Alex Smith....

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by mezzavo, Jan 28, 2013.

1. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

How one can attempt to make a case that Alex Smith is worse than Sanchez shows peon level football IQ.

Until he got benched inadvertently due to a concussion which opened the door to Kaepernick he was completing 70.2 percent of his passes with a rating of 104.1. He had thrown 13 TD to 5 INTs.

Sanchez on the other hand, has a completion percentage of 54.3% and a passer rating of 66.9. 13 TDs 18 INTs.

Alex Smith had half the passing attempts as Sanchez in 2012. Alex Smith was initially benched due to a concussion not performance. It just so happened that his replacement lit it up and they made the change. NFL = Not for Long. You can speculate over why Alex Smith outperformed Sanchez all you want, fact is he did. Fact #2 is if the guy who stepped in for Alex Smith (same QB playing this coming Sunday), was anybody else and didn't explode out of the gates, Alex Smith would have been under center as soon as healthy.

Alex Smith is not a game breaker. He is not going to single handedly win you games. But to even attempt to argue he is worse than Sanchez when faced with factual statistics is the definition of retarded.

Is Alex Smith the answer for the JETS? I don't know. But I do know with 100% certainty he is a better player than our current QB.

#121 TurkJetFan, Jan 30, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  2. PuMa

PuMa Banned

I really like this point people go on about how we don't want him unless he brings his HC and his TE with him but obviously he has some kind of skill or he wouldn't be where he is at even with help. I don't think he is a long term answer but I do think for 2-3 years he could be the man for the job until our 2014 QB draft pick learns the game. And yes I do believe we won't find a QB in this years draft... This year we build around to make a competive team for such a player. Alex would be a good choice IMO .... Just not a straight up Revis for Smith trade though... That is idiotic. It is also idiotic to trade anything for him we wait until he is released.

3. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I think Sanchez blows but you're trying to compare Sanchez with the coaching and weapons the Jets had to Smith and the coaching and weapons that the Niners have as if the only difference is Sanchez and Smith. That's completely ridiculous.

4. TurkJetFan

I'm comparing them to each other. I don't care about the weapons. Sanchez blows I agree on that. To say Alex Smith blows worse is retarded. Regardless of his weapons if Alex Smith blew at the level or below that of Mark Sanchez he would not have had a 70% completion percentage, a solid QBR and good TD to INT ratio.

5. TurkJetFan

If we are prepared to bring in Alex Smith he would be a slight upgrade over Sanchez but the largest upgrade in the sense he won't lose us games like Sanchez does. A Revis for Alex smit trade is the dumbest thing I've ever heard and can't believe people are even entertaining that.

I just take issue with the homerism on display when people say Alex Smith is worse than Sanchez. Simply not true by any stretch.

6. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I don't know if Smith is worse than Sanchez because Sanchez has never had the opportunity to play under an offensive minded head coach with all that offensive talent that the 49ers have. I think Sanchez would do a hell of a lot better as the Niners QB in 2012 than he did as the Jets QB in 2012. I think Smith would have done a hell of a lot worse as the Jets QB in 2012 than he did as the Niners QB in 2012.

That said, I don't think there's any evidence to suggest that Smith is worse than Sanchez at this point.

7. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

As of late, no one is agreeing with anything being said on this board, so don't take it to heart. Everyone is disagreeing about everything. Holmes, Revis, Sanchez, etc. I want the next QB that starts to be one that starts for the next 10 seasons.

At one point, I thought he did. His 2nd season - haven't felt that way since the Titans game this past season. The Mark Sanchez we all knew years ago is gone and he's not coming back. Mark used to have that ability to win big games. I guess that's why the organization keeps on believing, that version of Mark Sanchez would return with good coaching. Once a QB is cooked he's cooked.

Harbaugh wanted Kaep from the start - he just wasn't ready to make the change. The injury gave him the opportunity to do so.

http://www.sfgate.com/49ers/ostler/article/Harbaugh-road-tested-Kaepernick-in-2011-4218962.php

#127 101GangGreen101, Jan 30, 2013
  8. TurkJetFan

Let's use 2010 as a sample then because he had PLENTY of talent surrounding him that year.

