Are the JETS to trade Kyle Wilson & If so, what is the trade value and positive or negative impacts?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by deeznuts21, Apr 10, 2014.

?

In your opinion when/how would the JETS get more value out of Kyle Wilson?

1. Trade him before the draft.

5 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Trade him during the draft.

16 vote(s)
    64.0%
  3. Trade him after the draft.

4 vote(s)
    16.0%
  1. Donttasemebro

Donttasemebro Well-Known Member

cimini is a dick. fuck him and manish. They've turned into incarcerated bob lite.

2. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

I would label him as a bust though... That's like drafting a WR in the first round and he sucks, but he moves to Kicker and has a great career.. Is that guy a bust or a success? Yea he did great as a kicker, but he wasn't brought in to do that... The Jets based that draft pick on a need for a number 1 or 2 corner.. Not a nickel guy.

3. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

nickel corner is an important position though. it's kind of like drafting a WR on the outside and he struggles then moving him to the slot.

4. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

Yea I see what you are saying... I just wish he could have been more than a nickel corner. Maybe he will improve. I do think this is his last year here though.. When it comes time to resign, I think Idzik is going to let him walk.

5. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Wilson was taken at the tail end of the first round, I mean he's basically a second round talent in many drafts. A guy taken in the second round wouldn't be considered a bust if he developed into a top end Nickel corner in a defense where nickel corners are important.

6. nyjunc

we all do and the Jets do but at least he has been a contributor. contract year, maybe he steps up like Farrior '01? you never know.

7. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Where are you getting this idea? They gave up a 2nd round pick for Cro, of course he was the long-term solution. If not for his bad hip, he would still be a Jet.

Wilson is an excellent slot CB, you draft players to fit the scheme and Wilson does just that.

8. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

He is taking it to the endzone if he held on. We would have had a 24-17 ballgame in the middle of the third quarter.

9. nyjunc

I may be mistaken but that was early 3rd qtr just after we scored to cut it to 24-10 and then the next play we got a roughing the punter penalty, eventually we got a deep INT and got the ball inside our 20 but we probably lost 5 minutes and great FP. if he picks it and falls down we are just about in FG range. game changing play that we never really talk about.

10. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

I think it was a bit more fluid than that. They gave up a second for Cro with 1 year left on his contract and didn't extend him when they drafted Kyle Wilson. There's no guarantee they considered Wilson more than a slot guy but if Cro was the long term guy why not extend him before free agency? Especially considering they went after Naamdi before eventually re-signing Cro.

11. 101GangGreen101

So what this tells me is that, it was their intention to put Kyle Wilson in the slot. Especially if they are looking to acquire another CB on the other end. If Wilson was drafted to be a #1 or #2, they would not acquire Cro or chase Nnamdi.

12. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Not true, Wilson was drafted to replace Cro. Cro was on a one year deal, the Jets let him become a free agent. They chased Nnamdi, but ended up resigning Cromartie because they didnt believe in Wilson.

Jay Bizniss likes this.
  13. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Yeah, Cro was the fallback option. Rex wanted Revis and Nnamdi paired up all along.

As far as Wilson goes, it seemed pretty clear to me that Rex was building defense back-forward and wanted a superior nickle d-back to contend with the offenses that were living by the slot receiver, New England in particular. Wilson looked to be the supposed answer to Welker that never materialized. Rex had him penciled in as starting slot corner days after he was drafted.

I'm sure there were thoughts about Wilson possibly ending up outside, but they don't appear to have made an effort to do that, since they kept him inside and kept seeking solutions outside in Cro, Nnamdi, etc.

As far as this thread goes, I only go to the Latino Post to beat off the the thumbnail pics of Telemundo chicas.

14. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

It was around the 40 yard line and yeah we had the penalty, we ended up picking him off later in the drive but nothing came of it. If Wilson picks it he is going to the endzone or at least the Jets would be setup near the redzone in the middle of the third.

[​IMG]

I know this pictures not clear but at this point the ball was in Wilsons hands, he had already jumped the reciever. Antonio Brown had no chance to get him because his momentum was carrying him forward. It sucks becuase he had a chance to either return it or set the Jets up in good field position.

#74 soxxx, Apr 11, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
  15. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

That's not what the word bust means. You are also arguing apples and oranges. You can't compare a guy coming into the league as a wide receiver and then panning out as a kicker to a corner. The fact is, there are multiple "types" of corners. Yes, Kyle Wilson was brought in to be the guy opposite Revis, but what ended up happening? Cromartie took off and became that guy. Wilson developed into a solid slot corner and has started for us there since. Wilson can't be labeled as a bust. A bust refers to a player who comes in at a high level and falls on his face and becomes irrelevant. Gholston was a bust, Stephen Hill might be a bust, but Kyle Wilson just fit better in the slot.

You lack the understanding of the word. A guy who is drafted as a receiver and ends up being a punter is another world. A guy who is brought in as a corner and ends up succeeding still at corner, just in the slot is not bust material. Is he labeled as a disappointment? Yes. Absolutely. Is he a bust? No way.

You can argue it until you are blue in the face, but Kyle Wilson has done a great job for us. Is he elite material? Hell no. But he has been solid in holding down the slot. Trading him away would set us back a couple steps, not move us forward. Keeping him here is something this organization should definitely do.

16. 101GangGreen101

This literally makes no sense. They drafted Wilson the SAME off-season as when they acquired Cromartie (this doesn't matter if it was a 1 yr deal or not) - so what you are telling me is the same season they drafted Wilson, they decided after one year that Wilson isn't the man? How dumb is that?

They chased Nnamdi because they thought he was a better CB then Cromartie. Wilson was drafted to be a slot CB. Rex Ryan wanted 3 reliable CBs, not every CB can play in the slot. Cromartie cannot play in the slot, Nnamdi cannot play in the slot.

17. milo

milo Well-Known Member

Here's an idea...let's stop trading corners for draft picks, which we then have to use on more corners, just keep what we have and DRAFT SOME GODDAMN OFFENSE.

18. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

I understand the frustration, but after WR, CB is our highest position of need right now. Crazy to think about after the years of luxury, but it's true.

19. 101GangGreen101

CB is not our 2nd highest position of need. Free Safety is far more important.

20. Barcs

Barcs Banned

LOL. Yeah, we're totally going to trade Wilson. His value is so high and he totally hurts the cap, plus we are soooooo deep at corner. LOL at this unsubstantiated hogwash. There aren't any Wilson trading rumors, just dumb fans and even dumber beat writers.

Where's the option for "don't trade him"? Failpoll. Everyone thinks Wilson is garbage because we don't see him making a lot of plays, but don't forget that when a corner is doing his job, balls will not come his way. Not seeing Kyle Wilson on TV means he's playing well. I'd go as far to say that he's one of the better slot corners in the league.

#80 Barcs, Apr 11, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
    Spike_D likes this.