Aaron Rodgers is a Jet

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NOVAJET, Apr 24, 2023.

1. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

My understanding of his contract is he's owed roughly 60M this year and potentially 47M next year, if he plays in 2024.

That money, however, can be spread out as an option bonus over the remaining years of his contract, which has void years on it through 2026. This would essentially mean that we pay him roughly 15M per year through 2026 for his 2023 hit (~60M) and could do the exact same thing with his 2024 cap hit (~47M) which would mean we're paying another ~15M per season through 2026.

The hope is they've found a way to reduce these potential dead cap hits in 2025 and 2026 when there's very little chance he's on the roster. I, like you, am no capologist so I'm not even going to pretend to know how they could do that but hearing things said by those close to the team (Connor Hughes, Boomer, etc.) makes me think there's going to be some sort of restructure once he's officially a Jet today that either totally eliminates these hits or reduces them substantially. Guess we'll find out soon enough.

2. AG3

AG3 Well-Known Member

3. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

[​IMG]

4. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Almost no impact in 2023 for us, GB has a $40M dead cap hit and off the books in 2024. The contract for 2024 and beyond will be restructured once he becomes a Jet . That will tell the story.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  5. STARoSCREAM

STARoSCREAM Well-Known Member

This guys great, manages to make fun of all the franchises right where it hurts. He manages to get you to laugh at all the other three then its a swift kick right back in the nuts of your own team

6. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

It's Nike's flake turd line.

7. 50ShadesOfGreen

50ShadesOfGreen Well-Known Member

Regarding the 2nd round pick that could turn into a 1st next year....If Rodgers is playing that percentage of the snaps, I'm going to high ball and say the Jets would have a winning/playoff season. So the 1st round pick for next year would be somewhere in the 20's. Maybe it's me, but I don't think that's a big deal tbh. It's not like it would be a top 15 pick.

8. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

I was firmly in the Lamar Jackson camp to start the off season. The problem is that I never thought it was realistic. Whereas your other two were readily available.

But like you said, doesn't matter now.

9. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

10. JETSJETSJETS17

JETSJETSJETS17 Well-Known Member

Woody looks like he is selling ice cream out of the back of a truck.

11. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

LOL. Well done! :D

12. joe

joe Well-Known Member

A mass murderer? . Nice dopelgänger Ralebird. . . Well played.

[​IMG]

Irrational? . . Please expound on why @hobgoblin (and other's) optimism should be declared (and loftily sneered at in your inimitable manner) as "irrational?"

13. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

He needs to hurry up and die already.

14. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

15. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Top 10 line alone does not guarantee success but it definitely helps - if you have other pieces. Eagles, Chiefs, and 49ers made conference finals. They are top 7. Now, I think getting at least to the middle of the pack, or dare I say above average, would be a good start. Arod is turning 40 soon. I am scared shitless as durable as he is, if he takes some of the hits Mike White took, we are fucked. We are in agreement that we have to improve the line. I don't have the subscription to the link you posted, but the eye test tells me we had to be at the bottom of the NFL last year, which greatly impacted the QB play.

This brings me to the 13 for 15 pick swap. I think from this entire deal, this is the one that bugs me the most because of immediacy and potential severity of implications. I just don't see how GB does not accept this deal even without the swap if JD waited longer. Being a Jet fan that I am for decades, I just have a terrible feeling this is going to cost us the All American Tackles: Skoronski or Johnson, which in turn will result in significantly worse OLine this year as other prospects are worse. Let's hope it does not happen. I will feel a lot better if we get some blue chip tackle help, like these guys.

16. JetFanInNE

JetFanInNE Well-Known Member

Sounds like we might not have had a shot at him even at 13
    https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...-at-no-3-after-report-kyler-murray-wants-him/

17. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Hey, genius - a doppelganger is all about physical appearance; it has absolutely nothing to do with vocation or avocation.

But you did have to get in your daily personal attack, I see.

18. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Wow, Nathaniel Hackett looks like a totally different person. He seems lively and hard-core with that goatee. He just looks amped, we sure this was the same head coach Denver had?

SOJAZ and ColoradoContrails like this.
  19. SackExchange69

SackExchange69 Well-Known Member

20. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Lots of rumors now... As long as we don't lose Paris/Sko at 13/14 (or Jones if they are gone before) I think trade down will turn out not impacting us this much. I have a bad feeling it will be the opposite, but hopefully it is because of being paranoid Jets fan. We will find out soon enough.

#460 Borat, Apr 27, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2023