Al Woods out for the season with a torn Achilles

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by statjeff22, Oct 29, 2023.

1. Jets OG fan

Jets OG fan Well-Known Member

They've been using the inner brace technique for 10 years? I thought Cam Akers was the first to get that.

2. Savatage

Savatage Well-Known Member

Tanzel Smart added to the 53.

AtlantaJet and BrowningNagle like this.
  3. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

What about Shea Stadium infield dirt? Do the players like that surface?

BrowningNagle likes this.
  4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Players need to get over it. There ain’t much difference between turf and grass these days. They play a violent game, people will get hurt

Ralebird and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  5. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

grass gives way and can be ripped out so you don't get stuck in it. turf doesn't. I've never gotten injured on grass personally but have on turf. turf does feel better to run on though.

6. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Is that good?

7. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

He was a fan favorite on hard knocks. lots of people wanted him to get a shot. now he gets one. I don't expect much from him or him to get many snaps but we'll see

dmw likes this.
  8. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Tanzel Smart is like 5 rungs down the talent ladder from Solomon Thomas. The Jets must need STs help or something.

9. 3lixer.

3lixer. Active Member

I can almost guarantee Tanzel gets a sack vs the Chargers. Dude is hungry and looking to prove he belongs to stay.

wewantsapp likes this.
  10. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Absolutely not true. There is zero give with astroturf. It will jam you far more than natural grass. If the same, then use it in golf courses and see how they would like it.

11. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

I'll predict its more likely he jumps offsides than he gets a sack. Maybe called for defensive holding or hands to face.

12. BrowningNagle

they don’t use AstroTurf anymore. Obsolete

Ralebird and cval like this.
  13. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Maybe thats the problem. We focused on landing on the moon while the rest of the world now has the ability to host fútball games and concerts. #priorities

stinkyB and sozopol like this.
  14. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

https://apnews.com/article/nfl-aaro...ificial-turf-79212f5443cd2a0d30fe8c9d981b13c0

The studies suggest “a higher rate of foot and ankle injuries on artificial turf, both old-generation and new-generation turf, compared to natural grass,” they wrote in a paper published last year in the American Journal of Sports Medicine. Knee and hip injuries were similar on both surfaces, they wrote. The authors noted that studies reporting a higher rate of injury on grass received financial support from the artificial turf industry.

Similar findings were reported in a separate study that analyzed 4,801 NFL foot and leg injuries during 2012-2016 regular season games. That research found 16% more injuries per play on artificial turf compared to grass. The authors concluded that if all games had been played on grass during that period there would have been 319 fewer foot and leg injuries. Looking only at non-contact injuries the risk was even higher, about 20% more injuries per play.

GasedAndConfused and stinkyB like this.
  15. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

That's what Dr. Chao has said numerous times - he's in a better position to know than we are.

16. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

But we should be comparing the products available today, not those in use a decade ago, especially in studies that only "suggest" a conclusion.

17. BrowningNagle

The quality of the synthetic surfaces has changed greatly since 2016. Remember they used to drag rubber all over the place. Grass could be better but in reality it is unreliable because the groundskeeping varies so much. And to be fair the weather/climate plays a role too.

-FedEx Field in Washington is the single worst surface in the league and it is grass. (they may have improved?)

-How the field reacts to weather is a big factor too. Soldier Field (grass) was a hard frozen very unsafe field last year when we had that December nationwide freeze. A synthetic surface would've helped.

In reality it is a wash. There are pros and cons to both surfaces at this point but they aren't too too different.

What happens is people take their preferred style and aggrandize. I get it, I think the game looks cooler played on grass but that's a different argument

18. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

The last time the Jets had natural grass was the worst playing surface I've ever seen. It was the reason they crushed Peyton Manning in the playoffs. Nobody could run or cut on it.

Teams can afford to do it right, but that would cost money and they have to figure out how to make the fans pay for it.

19. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

Glad Tanzel Smart getting a shot but saw that the Jills just picked up Linval Joseph. I think he would’ve been a little better.