Only completed 54.7% of his passes, rating 75.3, 17 TD 13 INT.

There is no evidence to support Smith is worse than Sanchez, however there IS evidence to support Smith is better than Sanchez. We can speculate all day. Numbers Never Lie.

9. TurkJetFan

True. Unfortunately "used to" doesn't win games today.

10. NotSatoshiNakamoto

He had more talent, but not as much as the Niners do this year. He also didn't have the coaching that the Niners have. And he was only in his 2nd year.

So yea. What am I supposed to give up?

11. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Not disagreeing with you here. If you want to win games, Alex Smith isn't the answer. We won't find a QB on the market that will get us into the playoffs. 2013 is a lost cause already IMO, not to be a darksider, just being realistic.

12. TurkJetFan

idk I edited my post due to dickheadedness.

13. PuMa

PuMa Banned

Right it's not true to any stretch his decision making is miles better something that has really killed Sanchez he is simply more mobile and has way better accuracy.

14. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Alex Smith took close to 8 years and a largely Pro Bowl squad around him to make him look efficient. Not good, but Trent Dilfer-ish.

A guy that "didn't throw the game away".

What morons want the Jets to trade for this turd? The Jets need a franchise QB, not some stupid piece of shit that didn't throw the ball away for one single season.

Unbelievable how stupid some Jets fans are.

#134 abyzmul, Jan 30, 2013
  15. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

Alex Smith= Big time pussy. This is subtraction by addition. It hurts to even imagine the possibility of Smith, Sanchez and Holmes on the same team. A bunch of prima donna pussies. Two with confidence issues, one with character issues. Wow, please God no!

Last person to post in this thread is a rotten egg.

16. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

We all know QB Rating means jack shit but:

Alex Smith posted: 41/75/57/82 in his four years.

Nacho? 63/75/78/67. Other than this year (which was a disgrace) he improved each year, small as they might have been.

Alex hit 90+ only after Harbaugh salvaged him.

And you want HIM over Nacho? I don't Nacho in the first place, but THAT Alex Smith? Where will that lead to anyway? You know the answer already - NOWHERE. So why waste cap money for a solution to nowhere? Just for fun? (Jesus Christ. Learn to think... before blasting someone else for being a retard...)

17. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

From what I heard on NFL network this afternoon this is all a moot point. Could be a smoke screen but it was stated, when talking about Smith, that of all the teams he could land the Jets are NOT one of them.

I'm quite surprised at the debate raging. I only wanted to speculate possible trade scenarios...and as the OP you clowns that keep yammering on about Revis for Smith straight up need to go back and read my first post. Nothing like going into a discussion with shit in your eyes.

I will end my last comment on this topic in this fashion. Alex Smith IS better than Nacho...end of story. Look at the stats and write it down. The 49'ers have had the same damn talent for a number of years, outside Moss and Manningham. So don't go all blow hard about their "Pro Bowl" talent.

Nacho rode the jocks of our defense for the first two years and hasn't done shit since. Period. His confidence is shot and he'll be lucky to get half of it back ala David Carr. You know, I know we're going to suck in '13 but there is suck and then there is get your ass handed to you every week where it's not even worth watching. I'd rather suck with 4 - 6 wins than try to take a shot an 0'fer season.

18. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Guys lets be clear here...

The only thing that smells worse than Alex Smith (sorry Mezz we agree on a lot just not this) is the ass of the dogs he blows

Smith Flynn and Moore are step down with Mohrinwheg calling the shts.

Watch weeks 1 and 10 tell me I'm wrong.

19. TurkJetFan

Stated to perfection

20. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

Harbaugh wasn't even there in 09 and 10. Crabtree's numbers improved but Vernon Davis numbers fell once Smith got benched.

Smith was decent prior to Harbaugh arriving. Smith completed 60% of his passes in 09 and 10 has Sanchez ever done that?