And now for something different... Zach appreciation thread...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by burf, Oct 2, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I also think Lynch besides being good, arguably has one the top two HC in the league, developing a structure that maximizes everyone’s strengths. We are far from it. I say JD brought plenty enough talent to be successful, short a QB. Only the Jets would have AR go down in game one play four. I think our D is under performing based on talent and our offensive strategy is yet to be balanced to maximize our talent.

2. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

If you're saying he's improved leaps and bounds since a week and a half ago, then okay. But it isn't like he hasn't had a couple decent games before.

Jets69 likes this.
  3. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Agree. I said on another thread he will be assessed on his body of work this year, good or bad. If he can continue to hold his on more power to us, if he diverts back to last year performance we are toast. But if we don’t improve the running game I don’t care who we put behind center we are not going to win too many games. The game plan worries me.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  4. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Quarterbacks miss games, just like any other player - they miss them because they get sick, hurt and just plain benched for incompetence; it doesn't mean the clock stops. Saying he's only been around for a year and a half is just a ridiculous attempt to bypass the truth in a futile attempt to make the guy look less responsible for his own foibles. Such transparent lame reasoning does nothing at all to further the case that he has been competent and consistent as an NFL player.

Jets-N-Terps likes this.
  5. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

And here are some of his hits from the first 4 years he had

2017 Pro Bowl Tight End - George Kittle in the 5th Round
    2018 Pro Bowl Linebacker - Fred Warner in the 3rd Round
    2018 A Jets starter - DJ Reed in the 5th Round
    2019 Pro Bowl DE - Nick Bosa in the 1st Round
    2019 Pro Bowl WR - Deebo in the 2nd Rounds
    2019 Starting Punter - Wisnowsky in the 4th Round
    2019 Starting Linebacker - Dre Greenlaw in the 5th Round
    2020 Starting WE - Aiyuk in the 2nd Round
    2020 Starting RT - McKivitz in the 5th Round
    2020 Starting slot WR - Jennings in the 7th Round

He'd add another Pro Bowler from the 5th Round the next year in Safety Talanoa Hufanga to go with a starting CB from the same round and a LG in the second.

The only lower round player we've got starting for us is Carter II!

BrowningNagle likes this.
  6. Ralebird

"The definition of insanity" is the most overused cliché of all time | Salon.com

Jets81 likes this.
  7. Ralebird

Jones and Daboll are totally irrelevant to the topic at hand. Why can some people not simply address the issue of Wilson without trying to make him look better by making some other guy on another team look worse? In fact, I'd rather see Wilson and Saleh exhibit some feistiness with each other rather than have them both mumbling the same old tired cliches about needing to be better after every Jets loss - we know that already!

8. twown

twown Well-Known Member

KY Jets Fan and cval like this.
  9. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

The running game can only improve if the passing game improves. Good to very good opposing defenses can stop the run by clogging up the middle with more defenders. Teams are going to continue to make Wilson try to beat them with his arm, and it's not just Wilson. That's how you would defense any untested QB. Until Wilson proves he can beat teams through the air, the running game will suffer.

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  10. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Practice?

Ralebird and KY Jets Fan like this.
  11. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Zach had a decent game, he does not totally suck. Now he needs to have another good game against Denver or all the goodwill he just earned will be for naught.

12. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

That’s really the entirety of it all. Zach has been so awful up until last week that he’s really only bought himself one week with that performance. If he goes laying an egg against a team MIA dropped 70 points on then we’re back to square one. Truthfully I think Zach’s gonna need to string about 4-6 games in a row at least as good as he played against KC before anyone could be totally comfortable that he’s turned a corner.

13. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

Also he has to have games where he plays well AND the team wins. No more the Jets win, but Zach throws for 115 yards. If he can play really well, that will lead to more wins, so they will likely come together, but they can't win in spite of him anymore. They have to win either with him being one of the reasons they win or because of him being the main reason they win for the KC game not to be "a fart in the wind of Zach Wilson's career" as Evan Roberts so eloquently put it.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  14. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Well-Known Member

Its crazy to me that people are saying Wilson is improving. @LAJet even said he's improving by "leaps and bounds." Zach Wilson is not improving at all, they are just using him differently.... the way they should have used him in the first place. See my post after the Bills game, where I stated the Jets can be a playoff team if they use him correctly:

"I think you can win with Zach if they follow a certain formula. First, the defense is going to keep most teams under 20 points, and that’s huge. It means the jets won’t need to score a ton of points every week to win. If the jets run the hell out of Hall and Cook, all they need is Zach to make a throw or two on a given drive to get points. Then all you need is him to do that 2-3 times a game, which is not a lot. I think he can do that, especially now that the pressure is off him. Last year, he was still expected to be the guy, and that brings its own sort of pressure. Now, everyone thinks he’s hot garbage, so there are no more expectations on him and is the perfect timing for him to be the hero. That makes a difference. If he just plays within himself and gets the ball to the playmakers, that’s all they need. No hero ball."

However, and of course, the dumb ass jets and Hacket didnt do that. They had him standing back in the pocket in empty sets like they still have Arod in the game. I posted this:

"The guy sucks, but Hackett, Saleh, and the entire front office of the jets organization are not using him in a way that maximizes his strengths and minimizes his weaknesses. I told in another thread how the best way to run an offense with Zach is to run Breece and Dalvin into the ground and have Zach make a throw or two on a drive for a chunk play. Use his legs. Move the pocket. Play action. Rollouts. You get the point.

Breece had 4 carries in the cowboys game. 4! And this is against a team that is weak against the run and can rush the passer better than anyone. 4 carries. I turn on the jets game for one series last week and what do I see? Zach back there in the shotgun, with no confidence at all, a weak offensive line against a strong pass rush, with no rb in the backfield, for 3 straight plays in a row in the pouring rain. I immediately turned it off. Seriously, a 4th grader could coach better than that, it’s atrocious.

I’m not saying the guy is a world beater but jeez, at least coach in a way that makes sense. How Hacket thinks this is a good idea is beyond me, how Saleh allows this to go on without intervention is absolutely absurd, and how all the higher ups don’t say anything to Saleh about it is dumbfounding."

They actually started doing the above, moving the pocket, rolling him out, using play action. If some scrub like me can see that I have no idea how Hackett has a job in this league. Point is, Zach is not improving at all, this is the player he always was, its more that Hackett is improving.

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  15. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Also blown by was the fact that he was without his training camp starting quarterback for most of 2017, 2018, 2020 and the back half of 2022.

16. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

An important corollary to this though is that the OC has to use that passing game in his game plan and play calling. For whatever reason, up until Sunday night, that was missing in Hackett's plans.

westiedog1 and NCJetsfan like this.
  17. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

There is no doubt that improving the passing game will improve the run. But that is not the whole story. When time after time we have third and very short and we can't get a freaking yard is a totally different story. Good running teams impose their will and get it done. Either we don't get a good enough push by the OL, or WRs are not blocking worth a damn and 9 out of 10 times Cook cant seem to find a hole.

18. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I tend to agree, but it also has to be remembered that when they turned Zach loose in the beginning, he was prone to interceptions. Remember he threw 4 in one game. No team can expect to win with that many turnovers. After that, they reined him in and I think that's been the rule ever since, except in situations where Zach had to throw, as when they were behind in the game. In the case of Buffalo, it worked, in the case of NE it didn't, for KC it almost worked.

For Zach to be successful, he has to prove to the league that he can beat you with his arm. I don't feel he gets that done by handing off and completing short passes to backs and TEs.

NCJetsfan and HomeoftheJets like this.
  19. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

that wasn't the point. the point was look how much he whiffed on 1st rounders and at the point JD is at with the jets, lynch had a 6-10 team and an overall losing record as a GM. so yeah actually JD does have the same success as lynch to this point. pretty much none. you can't blame a GM for injuries either. some of you are just so unresonable

NCJetsfan likes this.
  20. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

again I never said otherwise. plus some of those are you just stretching to prove a point I already agreed with. Reed did nothing for the niners he lasted 2 seasons as a backup then was cut. reed is more negative of lynch for cutting a player who clearly turned out great and getting 0 use from him.

the point was all the things people shit on JD for, lynch was in the same boat but worse.

losing record at this point > check
    whiffing on a top 3 picked QB > check
    whiffing on many 1st round picks > lynch has been awful at 1st rounders. 9 picks and only 2 good players to show form it and only 1 is still with the team.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.