Aaron Rodgers Main Thread #3

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Apr 9, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

IF...IF...Douglas was thinking of Rodgers as a "one year rental", I don't think he would've gone down this path. I think he's expecting at least 2 years, and maybe three, by which time he will hope to have a new FQB in place.

Also, while you can find a FQB in any round, the highest odds are in Round 1, and the higher up in Round 1, the better the odds. Given that, the reports that JD is standing firm on not giving up a #1 pick unless they get to the SB with Rodgers. Yes, that would be high price, but at that point would most Jets fans care?

I think Douglas is trying to walk a line between trying to "win now", while also staying on track with his blueprint of creating sustainable success. It's tricky, but is quite possible - the best GMs in fact do this. We haven't seen the fruits of his plan yet, so it's easy to give into skepticism, but if we don't have any faith in him pulling this off, the alternative is that they fire JD, Saleh & Co and start all over again. For one, I don't think Douglas deserves to be fired based upon his body of work. For two, I don't want to go through another rebuild, with no more assurance that it would produce any better results.

A total rebuild - which we've been going through under Douglas for 4 years - is a process, and it takes time. And given that JD was a rookie GM that adds to the timeline. At this point though they need to show real progress, as in making the playoffs. If they don't, then it's fair to ask if a different GM would do better.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The model for most effective way to acquire a franchise QB is going to be changing also due to teams taking the old model (high 1st round pick) and using it willy-nilly since 2014 or so and bombing repeatedly in the process.

This "QB's going 1-2" model is already an effective failure and in a few years will be completely obsolete as the NFL swings back to seeing the top few picks as the place to acquire All-Pros instead of the albatrosses that a top 5 QB usually represent when your only criteria in making the pick is position.

3. Since1969

Since1969 Well-Known Member

The other possibility is that the leak was designed to create doubt in the minds of the Green Bay front office as to whether Woody will eventually cave in to Green Bay's demands. Of course, I would be surprised if anyone in the Green Bay front office takes leaks like this very seriously.

We disagree, but I still like the placate-the-fans explanation.

4. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Got it….my bad. Thanks

The Waterboy likes this.
  5. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Got it. Thanks

6. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

I’m not sure how leaking we want an OT at 13 would create doubt in the minds of GBs FO. Please expound.

7. Since1969

Since1969 Well-Known Member

Here's my thinking, and it has nothing to do with an OT at 13:

The Green Bay front office knows that Woody is a star-fucker and has his heart set on Aaron Rodgers. So far, Woody has resisted Green Bay's exorbitant trade demands, but the Green Bay front office may think that if it stands firm long enough, Woody will eventually start sweating and order Douglas to give Green Bay what it wants.

This is where the leaks come into play. The San Francisco leak may have been orchestrated by Green Bay to try to make Woody sweat by suggesting that if he doesn't cave, he'll lose Rodgers. The leak on Woody laughing at Green Bay's "other options" was the Jets front office trying to convince the Green Bay front office that Woody isn't buy the San Francisco story and is standing as firm as the rock of Gibraltar.

Frankly, with no news on the Rodgers situation other than leaks, there's not much else to do but speculate. It seems pretty obvious that one side is playing games. Maybe both are.

I seem to remember something like this happening when the Knicks acquired Carmelo Anthony from Denver. Dolan really wanted Melo, and Denver was asking a lot in return. Knick GM Donny Walsh told Dolan to wait because the price would eventually come way down, but Dolan got nervous, pushed Walsh aside and gave Denver what it wanted.

#407 Since1969, Apr 23, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2023
  8. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I just don't think we will be giving up a 1st rounder with possible exception of winning the SB, and even then... There is a solid chance Rodgers retires after one year. We will need that 1st round pick to have a shot at a QB. I don't think JD would do that because Rodgers and the Jets are already committed to each other. GB is committed to Love. There is just no way they are writing a 60 mil check to Rodgers on Sept 1st. Come Sept 1st, they will have to trade Rodgers for a 7th round pick.

They have to know that at the end of the day, they will have to trade Rodgers, and the offer after the draft will not be as good. 2nd rounder this year plus taking Rodgers' 110 mil salary is already a good value. Plus we will likely part with a 3d or 2nd round pick next year. GB has to do this deal. Otherwise it is cutting off your nose to spite your face. They will do the deal without the 1st and Rodgers will be a Jet by Friday night.

JetFanInNE and ColoradoContrails like this.
  9. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

The way this team is so confidently sitting back right now, plus Douglas gleefully announcing he’s gonna be here, my bet is the deal is done and in place and has been for a while. I think it’s signed effective June 1st for cap reasons for both teams most likely. If true then we’re obviously not giving up a pick this year, so most likely a player (Corey Davis maybe), as well as a reasonably high value of 2024 draft picks because the following year’s draft picks tend to valued just about a round lower that the current draft. That’s my guess. And if it’s the case, nobody can talk about it until June 1st. The media will constantly float ridiculous rumors because they need stories for viewership/readership.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  10. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

I see the misunderstanding… the only “leak” I attribute to the Jets is that we’re honed in on OT at 13. When you reference am the leak from the Jets, I thought you were talking about that.

