Aaron Rodgers is a Jet

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NOVAJET, Apr 24, 2023.

1. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Because at some point you have to swing for the fences and this is a very logical, reasonable swing for the fences seeing as how you have tons of young talent and plenty of picks to move forward with.

2. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

I'd rather swing for the fences with the future In mind though. Not go All In on a short window of opportunity In hopes of capturing that rare Superbowl run on a slightly better chance of success with a former MVP at QB.

Big emphasis on former.

There will be two generational type QBs in the draft next year and we all but certainly ruined any shot at either of them now because of this.

It's just desperate and desperation almost always loses In the end.

Ralebird likes this.
  3. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Then, my friend, you just weren’t living in reality.

This deal was always going to be a 2023 2nd and a conditional pick in 2024 that could become a first.

BleedJetsGreen1981 and LAJet like this.
  4. NYsportsfan1962

I'm actually more upset that they did the1st round swap because it now may cost us one of the top three tackles. NE who picks 14 has been slated for a tackle in lots of mocks I've seen and we may be now left with Darnell Wright who is really just a right tackle. We gave them a freakin first next year, I'm shocked JD couldn't keep his pick at 13. He caved on that one.

5. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

BleedJetsGreen1981 likes this.
  6. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Anyone at all! Wow!!

And there’s nothing Baltimore could do to stop it?!?! That’s wild!!!

7. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Luckily we did swing for the fences with the future in mind because as I’ve pointed out multiple times now, we have a boatload of young talent and almost full coverage of picks. I need you to explain to me how we are fucked for the future. Because we probably don’t have a first next year and we don’t have a shot at the first round quarterback that means the entire future is damned and we might as well start from scratch if we don’t win the title this year?

8. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Yes, we probably paid a bit more than we should have. OTOH, we really don't know all the behind the scenes stuff, so people here who are speaking with "authority" that all Douglas had to do was wait and he could've gotten Rodgers cheaper don't know that. It's quite possible - not likely but possible - that GB would've simply kept AR and rolled with him next year. Why not? It's not like Love is a proven commodity. In fact, GB did NOT have to make this deal.

And it's not like JD got screwed, as some here are saying. We're getting a 4 time MVP, a surefire HOF QB coming off his worst season that would've still been better than any Jet QB since the last GB refugee was here, and he actually wants to be here and to participate in all offseason activities.

Sure, it may not work out. Please provide ONE example where a trade, signing, or draft pick was EVER guaranteed to work out. Last year the Jets had a very good defense but poor QB play and poor OC performance held them back. These issues have been completely transformed for the better. If anyone wants to piss on this trade, go ahead, but I'm looking forward to the first real chance for a shot at a SB appearance in decades.

BleedJetsGreen1981 and NYJetsO12 like this.
  9. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

On the flip side, we win the SB, is this deal worth it to you then?

10. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

So, the pick swap happened :D
    If Rogers plays more than one season or the Jets win the Superbowl this year, nobody will care about the comp.
    If he's one and done with no playoffs, there may be torches and pitchforks.

The deal needed to happen because the Jets need to be dragged out of the proverbial ditch and put back on the road, and this is what it takes.

11. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

This is the most likely outcome.

IIMeanDeanII and Br4d like this.
  12. HomeoftheJets

Sure, it could work out, but this is a dumb trade unless we get lucky.

13. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

You asked a question and I answered it.

Technically speaking that’s all anyone has to do to get Lamar, could Baltimore match the offer and nullify the deal? Of course but that wasn’t the question.

14. KingRoach

So AR is only 3 wins better than Wilson/Flacco?

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  15. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Reality? Really?

Mr. T

Wasn't all that good of a GM but above average In terms of what we are used to...

Got that kind of deal...

He didn't have to give up a 1st and 2nd on a potential one year rental.

The reality Is. We just did give up a 1st and 2nd for a 40 year old QB who just had a very down year, who was 90% convinced he was going to retire after the season. A guy who wasn't wanted by his current team, who were ready to move on to their young QB. They had a massive contract on their hands, a PR nightmare If things fell apart, and we STILL have them a 2nd and essentially a first next year as long as he plays 65% of the snaps. That's the ONLY condition as far as I can tell.

That Is dog shit.

The condition Is dog shit.

If the condition was that we need to make the Superbowl. Okay.

..but it's not.

On top of that. They, at worst, get at least a two next year.

Despite the fact the everyone and their mother knew GB had no options.

JD got fleeced. Badly.

Not even close.

16. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

just heard the news and working my way through it all…apparently there are some details still being worked, so once it’s all official we may see some other key points.

That being said, my initial reaction is much like lots here…seems a bit steep for a soon to be 40 year old QB who was 90% retired. Sure he wasn’t going to come cheap, but that 2024 first rounder is pretty much guaranteed…I was hoping for a stricter condition like at lease we make the playoffs.

All that though, and it’s still the move we needed to make…we have NO QB…period. And after passing on Carr, there was really no other option outside of Lamar…and that carries a ton of risk also.

He’s the best QB we’ll have had since Namath…and we need a QB

I would have preferred a stricter condition on next year’s pick, and I also would have wanted a pick back if he retires, so I do think the pricing is a bit steep…but even still, I think it was the right move to make…with AR here, we are a legitimate playoff team and potentially a deep one. I’m not ready to call us a legit SuperBowl team when we have Mahomes, Burrow and Allen in our conference, but at least now we have a shot.

Also kind of banking on the young team and a chip on his shoulder kind of rejuvinating AR … maybe we even get 3 years…we’ll see…

Glad it’s finally done, a bit disappointed in the compensation, but nevertheless we have a legit QB since the Chad days

17. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

The luck the Jets really need relates to injuries. Hopefully new turf helps that.
    Unfortunately, we were in a position which called for drastic measures. Let's hope it works out.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  18. HomeoftheJets

We got lucky last year facing backup QBs. That won't happen again this year.

JetFanInNE, IIMeanDeanII and Br4d like this.
  19. KingRoach

@JoeWalton said Lamar was available for two 1s. I asked “when was this”. The only answer to that question is “never”…. He was never available for 2 1sts… He was available to be spoken with. He was available to bid on…. But Lamar was never available.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  20. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I'll play.

Yes, it's worth it. Because the odds of us going 8-9 with Rodgers are far less than us going at least 10-7 or 11-6 or better. We can certainly argue over that, but you asked my opinion, and based on my assessment, that's why it's worth it.

Moreover, however much he plays, I believe - and I know you vehemently don't - that Zach Wilson is going to learn a lot about how to successfully play QB sitting and watching Rodgers, and being able to pick his brain, and paly against him in practice, and he will have a good shot at becoming the QB they thought they drafted 2 years ago.

Finally, even if the Jets had next year's 1st and needed to use it on a QB, what makes you think they would successfully draft and develop a good QB when they haven't been able to do this for decades?

Sorry, Rodgers is clearly the best move JD could've made even if he paid a bit more than some of us would've liked.

UK_Chilts and NYJetsO12 like this.