Aaron Rodgers is a Jet

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NOVAJET, Apr 24, 2023.

1. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Now ..if Douglas cant find a competent OL at 15 he should go from the Throne he's on now to the Dungeon please

You got a reworked deal that sounds pretty good..so protect that investment!!

2. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

How did we do that? By giving up a 2nd rounder that can potentially (most likely) turn into a 1st next year? You think that ONE single pick is going to drastically alter their ability to trade up for someone they view as a FQB? What happens if they trade back on Thursday night and acquire a 2024 Day 1 or Day 2 pick, does that change your opinion on how dreadful the outlook of this franchise is?

Sidenote: I'm with you, if one of Stroud/Levis/Richardson somehow slips to 15 or if Hooker is still there at 43, I'd be all over them. I think I'm in the minority of Jets fans with that opinion though.

You're presenting a lot of speculation as fact right now. "Rodgers only plays one year/retires after 2023", "Jets won't take a QB early in this draft", "they'll be one and done this year and won't have the assets next year to draft a potential franchise guy". Could these things happen? Certainly. Have they happened already? Nope. Like I did above with the trade back scenario, we can speculate all day long but don't present your speculation as fact and expect others to just go along with it.

3. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

What you need to realize is a very good portion of fault on poor OL play lies on QB recognition and intelligence. Zach Wilson had no idea how to identify blitzers and coverages, so not only did he have no idea who was coming from where half the time; he didn’t know what to do when he realized where the pressure was from. On top of that the D pins their ears back and brings the blitz because they know when a young QB doesn’t have the football intelligence to punish their aggression.

4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

1. When have the Jets EVER drafted and developed a FQB aside from Namath? Maybe Ken O'Brien. Given their track record of not developing QBs, they would have to be lucky enough to draft the best QB in this year's draft, but that's dependent on them being able to correctly identify said QB, which again, the Jets haven't done very well at, so where is the lost opportunity?

2. If you've been paying attention - and given you're a Bills fan you probably weren't paying close attention to Jets business - Rodgers's talk of retiring was really just his way of getting a bigger contract out of GB, and then getting himself traded to where he wanted to go once he realized the Packers didn't want him. He said he wants to play for the Jets. He said he wants to participate in all off season activities with the Jets. Does that sound like someone looking to retire? Moreover, we've seen what Rodgers does when he has a chip on his shoulder and something to prove, which he obviously does. Does that sound like retirement to you?

3. In 2017 the Chiefs moved up from #27 to #10 to draft Mahomes. If the Jets are capable of identifying a FQB (see comment #1 above), they should be competent enough maneuver to draft one. Douglas has shown a clear knack for getting prime assets in trades, so he should be able to acquire what he needs to move up to get the QB he wants, so the fact that at this point he probably doesn't have a 1st rounder next year isn't really a problem.

4. You, and most other Jets fans, believe that Wilson is a bust and so discount him, but apparently Douglas & Co think otherwise. Part of their motivation for getting Rodgers - not the primary one, but a reason - was to serve as a mentor for Zach because they still believe he can be a good QB. Although I know you won't concede this point, looked at from their POV, there's no urgency to draft Rodgers replacement right now.

Brook!, KY Jets Fan and dawinner127 like this.
  5. yanks9596

yanks9596 Well-Known Member

People put way too much stock into this “90% retired” talk. That was just a line he gave the media, and there was a reason why he said it. However, a comment like that cannot be taken at face value.

6. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

As much as I don't want them to do Hard Knocks because it can be such a distraction, selfishly I really want them to do Hard Knocks cuz of how interesting it would be.

Brook!, HomeoftheJets and KY Jets Fan like this.
  7. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

8. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

I've gone on the record as thinking we gave up too much for Rodgers but that is the last time I am going to say that because the deal is done and there is no point moaning about it.

Now, I cannot help but be excited by the idea of having a good quarterback under center. If we can get two years out of him that would be great, if he somehow is rejuvenated here and gives us three years then I will be very happy.

I can't wait to see what he can do with our exciting stable of receivers. We could have a truly dangerous offense if everything comes together.

And these swirling rumours about getting some sort of good deal on the contact are encouraging too. Let's all hope things are about to get good for at least a couple of seasons! I love this team and would so like them to be relevant again.

9. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

Our record is dismal, no doubt about it, but I would put Pennington on that very short list. They sat him for a couple of years and he then enjoyed his best season when he was handed the starting job in 2002. His injuries derailed him, not poor handling by the Jets.

10. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Well I believe it was poor handling by the Jets that led to those injuries that cut his career short. In any case, he didn't play long enough or enough games for me to consider him a bona fide FQB - very good, but not great. But even if I counted him, their record of finding and developing good young QBs is terrible, and argues strongly against the notion that they could be counted on to do that.

#410 ColoradoContrails, Apr 25, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2023
  11. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Yeah…the list of failure QBs we’ve drafted is MUCH longer than the list of successful ones…We’ve spend first and second rounders on the likes of Browning Nagle, Mark Sanchez, Sam Darnold, Hackenberg, Clemons, Zach…it’s a long list…on the other hand you can count the list of good QBs we’ve drafted on one hand…Namath 50 years ago, then pretty much Pennington and Kenny O’Brien…not sure which bucket to put Richard Todd in but he was no FQB

I still think you need to keep drafting them until we find one, but it’s been a nightmare for us…I do think we should take a QB to develop behind Rodgers, but probably not this year…maybe next…

Borat and ColoradoContrails like this.
  12. RevisIsland18

RevisIsland18 Well-Known Member

very happy about this, cant wait to see how the season unfolds. i got lot of crap for trading for arod mid season last year and i think we would've gave up the same amount as we did now. it would def given us a better end to the season. anyways LETS GOOOOOOOOOOO!

13. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

On other relevant news. I’ll be very interested to see what the final WRs,TEs and RBs corps ends up being for the Jets this year. I think on paper at least, it will be a very nice set of weapons to help AR on this journey. The common denominator of solid blocking and strong YAC comes to mind. It will be fun.

14. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

I guess I'm in the group that thinks the trade was not that bad, a bit favoring GB but not by much. Especially if Rodgers is with the team 3 years, waiting to see what that reworked contract looks like.

Yes, i know hoping for 3 years is a bit much but might as well really think positive, i treasure the big Jets let downs.

Acad23, ColoradoContrails and LAJet like this.
  15. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Why not? He is better than any QB the Jets have had in years, is young enough to be around for a long time and has been available in this off-season.

For now, it doesn't matter; tune in when January comes.

16. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Yes, the Jets have let all ships but one sail away. The sagacity of that decision is yet to be seen; check back every January for the next ten years.

17. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

18. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

19. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Best news yet. Freaking awesome

NYJetsO12 and Poeman like this.
  20. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

It's not but there's two things I find to be facts.

He's had three off seasons, not four. The record it what it is, but acting like he had as much influence year 1 as opposed to the other years is like saying a starting pitcher is crap and pointing to when he was a reliever. crappy analogy but it works. It's distorting the facts.

Second is this team has not been as talented as they are now across the board since the late 2000s team. You knew those Tanny teams were going to crumble under itself, and I'm we will need to see if the same happens with JD.

The idea he's the worst GM in Jets history as some have said, I don't think you have, is an incredibly bad take that requires massive blinders that prove otherwise.

Obviously, I like JD and most of his moves outside of his first draft and Wilson... I put blame on him for the O Line maybe but not as much as others in the forum... But that's a lot of fail in three years so I get people who don't like him. He's added a ton of talent to this team and I believe in him more than that last decade of guys by a mile and that's a start

IIMeanDeanII likes this.