And now for something different... Zach appreciation thread...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by burf, Oct 2, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Fair enough. I looked at it again and it wasn't an early throw, but Garrett also wasn't late.

2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I said it wrong, it’s actually a 2 to 1, tightend drag to cross but the read has to be quick. It doesn’t really matter where the ball is designed to go. I’m sure they wanted him to throw the drag to mitigate disaster but you’re really reacting to what the linebacker does and how much depth he gets.

Especially in what looks like a two high safety look. If the linebacker gets depth you hit the cross. If he goes to the cross, you throw it in between the safeties to the tightend at the goal post.

But you’re completely wrong about the read and that’s cool. It doesn’t even matter all too much. The fucking linebacker vacates the zone completely and plays man coverage there are two wide open receivers with 5 yard halos around them in the same picture and he literally throws the crossing route into the backside safety.

He was late. And that’s not a 5-step drop. He takes a lazy drop with his feet but it’s a 3-step drop depth. He’s late by a mile into both throwing windows. Not sure how you can say the QB can’t be late when he throws a shallow cross into the backside safety after crossing half the field.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  3. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

I'm drunk in the bar screaming "WTF..ARE YOU BLIND?!?!" at that play (got plenty of heads turned..LOL)..... but sadly I think Ive done that almost every other game multiple times

#523 stinkyB, Oct 10, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2023
  4. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

he had to be in the throwing lane and based on where zach was looking he wasn't there. I will say, to be fair to you, the center could have fucked up and pushed the defender into the wrong spot becuase if the throwing lane was on the other side he can fire it but it didn't look like that to me but not everyone is 100% tellable even with a replay and an all 22. some things are obvious, some could be 1 way or another. i'd really like to see the angle from GW the whole play though

5. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

the tight end ran a post so no idea what you are trying to say there?

it's true it doesn't matter where it's designed to go but that depends on the QB. i'd bet my left nut rodgers finds conklin wide open on that play. zach should have moved on when the 1st throw wasn't there out of his hop instead of locking on to GW. I did say that in my original post

It does seem hackett is trying to mitigate zach making a mistake. I don't think thats a secret to anyone. he's trying to get the ball out fast. i'm surprised we didn't get any bubble screens in the red zone

as far as the D goes, they stacked the box, 5 lineman essentially (3 lineman and 2 OLB out wide on the line), 2 Lbers in the middle and 2 deep safeties. loks like the plan was to play run/fake blitz but turned out at least from this view as a mostly zone but one of the ILBs thinking it was man and running into his own guy. nobody covered conklin though. it was a busted coverage

IDK where you see 2 open WRs it was just the TE from this angle. it does appear breece was uncovered as well as he was "let go" by a rusher and The LBer that ran into his own guy was trying to cover breece in man and was the one that fucked up the play for the D

I'd really love to see the all-22 angles of this play but I didn't get it this year because i've done it so long it kinda stopped being fun so i wanted to take a year off. i keep replaying it and it looks like man coverage with a single safety. both ILBs go to cover the 2 RBs, but nobody covers conklin. that defenisve play is just a mess

it is a 5 step drop, but he doesn't do it perfectly clean. the hike is from the 8, his back foot is at the 13-14 at the end of the drop. a 5 step drop is 4ish yards a 3 step drop is just under 3 yards typically. I could se why it loks like a lazy step and it wasn't clean footwork but the depth on it was for a 5 step drop and he took 5 steps

and a QB can be late, after the drop. if he's ready to throw at the end of his drop he's on time I mean of course in theory they can be late if they slip and fall or something but as long as they complete the drop and are ready to fire they are always on time. zach had to take an extra "hop" because no WR was there and he was keyed in on GW. a better QB moves onto the next read which likely was conklin who was wide open.

If you watched hard knocks and seen rodgers this was the stuff he was explaining to zach in the show they got on camera. rodgers is stupidly smart as a QB despite all the shit he gets at times from the media and fans.

so well that play wasn't perfect, I see improvement because old zach would have spun out of the pocket and started running to 1 side trying to make a throw on the run, but he still has a way to go because a QB like rodgers moves onto the next read right away and finds the open man.

all this play does is show that we need to just get the ball out of zachs hands in the red zone quickly

6. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

tryna force feed gw

7. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Someone else pointed that out as well. I think overall we’ve never traveled well against any western conf team, so I was fully expecting some sort of disaster. We won though so it’s all moot now. On to PHI now which will be interesting because Zach really can’t afford to shit the bed anymore, at least not in a loss. PHI makes a habit of making good QB’s shit the bed, so Zach is really going to have to step it up.

The_Darksider and Pepsiguy5 like this.
  8. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

If he could manage to win this game and look halfway effective doing it I think he'd really start to get some wind behind his sails.

Not to mention that the Jets would all of a sudden go from playoff long shots to highly legit looking chance.

cval and ColoradoContrails like this.
  9. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

sam was always late too

10. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

dawinner127 likes this.
  11. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  12. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

At the 7 yrd. line we're throwing a designed 2 yard pass?
    ...with the receiver crossing full speed horizontal?
    ...with the DB bearing down on him?

How is THAT supposed to work?

13. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

BrowningNagle likes this.
  14. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Need to “let him loose” , obviously

15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Fine that's your prerogative. I normally trust what he says too, but when one of the biggest things that Zach has been criticized for is not making quick enough decisions and getting the ball out quickly, I'm not going to fault him for throwing to a wide open GW (his best WR) instead of moving on to a 3rd read that may or may not have been open as far as he knew. You know as well as I that if Zach hadn't thrown the pass to GW on that play, and then he got sacked or one of the defenders quickly dropped back in the passing lane and knocked the ball down or intercepted it, Zach would have gotten criticized for holding the ball too long and not having thrown it to a wide open GW. I mean seriously, the guy can't win. He made a quick decision, a good throw that hit GW right on the hands, and it should have been caught, and it should have been a TD. IMO ALL the blame on that play should rest on GW's shoulders.

16. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Johnny One-Read

SackRecord99 likes this.
  17. NCJetsfan

I totally disagree. His first read was a receiver (I can't see the receiver's number) in the left corner of the End Zone, but he was covered. Zach's head then moves to the right, he sees GW open and throws it to him and hits him in the hands. GW wasn't covered, so there was nothing about that throw or decision that was forcing it to GW. That's just a crock.

18. NCJetsfan

Have you never heard of slant passes in the WCO, because that's basically what that route was? The DB was a good 3-5 yards behind GW. He wasn't bearing down on him.

19. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

He's talking about the safety that was about to clean GW's clock while Zach hung him out to dry.

stinkyB and Acad23 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.