Aaron Rodgers confirms he wants to play for the JETS!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Mar 13, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I don't think you'll find a more precise circumstance or scenario as the Favre deal.
    It's literally the same situation with the same teams.
    There's no reason why that shouldn't be the standard here, and I do believe we will end up in that ballpark again all said and done. Maybe slightly more due to the current desperation, but nothing significant.

Stafford was very different due to the age of the players. Anything over 5 years is a long term answer in today's NFL.

KingRoach and IIMeanDeanII like this.
  2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Also the deal was Stafford for Goff and the 2 1st round picks for Goff's contract which was ginormous and freshly minted when the Rams decided he was not their FQB.

Kind of like the Packers and Rodgers. Really I do not understand why this deal was not done the moment the Packers found out that Rodgers was willing to go to the Jets. AFC? Check. Team unlikely to make them look really bad? Check. Ditching that ridiculous contract? Check.

You can make a very good argument that this should be a conditional 7th round pick we're giving up. We're bailing the Packers out of a very bad deal at exactly the moment they need to get out of it.

The trip to Cali was a *huge* mistake, which is not surprising given that what the Jets do over and over again is make huge mistakes.

IIMeanDeanII and Acad23 like this.
  3. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Might be wrong but you guys will be completely disappointed. It will be a second this year, and a second or third next year plus a back contingency to the Jets in 2025

4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

that’s too damn much. We are doing Green Bay a favor and should act like it

5. Br4d

This trade feels so much like the Favre trade at this point. Cotton candy that will be nice on the tongue for a fleeting moment and then gone leaving a bitter aftertaste. I'd be much happier with it if the OL was solid and we had a real chance to transition into what's next like we did in 2009.

That was a solid team that only had real lack of depth at WR. We partially fixed that by trading for Braylon Edwards and then went the whole 9 by transitioning into full ground and pound. I don't think we have the horses for that transition this time around.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

"Ground & Pound" wasn't enough to win then and it's even less capable of winning a SB now. A strong running game? Yes. But to think a team can eliminate the need for a very good - if not great - passing attack, and also bypass the Jets seeming inability to find/develop a QB to run such, is wishful thinking.

Borat likes this.
  7. Br4d

My point was that the Favre deal would have turned into a disaster if the Jets couldn't pivot away with a strong rushing attack next to a rookie QB.

This team is unlikely to be able to do that given the personnel on hand.

I actually disagree that Ground and Pound is incapable of winning a Super Bowl. The thing that's going to win the Super Bowl is a smothering defense and any coherent offensive system can support that primary component. The fact that teams have trouble assembling and maintaining a smothering defense is largely due to the parallel fact that the NFL over-rates and overpays the QB at this point in it's history. That's cyclical but it is cyclical in a timespan that most fans can't see the cycle.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  8. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

GB GM looks to be a very smart guy, I must admit. I think most people would have caved already. Reality is that GB MUST get rid of Rodgers and there are no takers other than the Jets. I think the real problem is that JD now is in his 5th year. If they don't win this year, he is done. Normally JD would offer a 4th round pick (7th is a bit much, because if there are some injuries in training camp another team may get interested) and wait them out until August if needed. But JD doesn't have stability to fail again, because he never won here. That's why ultimately the price will be higher than it would have been otherwise. We will likely give up the 2 this year and another 3d or lower asset next year. Which is not a huge price, but probably more than what he would have done if he had any success in previous years.

MDJets and ColoradoContrails like this.
  9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Since 2010 the NFL has favored a passing offense more and more. Essentially there is no "smothering defense". If your team can't score quickly - that is, via a passing attack - you're not going to win because you will fall behind, especially against playoff caliber teams. "Defense wins championships" is no longer a viable strategy. That's NOT to say having a strong "D" isn't important because it is, but it's virtually impossible to shut down the best offenses, especially when the league has directed the refs to give leeway to the offense.

Jets79 and Borat like this.
  10. NYJ1970

NYJ1970 Well-Known Member

Yeah, that is an oxymoron, isn't it? Kind of like military intelligence or government worker or a politicians integrity...

11. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

As the Jets world turns. Another page gets completed on the AR topic, now reaching 70 pages of threads full of hope, expectations, speculations and unsubstantiated rumors, Yet we don't know anymore now that on thread one regarding the offer, hold up,. time frame for resolution nor how close or far apart we are. We just as well go hibernate till draft day on this AR topic and find out if something broke then. Or not. And wonder what in Gods Green Earth can take a presumably agreed to in principle transaction and drag it thru the media mud for 3 months with not one ounce of clarity. I hope this is not a preview of how our next two years will be unfold.

12. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

Some reports that Rodgers hasn’t even worked out or done any football activities. Not bad for a 39 year old with $58M contract.

13. Br4d

We have no idea what AR did in that dark room. He might have done the Papillon thing and walked the walls until he was exhausted to maintain his strength.

14. Br4d

Woody should be thinking hard about what happened after he signed Darrelle Revis to that 2 year comeback deal.

The words "I'm old" come to mind.

15. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

"some reports"

c'mon maaaaaaan.....

16. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Actually, in his last interview, he said he is concentrating in staying in shape, working out with another pro football player but I can’t remember his name

17. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

I think he trains with Cobb if I am not mistaken. Maybe that is not the same guy you heard. There is nothing stopping a player or players training together on their own. Hopefully, few Jets and AR will be working out together.
    Else once we see a latest photo of AR, I am sure we’ll get “He’s fat” comments from the great TGG crew!

LAJet likes this.
  18. Bellys Lies

Bellys Lies Well-Known Member

Woody went to England for a few years and the Jets built a base to a good roster .He is back now and wants to do things his way. Woody has probably never been denied anything he has wanted in life. I think there is a triangle between Woody,JD and green bay. JD is probably looking to walk away . Woody is holding on tight to the dream and Green bay is sitting back to see how it plays out. Green Bay is probably asking for the farm, woody is willing to give up 3/4s of the farm and JD is like this is not how I operate. JD has never done a trade like this. It is all Woody. It is probably a power struggle . JD was not Woodys hire. What trade in the history of sports has gone down this way ? I think Green Bay sees a crack between JD and Woody and that is their leverage

James Hasty likes this.
  19. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Whatever happened to Trey Wingo?

BrowningNagle likes this.
  20. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

They are all full of shit.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.