Are Pats receivers REALLY that much better?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Hobbes3259, Sep 6, 2007.

1. NYJ 13A

NYJ 13A New Member

I truly hate saying this, but right now, not even counting the O Line, it's tough to put Tom Brady in the same category as Chad Pennington. If you want to out the O Line discussion in there, fine. Let's do it. Pennington takes a 7 step drop and has all the protection in the world. He sees Cotchery has a step on his man downfield and must hit him on the run to avoid an underthrown interception. This throw alone is what seperates Tom Brady from Chad. No one else is open and we need Chad to throw a 30 yard strike to lead Cotch and score a TD. Tight spiral, or a rainbow that we could intercept?

Guys...I love this team as much as you do, but let's be real. Scrambling, playing under pressure, and running 2 minute drills like it's nothing, are just quick points alone why we can't say if Chad had the line Brady does they would be equal.

Aside from that, I think our receiving corp is right there with NE's. The question is, how will their side respond, and will ours continue to progress?

2. Sean_in_titletown

This will be a great thread to call up on Monday...That's all I'm gonna say. I've honestly never heard of Stuckey in my entire life. Now he's better than Wes Welker who had 80+ catches last year?

3. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Actually, I looked at some film this past weekend, and Pennington MAKES that throw.

Regularly.

In Miami last year, he hit Cotchery 30 yards downfield, in stride between two defenders for 6.

3-7-MIA 32 (8:35) (Shotgun) C.Pennington pass deep middle to J.Cotchery to MIA 1 for 31 yards (R.Hill). Play Challenged by NYJ and REVERSED. (Shotgun) C.Pennington pass deep middle to J.Cotchery for 32 yards, TOUCHDOWN.

As well as this fan favorite.

3-13-NYJ 29 (6:30) (No Huddle, Shotgun) C.Pennington pass deep right to J.Cotchery for 71 yards, TOUCHDOWN

The throw was 30, the run for 40 more.

No Pressure on him. Its with guys in the face, that Brady separates from Chad.

Chad either throws it way, or eats it, and Brady accurately hits a guy downfield.

That is the Singular difference.(Though it is a HUGE one...)

4. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Stuckey has never played a game, so there's a good reason you've never heard of him. He'll probably only play on special teams if at all.

5. joesmoe39

joesmoe39 Active Member

who reciever's are better, blah, blah, blah!!! fact is, we're about to find out soon enough. the only thing i laugh at here is the brady comparison. anyone that tries to put penny in the same sentence as brady is a major homer... the two are in completely different levels... noodle arm (16 td's and 17 interceptions), enough said right there!

6. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

That's what seperates Brady from a lot of QBs, not just Chad. More like almost all of them.

7. NYJ 13A

NYJ 13A New Member

Easy Sean...

Stuckey hasn't played in an NFL game yet, so the argument doesn't hold any merit yet, and we know that. However, in a non-sarcastic tone, Stuckey is a sure handed, tough, quick receiver out of Clemson with Santana Moss like moves but better if he continues to excel.

Welker also played on a struggling Miami team that was forced to air it out, and let's not forget we were all dealt the NFC North, which, aside from Chicago, didn't exactly have defenses to be scared of.

8. Hobbes3259

67 Catches. Not 80. For a very pedestrian 10ypc.

The reason I'm saying Stuckey, particularly is better, is because McCariens is clearly better, BUT I expect Stuckey to move ahead of him on the depth chart.

(Actually comparing #3 to #3, as opposed to Stuckey vs. Welker alone...)

9. NYJ 13A

NYJ 13A New Member

ALL RIGHT...I was more making a point about deep plays in general, which I believe Chad has the capability to take care of, but that Brady has more ease making on a regular basis. I'm not trying to take anything away from Chad, but there is still a difference in their overall performance. And yes, that accuracy downfield compared to eating it is HUGE. Especially when we cringe at that happening on a 3rd down conversion attempt.

I'm positive about Sunday, however, hands down. I like the feeling so far in our camp as to what we should expect.

10. Hobbes3259

I'd be shocked if he didnt see action from the slot in the three wide set.

Expect the NYJ to go primarily 3 wide. Cimini (I think) pointed out that that is Jones' best set to run out of, averaging over 5 ypc when running from that set.

And Jmac will not be in as the 3 exclusivlely.

#30 Hobbes3259, Sep 6, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2007
  11. MayoGate

MayoGate Active Member

I gotta compliment you on this statement.. Santana would run circles around him easily.. I know I know "If he continues to excel" .. If that was the case I don't believe he would of lasted until the 7th round or whatever high round he was drafted in. I know you can't measure or it matters what round a player was drafted.. But lets not put him in Canton just yet..

12. hoobash

hoobash Well-Known Member

When did stuckey become the #3 wr?? Last time I checked it was jmac

13. MayoGate

MayoGate Active Member

There you have it folks.. Cimini said.. Stuckey era begins this Sunday.. :breakdance: .. Let me stress that I'm not taking anything away from that receiver, but lets get some film on this guy.. Geez

14. Hobbes3259

Yes, the 7th,

One round AFTER Brady.

He lasted till the 7th round because he broke his foot in his senior year.

15. Hobbes3259

Ok. Forget Stuckey. Welker vs. McCareins. Welker hasnt produced anywhere near MCCareins at the pro level.

As I pointed out, the reason I Chose Stuckey is because I think he'll be a better slot guy, but #3 to #3 is a clear advatage our way.

16. Hobbes3259

As I pointed out, that comparison isnt even close (JMAC v. WW) I chose stuckey, bc I think he will take over the slot role.

JMAC is clearly the preferable of the two.

Welker is about 6 YPC shy of being in the same class.

17. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

Without Randy Moss in the lineup I don't think they are any better at all.

18. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Welker is way better than Stuckey at this point and a little better than JMac. Welker is a perfect fit as a slot receiver. I thought the trade for him was kind of dumb giving up a 2nd and a 7th for a #3 receiver, but you can't tell me Stuckey is better than JMac. Hell, I don't know if you could tell me Stuckey is better than Brad Smith at this point.

I would take Coles over Moss any day of the week though because I think Moss is a shell of his former self. And I would take Cotchery over Stallworth.

19. 28rogerblaze51

28rogerblaze51 New Member

you can say they have better offense than we do, simply because the number of plays they can put on the field, like long pass plays to spread the defense out, that one dimension in the game that can open a big run or pass to get a score when you need it.

the pats defense is older and do not have seymour or harrison, it will be harder for them to cover coles and cotchery at the same time along with jones.

our defense has a huge test against the pats pass game, we will do ok against the run, but the pass, we might be able to something good if we make no mistakes and tackle in the secondary, rhodes has to blitz and cover well, linebackers must not miss any tackles and clog the holes, and have good coverage in the middle.

our dline must make plays against the run, and get hands in brady's face, and hit him hard when ever they can, if we do all these things we can beat the pats.

#39 28rogerblaze51, Sep 6, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2007
  20. MayoGate

MayoGate Active Member

To be honest with you.. I don't know the answer as to who was more productive, and so on.. What I do know.. It doesn't really matter.. Let me ask you this.. Who do you feel will contribute more on Sunday, and have some type of impact?