AMC's The Walking Dead

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by Mr Electric, May 11, 2010.

1. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

Yeah it skipped through winter. It's probably been about 6 or 7 months as the last time we saw Lori she didn't seem to be showing her pregnancy at all and now she's about to pop.

Personally I liked the campfire scene. Well, not the campfire scene in particular but more the idea of it. I mean these are people who have been through hell and back for months (maybe around a year now since the outbreak started). I think it's cool to show that they are still human, not just zombie killing robots with no thoughts or emotions just living off of pure survival instinct. If not for that scene (or a scene like it) that's how they come off, and as a viewer I don't feel that you can connect and relate to people living off of survival instincts you need to have people, regular people who have been removed from their lives.

You need to show both sides of them: the human side and what they used to be and the survival/animal instinct and what they have become. I think in the second season they showed a bit too much of the human side and not enough of the survival/animal instinct. Hopefully this season balances a bit more, so far it has and I can't see why that won't continue.

2. DeathByJets

DeathByJets Well-Known Member

Agree. It isn't "filler". It is rounding out the story/characters. If you take that away, you are basically watching a video game. And people need to be prepared....every episode can't be zombie madness. If you are not invested in the characters, you don't care if they live or die. Just as an example, in this episode, Beth (Hershel's youngest daughter) is finally starting to be drawn as a character. Prior to this she was just a worthless piece of the background. Would anyone have cared if she were eaten in last season's finale? I doubt it.

3. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

I really wanted to see some snow action. The Atlanta area gets snow sometimes. Why fast forward a couple months? I wanted to see zombies walking through snow and slush.

4. deerow84

I thought it was kind of strange. I guess they just wanted to start off showing that they had clearly been through so much and had been mobile for months so finding some kind of a more permanent shelter would be a much bigger deal. That and fast-forwarding the situation with Lori's pregnancy.

I would have watched a season of them scrounging all winter but I'm not sure if the general public would have.

5. DeathByJets

Carl...they either needed to kill him or move the timeline forward. As it is he looks WAY older than he did in the pilot.

6. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

i fuckin hate that little fucker carl lol

7. JaxSuzy

JaxSuzy Banned

Yeah, Lori doesn't do a good job supervising Carl - I was reminded of that again when they replayed last season. I don't like Lori much for some reason.

So true: Zombies trudging thru snow would have been awesome, zombie snowmen, zombie Santa LOL

8. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Lost sucked for this reason. What took three or four years in real life only covered about two months on the show. I remember bitching about that in the Lost thread before I had given up on that program.

9. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Saw the Walking Dead after a busy week...Oh my it was beautiful...Full of zombie mania and it felt like the comics scene was coming to life.

I honestly can say this third season will be the best season! Not only because of the previews we have seen so far and the first episode, but the actual content from the comics is so damn memorable it would be very difficult to not love it.

Prison storyline is awesome, Rick is finally the angry "STFU" Rick that I enjoy.

And thumbs up to Riot Gear Zombies!

FYI - if you havent read the comics then I suggest you check em out...The show is adding some new spin to its plot line obviously.

10. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Lost had the best character development in the history of TV drama, IMO. The problem to me, was that they drew it out too long and introduced tons of red herrings to the plot during seasons 3 and 4 that ended up being ignored or irrelevant to where the series was headed. They could have explained a lot of them in s6 but they chose to do silly afterlife flash sideways plot that had nothing to do with anything. Good show, but drawn out and watered down because of popularity.

11. JaxSuzy

JaxSuzy Banned

Hey, did you watch that show "Awake" last year? It had me kinda Lost like Lost too.

12. JamesHasty40

JamesHasty40 New Member

Last episode was great I thought.

13. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I watched the entire series from Sunday to tonight and it is great. Best show since L O S T. Reminds me of it too. Any fan of Lost will like how TWD is shot. My friends kept telling me to get into it, so I finally bit the bullet and watched this week. It has some real epic moments: Sophia walking out of the barn, Rick stabbing Shane, Farm being taken over, and finding the prison. Haven't seen moments on tv like that since Lost ended. I'm hooked.

14. DeathByJets

LOST and TWD are my two favorite shows. Both are broad, visionary shows. They also had arguably the best two pilots in the history of TV. I think LOST clearly had better writing and characters. These are the two areas where TWD got tripped up in its first two seasons. Clearly, the producers recognized that the characters were thinly drawn early on and tried to compensate with a dialogue-heavy second season. Since the writing was not that strong, it somewhat compounded the problem. However, the dialogue GREATLY improved (along with every other aspect of the show) in the second half of Season 2. See: Rick/Hershel in the bar after Barn-maggedon; the discussion with the two newcomers in the bar; the Rick/Shane showdown; and Rick laying down the law at the end of Season 2. As I mention in a post above, the other thing that greatly improved over the course of Season 2 is the cinematography. Season 1 (except for the pilot) and the first half of Season 2 looked like it was filmed with a home video camera. From the episode "Pretty Much Dead Already" (Sophia in the barn) to the current episode, the camera angles, framing of shots, and visual effects are so much better. LOST still has a few other advantages.....no one knew where it was going (TWD...is framed around the comic), incredibly strong actors, and it had the best music of any TV show (thanks to Michael Giacchino)....ever.

LOST was great from start to finish. In my opinion, TWD is just getting better and better. In the end they are very different shows, but I do love them both.

15. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

There is no way this show lets a baby be born...Impossible to take care of even in this fictional zombie takeover world.

16. deerow84

I'm hoping that part follows the comic storyline as well. Won't say anything more than that, but it would shock a lot of people for sure.

17. Barcs

Barcs Banned

I hope you're right. Last thing we need is for this show to dedicate some 20 minutes each week to a stupid baby plot. That's enough to jump the shark quickly. That is why season 2 was bad for the early portion. It was too much focused on social drama and political issues.

18. DeathByJets

I am hoping Lori's fears are realized and it eats her from the inside out.

19. milo

milo Well-Known Member

Unfortunately the creators of the show have pretty much already said no baby walkers.

I think it might have been from the Comic-Con panel, but basically they said they don't really have a good plot reason, they're just not willing to have a 3-month old in a makeup chair for 6 hours.

20. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Pregnant Lori gets bitten and turns into zombie...Pregnant zombie...One has to kill a zombie then. Would be more insane if the baby burst outta there and we had baby zombies