Adam Gase Thread (Merged)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Longsuffering88, Sep 16, 2019.

1. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Did anyone else cringe when Gase decided to try an onside kick with 12 minutes left down by 22 points?

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

True, but Dick Vermeil was pretty successful as a HC, and he was supposedly very nice.

3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I cringed when they called a timeout and we tried the same exact approach which the only way you'd recover is via surprise with the pussy kicker getting his own ball.

I don't really inherently have a problem with it though. Did we have a better chance getting three stops and three scores kicking deep? I mean there was a low percentage either way. I don't mind being proactive.

4. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

No, I cringed when he decided to punt down 28 at the start of the 4th.

5. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I agree with this that the biggest problem is Gase is a dead coach and will be fired it is just a matter of when. But. I also believe it is a very hard to be a good coach and be a jerk. One can only get away with treating people badly if they have either amazing charisma like Parcells or a reputation that commands respect like Belicheck. My biggest pet peeves with young coaches is they are often so insecure that they try to create respect by being jerks this almost never turns out well.See Todd Haley, Mangini, that coach from Rutgers that went to TB and Josh McDaniels in Denver. Young coaches need to earn players respect not force it upon them. If I have learned only thing in 56 years it is that the key to success in anything in life is treating others kindly and with respect.

6. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

It may haves already been mentioned, but I think one of the worst things about the Adam Gase era is that’s it’s started off so poorly.

Duh...but hear me out.

As we’re all well aware, first time Jets head coaches have started off with successful seasons over the last 20+ years. This gave the mirage that perhaps the second season (or in Rex’ case the 3rd) might have just been a fluke.

Gase starting off as a failure snuffs out that glimmer of hope that we’ve had with past coaches and regimes.

That is, in part, why this feels like the lowest of the low points.

7. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

Or it could be that Gase has 4 years as a headcoach and is a failure. So we started out knowing we will fail. The only thing we can do with watch them waste Darnold time.

SOJAZ and ColoradoContrails like this.
  8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

If true, I hope that Sam goes to Chris Johnson and says that either Gase has to go or he won't re-sign with the Jets when his rookie deal is up.

NYJetsO12 and J-Raw24 like this.
  9. Jonathan_Vilma

It's a valid point for sure. Herm, Mangini, Rex and Bowles all had good uplifting first seasons. Even Al Groh was 9-7.

Now part of the problem is the foundational issues that occurred in the Mangini to Rex transition. I fully believe that a lot of NFL coaches could've won the amount of regular season games that Rex won and some could've won more with that roster.

You can't take away what he did in the playoffs. He confused and beat three out of four Hall of Fame quarterbacks in a two year span with probably the 26th QB in the league on his side. Sanchez played better than that in the playoffs but that's besides the point.

Before that though I think getting rid of Mangini was the biggest issue. Woody had an easy out because of the collapse from 8-3 to 9-7 against one team over .500. But I think he was outted because of the direction they wanted to go. We have a Super Bowl ready roster.

Woody/upper management; Get me every available veteran that can help us and I'll sacrifice the following seasons and I also hired a guy to fit all the numbers together (Tannenbaum). I don't think Mangini was down for pissing away the draft so it was an easy fire.

Then the two seasons following the AFC Championship games were overstocked with back loaded old veterans that we'd slowly have to wait to retire/cut when feasible. So Woody said ok let's try the draft thing. The Seahawks are doing it, I'll hire Idzik. And obviously quick disaster that lead to fan anarchy and he reverted back to saying fuck it. Short term winner.

I truly think Mangini should've been our coach for a the majority of the past 10-12 years. He coached up players extremely well. He had a system that he established and could draft for. Beyond the Gholston disaster he gave this franchise David Harris, Revis, DBrick and Mangold in a three year span among a fair amount of other contributors.

He had his flaws. He was the king of shell up in the fourth quarter to settle for punts and play prevent defense. Teams marched there way back into games because of it several times. Bowles did it a ton too.

The idea of losing before you win is really OK. Professional sports are adopting it all over the place. Astros, 76ers, now in the NFL the Dolphins. The Seahawks did it after Hasselback/Alexander were washed up too.

The problem is that we did an entire decade of losing and still need to circle back to the losing pattern first. We should be loaded with high end draft picks that we have been slowly re-signing. Instead we're trading away the Darron Lee's and Leonard Williams of the world to salvage the shitty picks they were.

We need a strong draft. We need a 2011 Seahawks draft or a 2017 Colts draft. It's not insurmountable but if it doesn't happen we'll be stuck in the same.

donkey, NCJetsfan, FJF and 2 others like this.
  10. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

I think this draft will have to be strong. It will tell us about our future with Douglas. Can he turn our draft problem around?