IMO everything we’ve heard about the trade has been from GB. JD runs a tight ship

11. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

I think you are correct. I'm of this mindset as well, at least In terms of the trade already being set to happen.

I think where my theory differs Is I believe that It's draft day dependant, which Is why It hasn't been made official.

I have a feeling that we might end up swapping picks In the first round If certain players are there for GB. It could have some kind of dynamics with our 2nd round picks as well.

I don't know for sure but I do believe that the draft Is dependant In some capacity that way where both teams need to see how things play out before making things official one way or another.

Hopefully we will know this week one way or another.

NOVAJET, Jets79 and KY Jets Fan like this.
  12. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Bakithari has a $40M cap hit in 2024

I can’t think of a worse addition to a Rodgers trade.

Especially when you are sitting at 13 and can get an offensive tackle as good or better than him, and way cheaper, just by staying put!

Nyjets4eva and KY Jets Fan like this.
  13. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Yea I’m not quite sure why some people are so hard to have him included. His contract sucks, he’s 31, we have the 13th pick in a draft that has a bunch of good tackles. I don’t see what the draw is.

14. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Because it gives you flexibility at 13 if the OTs are gone. You can also swap 13 - 15 with GBP if they are hell bent at getting 13. Toss in 42/43 and you are basically giving up the 26th or so pick for AR + a starting LT for the next 3 years.

Bakhtiari is an obvious restructure at that number, he is also only 33 years old, 5 years younger than our starting LT in Brown.

Also, the cap doesn't exist. It's a myth. Every year we are sitting here discussing how the hell this team or that team signs this guy or that guy.

15. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

I see your perspective on the draft as well. The only reason I don’t think that’s the case is because that would force the official trade date to be prior to June 1st, and I think that’s prohibitive for GB. Very early on when trade rumors broke multiple pundits were claiming they couldn’t see how this deal could be made prior to June 1st. Then that narrative fell off a cliff never to be reported again, most likely because it doesn’t help fuel the story if we know there won’t be news until then. Just wait, if the trade doesn’t happen during the draft the media will be applying max pressure to the story with all sorts of outlandish rumors.

16. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

He last played a full season in 2019. Missed four games in 2020. Missed all but one game in 2021. Missed six games in 2022. Not sure that’s the guy I want to rely on at the most important position on the line when you have a one or two year window. Especially when you were going to have to restructure his bad contract to push more money down the road. The cap is a myth until it isn’t.

Nyjets4eva likes this.
  17. dawinner127

He's been an AP in 5 of the last 7 years. He tore his ACL on December 31 of 2020 in practice so it's understandable why he missed all of '21. He had an appendectomy in '22. which is why he missed six games. Those are freak injuries as to why he missed time.

18. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Thats way too damn much to take two aging veterans with ugly contracts from GB.

Doing them a favor with Rodgers is one thing, I dont love that either but the last thing I wanna do is ask them if they have any other old guys with horrible contracts we can take from them.

--

sit put, draft Broderick Jones. Its on GB now if they want us to take on Rodgers or not

19. dawinner127

Yeah I was just giving an example. I think it's a lot as well, but my main point was that it gives them flexibility with 13 if some how Bakhtiari is included. He is still a very good player.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  20. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I kind of feel the same way about the cap…not so much that it doesn’t exist, but more so that we’ve seen time and time again that it’s not too hard to find cap room…when it’s as easy as converting salary to salary+bonus to spread the bonus out and lower the current year hit without changing one penny of cash flow, it’s not too hard to find guys among the 50+ guys on the roster to do it with.

I get you kick the can down the road, but with revenues increasing every year like crazy, kicking the can down the road seems like a pretty good bet honestly. It’s only when they had the COVID year that revenues actually decreased, and teams managed that fine.

In the end, I think the cap really helps give teams an out when they don’t want to pay players their contracts anymore…its a story that’s easily sold to the media and fanbase…”well, we’d love to keep him, but you know, we have a cap and you can’t keep everybody” kind of talk track.

That’s why I really don’t have a problem with a player holding out when they outperform their contract…the team has every right to cut a player or ask them to restructure when they feel the player isn’t earning their pay, so why shouldn’t the player have the right to ask for more money when they outplay their pay? It frustrates us as fans when “the players don’t honor their multimillion dollar contracts”, but if I’m a player, or if my son was a player, I’d say fine, then the teams should honor their deals too….

ColoradoContrails likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.