And now for something different... Zach appreciation thread...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by burf, Oct 2, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Immediate Zach thoughts after the game:

Thought Zach was decent. A lot to be said for not turning the ball over against a D as good as Philly's but also felt like he left a few plays out there on the field.

I know we've been hoping he could just hit his checkdowns for the past 2 years but now I'm starting to think he's getting too checkdown happy. The 4th down comes to mind. No reason to throw that ball short of the line to gain unless the guy is wide open with a wide open path for a 1st.

We need him to be better but it does feel like he's improving so we've just gotta hope he continues to improve throughout this season.

blackssmagic, Jets79, Brook! and 4 others like this.
  2. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

Which QB that we have faced has better stats in that game than Zach? Too lazy to look it up but I believe Zach has better numbers when we played them head to head than Mahomes, Hurst, Russ and Allen right?!?

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  3. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Well... that was a weird check-down... not something you draw up.

And hey now... Fox Sports paid for my house in the hills! :cool:

Brook! likes this.
  4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Not trying to piss on your parade because I agree with your overall analysis but statistically the Eagles pass defense has been vulnerable all year and we underperformed what they’ve been allowing.

He was fine. He didn’t lose the game. One of these days we need him to win the game though.

5. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I think we're on the same page here.

I didn't think Zach was good today but as bad as the Eagles secondary is, their pass rush and DL are legit. That D might not be the elite unit it's been over the last 2-ish years but they're still a good unit IMO. The fact that he was able to play a turnover-free game definitely counts for something.

He needs to play better and I'm sure there are a few throws he'd like to have back from today so hopefully he can continue to develop but you're right, eventually HE needs to win one of these games, not the D, and not Breece.

6. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

I don't know about their pass d but their pass rush manhandled our o-line. Injuries taking us down.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Pepsiguy5 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  7. RevisIsland18

RevisIsland18 Well-Known Member

He managed the game! Nothing bad or great. We all screamed about him able to do this last year and so far he’s delivered being the back up qb! Keep it up zach and hopefully with a lighter schedule he can improve also!

burf, KY Jets Fan and NY Jets68 like this.
  8. RevisIsland18

RevisIsland18 Well-Known Member

everyone coming out of wood works to say eagles pass def is so so while in game thread everyone was scared shitless of eagles def.

Too many Monday morning qbs on this board.

9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

It makes me wonder if the NFL has mandated against using the no huddle to allow for more commentary and other BS.

burf likes this.
  10. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

By that stand point, he was fair, not turning the ball over, was the best we could hope for, made some decent passes.

But in the big picture, moving forward, the defense, will have to create turnovers, and lots of them.

Game managers in today's NFL, of high octane offense, pass happy, not sure it will work, without defense putting the pall in the end zone, or on the door step

REVISion and KY Jets Fan like this.
  11. ColoradoContrails

I agree. Again, he left some plays out there, but at the same time he was let down by some mistakes by others. That blind side block was a killer.

And considering the patchwork OL, they did well against one of the best D lines in the league (maybe 2nd to ours :D), but still they allowed a number of pressures and a couple of sacks. Still, Zach didn't let that get to him and he hung in there - I think that's one of the most impressive things I'm seeing from him these past few games.

And somehow he's outplayed four of the top QBs in the NFL, yet, he's the "worst" QB. I guess it's better to be lucky than good.:rolleyes:

Sure, he still has a lot to improve upon, and he needs to figure out a way to be able to take over a game and put a team away. He had chances to do that today and didn't. But it seems like he's building a solid foundation to be able to get to that level soon.

As Al Davis always said: "Just win baby!".

12. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

He's got to continue to improve, no argument there.

Need to turn some of these FGs into TDs.

13. NY Jets68

NY Jets68 Well-Known Member

Networks can't run 5 minutes of commercials during a no huddle offense.

burf and ColoradoContrails like this.
  14. ColoradoContrails

Exactly!

15. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Was it me or were there a crazy amount of commercials during this game.

16. burf

burf Well-Known Member

That's where we're in the dark.
    We don't know what limits they're still putting on him, as far as checkdowns, etc?
    We've really not seen them call an aggressive game, one focused on scoring points.
    Another thing to me, is the player rotation.
    Time to give Izzy some action, then you have 2 dynamic RBs.
    Move Cook to 3rd-down back, & deactivate Carter.
    I'd love to see Breece & Izzy on the field together.

17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

The conservative, frightened turtle way that Hackett calls plays, I don't think too many QBs could win games. It's awful. He's not giving the offense a chance to get on a roll, build confidence or momentum. As someone said earlier, when play works, they don't call it again. It's so predictable and easy to defend.

18. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Over 6 games it's been more Zach than play calling. I wouldn't call that a compliment to the couches by any stretch.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  19. NCJetsfan

How is he supposed to figure a way to take over the game with Hackett's play calling? Apparently, Zach has only limited ability to call audibles. They evidently have him on a tight leash. When Hackett calls few plays aggressively, and even when he does, he immediately goes back into his shell, I just don't see how you think Zach can do that. Zach would have go to go off the reservation, and basically just say "eff Hackett" I'm changing the play and going deep or something. IMO that's not Zach's nature.

burf likes this.
  20. NCJetsfan

I agree with all except deactivating Carter. Cook should be the one to get deactivated imo.

KY Jets Fan and blackssmagic like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.