Adam Gase Thread (Merged)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Longsuffering88, Sep 16, 2019.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I'm an active critic of Gase's performance so far, and am very concerned that he just isn't HC material. That said, firing him - not to mention Williams - at this point would create such massive turmoil that the Jets might as well simply forfeit the season, literally. I wouldn't say that firing a HC during the season is inconceivable, but it would have be the result of MASSIVE problems due specifically to the coach, like he's completely alienated the team and they've quit on him so going with an interim guy would be the better alternative. But we haven't gotten nearly to this point yet.

And what if you did fire him - and Williams - who would you get to coach the team? Are there any better HCs out there, not already coaching? And if so, why aren't they hired already?

I agree with the sentiment that Gase is the wrong guy, but given the alternative, I really hope he can reverse course and become the winning coach we all hope for.

2. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

Right. people think because they are good at madden they could call plays in the NFL. and hating on gase for not mounting up 50 points with a 2nd and 3rd string QB, a shit o-line, and down 2 WRs on offense.

3. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

It would've been nice to have positive passing yards in the first half though.

4. GasedAndConfused

would have been nice to have some blocking too. those 2 are related. it's the whole "if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle" saying. If the jets had blocking, we'd have some passing yards. hell even on the bell swing pass on 4th down falk had to check down instantly to a RB 7 yards behind the 1st down marker on 4th down because someone came off the left side unblocked. nothing falk could do but swing it to bell and hope for the best or eat a sack

5. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Your points are all well taken and understood, but again, for the 1000th time, people like myself are not defending Gase, but rather pointing out a complete obvious piece of the puzzle that is causing the losing and destruction of our offense.

We have played 2 games. In game 1, our offense scored points and if not for a missed extra point and field goal, we would have been up at least 20-0 going into the 3rd/4th quarter.

Let's ignore the fact that Mosley got hurt and our defense fell apart immediately after.

We now know that Sam Darnold was unable to sleep the entire night before the game. He was up all night with cold sweats and was MAYBE at 80% during the game. All of which we heard directly from him. Later we find out he has mono.

So in week 1 not only did Enunwa injure his neck and leave the game (out for the year), our starting TE is serving a 4 game suspension (who was very good last year), but now we find out our starting QB had mono and was playing on no sleep and at most 80% of his health.

Week 2 we imploded with Siemien breaking his ankle after 6 attempts, Luke Falk taking over, Enunwa out, Herndon out, Demaryus Thomas leaving the game with an injury, and Mosley still not playing, the playcaller of our defense.

You can call Gase whatever you want and point the blame at him all you'd like, but if I were you, I would understand that we simply do not know what Gase has to bring to this franchise until Darnold is back and Herndon is back. Until then, we are playing poker with half a deck of cards

6. ColoradoContrails

The problem I have is that if the players aren't capable of doing what he wants, then why doesn't he change what he wants? Why continue trying to milk a beef cow? So far Gase has shown that he either won't, or can't, adjust during the game to what is ACTUALLY happening on the field, not what he WANTS to happen. Two games that I've seen aren't yet enough to draw a firm conclusion, but it's a troubling sign coupled with his record in Miami. If he doesn't begin to show improvement, then he needs to go as soon as reasonably possible - why waste more time on failure?

ouchy and SOJAZ like this.
  7. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Change to what? guys are dropping passes; Darnold overthrew Anderson twice- you can't fix that schematically.

8. BrowningNagle

The author of that article is VERY wrong on that 1st play.

Garrett was not "unaccounted for" The tight end fucked up. Yes, they pulled him across the line. But he is still supposed to block the innermost guy off the edge. Ideally, Garrett would bite on the fake run so that the guy he did block is the innermost guy off the edge, but Garrett didn't bite. So he should've blocked Garrett. This is high school offensive blocking stuff - he fucked up

secondly- the author says "this play would make more sense if Siemian was on some sort of boot action" .... Uhh is the author blind or something?
    look at that play. It was obviously supposed to be a boot action but Kalil's man got right by him so easily that Siemian couldn't roll out that way.

----

There's nothing wrong with that play design. Hell, every team runs that play every week. IF the linemen actually blocked the guys they are supposed to block - then it doesn't get blown up like that.

stuff like that is so frustrating. He operates a website about football and he writes an article about blocking schemes when he obviously doesn't know what he's talking about

Pepsiguy5 and Acad23 like this.
  9. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

None of that will win a single game and if you are seriously contending the Jets will win six games this year you're taxing your credibility.

The guy has not exhibited that he can win games during his coaching history.

"Offensive rocket fuel?" Blew up on the launch pad!

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  10. ColoradoContrails

I'm not going to pick apart every play from both games. I think you get my point. The plays Gase is calling aren't working. Yes, some - maybe many - are due to players not executing, but you still have to adjust. Where are the plays where Montgomery and Bell are both in? Or Montgomery used as a WR? Where are the roll outs to get rid of pressure, or double team blocking?

Maybe there's really good reasons for these decisions, and Gase is actually the genius he certainly thinks he is, but I always rely on actual results, not conjecture and his results are not "genius" level so far.

SOJAZ and NYJetsO12 like this.
  11. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Trying to turn Darnold into Tannehill, rolling with average receivers, and now this. Hopefully we figure out sooner than the Dolphins did that he’s a bad head coach.

12. BrowningNagle

I don't think Gase is a genius. But even geniuses look dumb if they are working with shitty tools

Pepsiguy5 likes this.
  13. Falco21

I am still trying to figure out where it says it is not allowed or a bad idea for a coach to bench a player when he does not perform to his standards, or makes dumb mistakes.

As far as I know, Trumaine Johnson has been a fuckin joke for the amount of money Mac gave him and this board has been clamoring for him to get off the field for a long time.

And Gase made clear his reasoning behind "benching" Adams, who was risking getting into further trouble than his $21k fine, especially since Gase wants our starting safety, and one of the best players on the field available against New England on Sunday.

Rolling with average receivers falls at the feet of Gase? Do you realize that Gase was not a part of our previous drafts or off-season moves? Gase did not put this receiving corps together. Years of Mac did

NYJFOREVER, SOJAZ and NYJetsO12 like this.
  14. BrowningNagle

-Tru Johnson shoulda been benched permanently for awhile now.
    -Jamal Adams being pissed about a temporary benching is a good thing.

A player should be upset when he's taken off the field. That move was for the locker room as a whole and not so much Adams. Williams/Gase wants to show the players that everyone needs to be held accountable for making mistakes or dumb penalties, from the pro bowl safety, to the $16 mill corner, to the practice squad fill in.

15. GasedAndConfused

it was also the last 5 plays of a game that was over anyway. I love the fact adams doesn't give 2 fucks about the game being over and is still out there trying to make shit happen every play even in a lost cause of a game.

16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree with most of this post, but who is Patrick Ramsey? Surely, you're not talking about the former NFL QB. Do you mean Jalen Ramsey? If so, I have to vehemently disagree with you on that. He is a great player, but also has an attitude problem, and I think would be a cancer and a me-first player. Even if he's not, and is just frustrated with this situation in Jacksonville, why wouldn't he have the same frustration here? Further, it's probably going to take multiple high picks to get him, and we can't afford that. OL has to be the #1 priority. If Sam gets hurt, it doesn't matte how great the D is, we're not going to win very much.

17. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

I did mean Jalen Ramsey.

CB is as big a problem as OL even though it should have been solved by giving Johnson the bag of money.

18. Andy_M

Andy_M Well-Known Member

Absolutely possible, but you have to think that it is extremely unlikely. Even if his physical play isn't what it used to be, Ryan Kalil was a pretty decent center with 150 games of NFL experience of which he started 147. Pretty tough to believe that he's getting it wrong that much. The QB's maybe, but hard to believe Kalil just forgot how to read after a pretty decent career.

SOJAZ likes this.
  19. Falco21

I blame Siemien and Falk.

There were a number of times I remember yelling to audible out of the play due to the rush the defense was showing. In fact I distinctly remember the announcer saying that one or two times.

This offense is suffering big time with the loss of Darnold. That is apparent

20. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

He beat the pats...twice.:confused:

Listen...we all know, deep down in that ugly part of our souls, what the real problem is...

[​IMG]

NYJetsO12, rickjet and HomeoftheJets like this.