Aaron Rodgers is a Jet

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NOVAJET, Apr 24, 2023.

1. vokab206

vokab206 Well-Known Member

2-3 years is perfect. All in.

2. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

I'm of the same thought as you In regards to JD. Exactly the same actually.

However. The track record Isn't good, which I can live with because good things do take time to build. That window has closed now though.

That first draft was bad and missing on the young QB Is a fairly big set back.

This year will bring everything full circle. The off-season and season combined. It truly Is a make or break year for JD.

He's had a very bad draft and an exceptional draft. This upcoming draft will determine which JD Is true to form.

The adaptive thinking to pivot to Rodgers to save the talent that has been built from being completely wasted was the right move. IMO

Will If pan out though?

I think the edge goes to what you said, this roster, as a whole. Is actually extremely solid. When I think about draft needs, where we can upgrade, etc... It's actually hard to find very many spots that need a significant upgrade.

Which Is impressive.

All In all.

I'm rooting for him and I think he's the best GM we've had since the late 90's. That only matters though If we are winning. We haven't been doing a lot of that, so If that doesn't change, it's hard to justify him still being part of the future with this team.

3. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I know you meant to show that OLine doesn't matter, but these rankings concern me. Two teams that went to SB are both top 4. Also, GB is #3. And I saw with my own eyes what shit line can do right here on the Jets. I think Mike White can attest. If Rodgers is going from #3 to shit OLine, it is not a good situation. Especially with him being 40 years old. We have to fix the OLine, there is absolutely no doubt about it, and hopefully there will be top tackles left with #15 to do just that.

4. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I can tell you right away one thing where Connor is way off on. He is saying GB after they heard Rodgers on McAfee show decided they want 1st round pick unprotected and that stalled the deal. As if Rodgers' interview caused this. This is simply not true. If you remember on Monday 3/13 when new League year tampering period started we all expected the deal to be done as it was in the works for a while. But it wasn't done. Most thought it's because AR doesn't want to come to NY. But that turned out to be false. So, the reason why the deal wasn't done was because they could not agree to compensation before his interview, which was Wed. This has nothing to do with the interview itself. They didn't have a deal, before the interview, and nothing changed after.

5. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

This is exactly where I am at as well. Did JD overpay given the situation? For sure. Gutekunst knew JD's job is on the line, while he is safe, and that turned out to be the ultimate leverage. I still feel that if JD waited until the draft and didn't fold, he would get a much better deal, but it's done now, and the outcome is still a great one for the Jets. Getting Rodgers here even if we did give up a 1st next year, was a pipe dream not so long ago. JD still deserves massive credit for that, in spite of higher compensation conceded. It is extremely difficult to get a star QB as we all know. And JD's plan, starting with Hackett, then convincing Rodgers to come here, and finally closing the deal was overall a terrific accomplishment, in spite of giving up a 1st.

Right now we should all be excited. Yeah, giving up a 1st next year sucks, but if all goes well it will be a late first, and Rodgers at QB is well worth it. One first round pick is not mortgaging the future, unless it ends up at the top of the draft, which I cannot see happening with Rodgers playing. Well done JD to fill far and away the most important position with impact player. I didn't expect that when the offseason started.

#425 Borat, Apr 25, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2023
    Lon Chaney and Nyjets4eva like this.
  6. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I never wish for it because I've seen hopes washed away because of it. Douglas needs to get Rodger's rock solid protection. That is priority #1

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  7. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

People fail to mention his receiving corps was quite bad to start the season, they just never gelled. Now at least he has Lazard who he’s comfortable with and now a legit star WR in Garrett Wilson in the making who is his most talented WR since Adams.
    Hardman/CD and Mims…that’s a good WR corps with lots of athleticism

a healthy Hall would make this great but the Jets can bring it more weapons to make sure HE’S comfortable and not how it was with the Packers where they just gave him scraps and said, “Good Luck”.

8. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

This is true and they don’t take that into consideration for his mediocre numbers. He had a WR group that was really young and they weren’t on the same page for most of the year. They were learning on the fly and be still had a decent year. Maybe not usual MVP type but many factors played into it

9. SOXXX2

SOXXX2 Well-Known Member

Francesa loves this trade:

Most amount of praise he has given the Jets in 15+ years

10. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Hearing Rodgers willing to restructure his contract to lower cap hit further below 15m

11. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

I may be wrong (yes it happens) but my gut is he really wants to be here to shove it up the world's ass by winning..... Favre? Watch this! Brady wins on another team? Watch this... I'm bringing a title to the "God Damn Jets"
    Rodgers with a chip on his shoulder in the bright lights is a good thing!

Granted this is the JETS so I don't need to remind anyone of the historical probabilities that will happen, but it sure is exciting at the moment.

12. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I never meant to insinuate that OL doesn't matter because it absolutely does and I agree that we need to continue to address the OL.

I was just pointing out that teams have had success as recently as last year while not having the best OL in the league. I don't believe we need to have a Top 3-5 OL in 2023 to make a decent run, nor do I think having a top tier OL guarantees success. Look at the Top 10 of that list; Eagles, Ravens, Packers, Chiefs, Falcons, Browns, 49ers, Lions, Bucs, Raiders. Only half of those teams made the playoffs.

13. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

I think what you are not considering is what a shit QB can do to an otherwise competent OL. Defenses don’t respect Zach Wilson/Joe Flacco/Mike White, so they pin their ears back and attack. They know that Wilson is too stupid to know what to do, White is too proud and desperate to show what he’s got to live another play, and Flacco is just useless. You want defenses pinning their ears like they’ve been with Rodgers at QB because he’ll eat them alive.

14. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I'm hoping this isn't what Connor Hughes was referencing. I don't see how this benefits the Jets in anyway going forward.

Guess we'll see.

#434 KY Jets Fan, Apr 26, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2023
    Borat likes this.
  15. BleedJetsGreen1981

BleedJetsGreen1981 Well-Known Member

Actually Francesa has been aboard the Jets train since last season and has been very complementary of their defense and playmakers.

16. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

17. vokab206

vokab206 Well-Known Member

After seeing this, it's all worth it...

stinkyB and KY Jets Fan like this.
  18. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

I'm neither a capologist, nor do I play one on TV, so here's a question for the more knowledgeable: if extra dead years were added to the contract, could the 107.6M charge be spread out so as to minimize the Jets' hit?

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  19. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I don't know that it'll ever sink in for me. This is straight up bizarre. And I love it.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  20. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member