That said I also believe it will be a few drafts before we see a big turn around. It will take at least a few years to make us truly competitive. If he can fix the problems over the next 2 years and evaluate our current players, extend what we need (Sam and whoever else becomes integral), then we have a bright future.

We just need to be patient with Douglas and have hope.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

He should have called the Dumb Dumb Brothers right after Thus Night Football and started he ball rolling to get Gase off his back

Sam has to do everything possible not to hate Football after AG ...can Vilma or any other Gates apologists not believe the HC is ruining this Kid????

12. Jonathan_Vilma

You can point out the obvious talent deficiencies and be willing to give coaches/GM's/personnel a chance without being an apologist.

It's a little bit different than the guys who defended Sanchez as a franchise quarterback after his wonderful 2012 campaign. Where is junc by the way?

FJF likes this.
  13. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

I agree we need to everyone a chance yes...but like the rest of us waiting for a SB for 50 plus years I am not sure if i have much patience for this ... and of course, as time goes on there might be more damage done to Darnold, his attitude ruined etc .....or , positively, big improvement in our QBs performance >>>>winning record

If Gase and the CS produce a winning record plus JD upgrades the OL and positions with the talent, well there wont be much to complain about,right?

14. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

i was actually going to mention that you are doing a very good njyunc impression in this thread :)

15. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

its not a matter of nice guy vs dickhead, especially for fans. everyone thinks bill bellichick is a dickhead but reality is that he is a dick when it suits him and he is not when it doesnt. numerous things have come out this past year of him being a very normal guy and a very personable and funny guy. he just doesnt feel that WE the idiot fans need to see that.

the problem is when you have a narcissistic personality as your leader and he is unchecked it can create problems. the i dont take blame stuff, the its his fault stuff the i will prove a point and not use the guy we just paid a ton of money because he doesnt fit my system stuff. thats all narcissistic bullshit and something that gase has shown he is in the past. THAT is why we should have never hired him.

of course there are guys out there that are great coaches who are like that, steve spurrier comes to mind. but how did his nfl career work out? grown men dont care to deal with people like him and it will prove itself out over the next year and please god the idiots who own the team will rid the team of him.

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  16. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I remember when we lost to the Seahawks in 2008 TGG was demanding Mangini get fired - even though it was Farve's reckless throws that cost us the game. In fact, Farve was responsible for the bulk of that losing streak that led to Mangini being fired.

17. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Steve spurrier is loved by anyone who played for him

the thing about Gase is that we have people like you claiming he's narcissistic and doesn't take accountability for himself, and yet he will say he made the wrong call and people like you will say he's an idiot admittedly makes mistakes. its such a contrast that it looks like the Gase haters are overly emotional and all over the place.

Gase is just a normal coach who hasn't won anything yet. Hell, there's like 28 coaches in the NFL like that. Ron Rivera who everyone loves, is one of them as well.

When/if Gase wins, the same things you say about him being an asshole will be the same things you give him credit for - like Belichick.

NYJFOREVER, FJF and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  18. Jonathan_Vilma

There's this big cloud over Gase as if he's this big douchebag and an even bigger act like these big violent professional athletes can't take a little bit if criticism.

Newsflash: every NFL coach is some form of a narcissist. I'm not sure why you think other wise. Gase seems straight forward to me. He doesn't bullshit around and he doesn't sugar coat things. If he wants to build a rugged culture that works for me. Better than the Resort that Bowles ran. That worked out so well.

I've never met a football coach that wasn't some form of a narcissist. You also like to base this on press conferences he does with reporters that dislike him because he's not a great personality with the media.

I don't really give a shit if he's not Mr. Charisma. The douchebag act doesn't always get old as you so claim. Coaches are often much different behind closed doors, and that's all that matters.

So far, all I've seen is one adequate player (who he traded away) think he's a schmuck. I'd be surprised if any coach in the league didn't have at least one player that hated him.

We're so deep in society with quick twitch reactions to everything that happens. And once you form an opinion on something you HAVE to stick to it and hate who you said you've hated all along. It's ok to acknowledge that things take time.

You don't have to stick to your initial opinion just for the sake of hoping you're correct and can say so. And that's a lot of where the Gase hate stems from.

Two of the best coaches I ever had were also the biggest control freaks I ever played for. The worst coach from an improvement standpoint? He was a rah rah Herm Edwards guy. Great guy. Didn't teach the game well.

#2958 Jonathan_Vilma, Dec 16, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
    FJF likes this.
  19. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Unless you hate Gase too, maybe you should refrain from judging where its' coming from.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  20. Jonathan_Vilma

Where else does it come from? What else can you judge his supposed awful personality and coaching style from? Reports, and press conferences.

If you have another source I'm missing, or personal interactions, please show us.