea, 26, was once considered one of the league's best young linemen, but his drug addiction affected his play on the field and his attitude off it. Earlier this year, after an intervention, he spent time in rehab and was trying to rebuild his reputation with the Giants.

Now, he'll have to get healthy and find another team. Once released by the Giants, he will be free to sign with another team and play immediately.

"We thought this was the right situation," Coughlin said. "We worked him out, he was in outstanding shape, we didn't think there was going to be any down time whatsoever. And the unfortunate thing is, on his best practice, that very evening he couldn't come back to practice. It's unfortunate, but we wished him well and hopefully he'll get himself back to where he feels good about having an opportunity."

16. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

If the kid is willing to be a depth player, and be paid like one while he slowly turns his life around, I still would be willing to give him a chance.

17. notjustQBs

notjustQBs New Member

This guy has a bad back. If Coughlin said they worked him out and he was in outstanding shape and on his best practice that very evening he couldn't come back to practice....

This guy is not healthy. What it's going to take for him, so "well-motivated" as he reportedly is, to get his back into football shape is a great mystery.

This 4 game suspension is for pain-killers -- Olivea was taking too damned many pain-killers, he is not just another pill-head. He is addicted because he hasn't been able to function without them -- for real.

These pain-killers were probably no longer prescribed for him because they were essentially palliative -- they weren't helping him get well, they were allowing him to try and ignore the pain of the back's injury, whatever it was.

Having said all this, Olivea is not really a viable alternative. Forget about it.

Next...!

18. nyjcanada

nyjcanada Active Member

i dunno, it hardly sounds like he'll get a gig ever again

19. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

what was he in rehab for? Pain killers?

20. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

...and he wouldn't have to move:up: