An ominous reality, is it really all or nothing?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NJJets, Apr 23, 2024.

?

How to proceed if Jets make the playoffs but fails to advance Wild Card week.

1. Fire both Saleh and Joe D

48.6%
  2. Fire Saleh only

25.7%
  3. Fire Joe D only

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Keep both

25.7%
  1. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Where's the Woody The Rube makes a jackass proclamation no matter what happens choice?

2. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I assume if the Jets make the playoffs, they'll both get three year extensions. If the wheels fall off the following season they'll both be let go. I don't think one playoff run will give them crazy job security, but I also don't think they'll get fired if they win ten games and make the playoffs.

If they don't make the playoffs, both are gone.

Jets79 and GREG like this.
  3. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

if the jets have this mentality its a failure. this team is going for it all. if we walk away with just a winning season, the entire org will be nuked.

NOVAJET, NCJetsfan and REVISion like this.
  4. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

JD has put together a winning roster minus QB, so I think he is good no matter what happens. If Rodgers stays healthy and the Jets fail to make the playoffs, I think Saleh's ass is grass. On the other hand, if this whole Rodgers thing was Woody's idea, then I think both guys are safe.

5. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

If they miss the playoffs, then they are both gone. JD's record as GM is 27-56. I don't see either one surviving another playoff less season. Woody Johnson was pissed about last year and he wasn't shy telling everyone that. Plus, the pitchforks and knives will be out in full force with the fans and NY media if they miss again. Both are on the hot seat, and everyone knows it. If they make the playoffs, then they will most likely be coming back.

BacktoQueens and Jets79 like this.
  6. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

I disagree with many of Joe D's decisions and would have fired him already but think he has done a good job so far in this offseason.

If we make the playoffs with our current coaching staff maybe we give JD another year.

Saleh has been disappointing and I think we could live without him.

7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Douglas is a borderline case for me. He's had 6 years (or will have after this year), and we still have major holes at QB (I don't count Rodgers as a solution until he actually does something and plays for more than 2 years) and the OL. How is that possible? Yeah, spare me all the "Well he couldn't have predicted all the injuries blah blah blah", he was hired to turn this team around and by taking the job said he could do it. He didn't.

All that said, if they finally play well and make the playoffs and then get bounced because of a key injury or two, or bad ref'ing, then I'd be okay with retaining Douglas. The only way I'd be okay keeping Saleh is if this team finally has an offense that isn't in the bottom 5.

NOVAJET, Jets79 and NCJetsfan like this.
  8. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

this 100%

I hate the stupid continuity for continuity’s sake argument, and then people will point to the Steelers or Ravens or such.

No

Continuity with bad to mediocre coaches and GMs will only bring MORE mediocrity. Herm was NEVER going to be a good coach, and that was proven out. Same for Gase. Same for Rex. Same for Idzik or Bradway, who were SO bad that they never did or will get another shot at their role.

Keeping shitty coaches or GMs will just get you more shit.