aaron maybin is our best pass rusher

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetRizing89, Oct 17, 2011.

1. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Era of the Maybin

2. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

Maybin is such a breath of fresh air after years of dealing with Gholston's bullshit. So glad we brought him back. I was pissed when he was released initially before the start of the season.

3. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

The best part about Maybin is he has a nack for getting the ball when he sacks the QB. He really is not a good passrusher and on teams without our coverage he would probably get cut again. For what he is he's effective but we still need to address our pass rushing issues.

4. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I'm tellin ya, and anyone who was at the game Sunday can attest, he's getting better already. He's added a VERY quick spin to his arsenal but the problem is he has no control over himself. He's way too athletic for his own good. Once he gets the whole leverage and control thing down, he's going to be very good. And there's no reason to think a 24 year old under Rex can't do just that.

5. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

I loved how pissed he got at the offense after stripping the ball from Joe Flacco only to see Sanchez throw a pick-6 right afterwards on the Balt 30 yard line. It was awesome. The kid has blood in his eye on every play.

6. JetsFan56

JetsFan56 New Member

Jets' Aaron Maybin makes Rex Ryan take notice

In just four games for the Jets, Aaron Maybin has recorded three sacks and three forced fumbles.

And by coach Rex Ryan’s count, the third-year pass rusher has only been on the field for about “40-some snaps,” a number Ryan said will rise.

“Great production,” Ryan said. “We need to get him on the field more.”

The Jets signed Maybin in August, after the former first-round pick was released by the Buffalo Bills, but he didn’t stick on the 53-man roster.

They brought him back before the Week 4 game in Baltimore, and ever since, the player known as the Bills’ bust has been making his presence known on the field.

Maybin’s playing time has begun to increase as he learns more of the team’s complicated defense.

“There has definitely been a lot looser of a grip as far as the packages I’ve been inserted into,” Maybin said. “(Ryan) is starting to have a little bit more faith in me to come out and play in some of the defenses I didn’t know when I first got here.”

Maybin said after he was released by the Bills, he and his agent chose the Jets carefully.

He didn’t go so far as to blame Buffalo for not utilizing his talents, acknowledging that maybe he didn’t do enough to prove he should be on the field.

But he said the Jets staff has enough confidence in him to at least give him opportunities to make plays.

“The biggest factor for me (was) I’m not going to go someplace where basically I’m putting myself back into the same situation I was before,” he said, adding later: “The (Bills) coaching staff never really felt as though I was their guy, I guess, pass-rush guy. But here it’s been different, and the results are what they are.”

The Jets play at Buffalo after this week’s bye, a game Maybin said he has been “eyeing for some time.”

For more Jets coverage, follow Jenny Vrentas on Twitter at twitter.com/Jennyvrentas

Jenny Vrentas: jvrentas@starledger.com

7. AirStrike

AirStrike Member

My only worry with Maybin about the Buffalo game if he may try and press too hard, trying to get that extra split second on a crucial 3rd and long and jumping off-sides, or just going at 110 mph opposed to a 100 where he just losses control of his body on a pass rush.

If he just does what he does he'll be fine. The Bills tackles don't worry me at all, he'll shred 'em.

8. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

I don't know about that... a big reason he got cut, was because he couldnt get off a block to save his life in TC.

I think he will play inspired and make some plays against the bills, but i wouldnt be expecting a multi-sack, mulit strip game against them.. thats insane. The guy isnt a great player right now. He hustles harder than maybe anybody else on the defensive side of the ball, but he just isnt lining up 1 on 1 against anybody and beating them down, at least not yet.

9. AirStrike

AirStrike Member

He couldn't do anything in Buffalo. Couldn't pressure. Couldn't control his balance. Didn't hustle. Weighed 220 pounds, and all that other nonsense.

End of the day it was a smear campaign. They drafted Maybin thinking he could sustain 260 pounds and be a three down player, turns out he couldn't and their scouting department blew another pick. Then they slowly started eliminating his playing time when Gailey came in to the point where they weren't even letting him just pass rush because they wouldn't dress him. They then dumped him off and all this BS about him weighing as much as a receiver and all that other propaganda came out trying to get him out of the league.

Too bad Buffalo, now you're going to pay him to throw your QB into the dirt.

10. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Im a Maybin fan...Even though he looks like a idiot with his facial expressions, the guy is a Jet and loves being one. You can see his fire and passion to get to the QB everytime

11. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

i could care less what he looks like but with that production relative to snap count he may become one of the more productive players in the league this year.

can u imagine if he gets 10 sacks this year causing 5 fumbles averaging 15 snaps a game.

geez talk about efficient.

12. 4jetfans

4jetfans Well-Known Member

I was not to sure about Maybin, I thought OK we just got rid of a bust in VG. Now were taking another bust.. But I have been impressed with his motor and true passion for the game. Some times the grass is JET greener on the other side of the fence.. I hope he has a monster game against Buffalo.

13. talisaynon

talisaynon Well-Known Member

Still not a fan, love the hustle, but i can see him costing us more than helping us down the line.

Rex said in his presser he was 225. Lol. Homie needs to eat a cheeseburger or two.

14. Coach K

Coach K New Member

i think the best way to approach this is just pretend we drafted maybin instead and are now getting payback for it.

I literally never think of Gholston unless someone else mentions him.

he severely lacks strength though. the guys burst is about all he has. than he usually has to do a lap around a LT before getting through the pocket.

either way it only further states how bad we need a true 3 down OLB who can get to the qb

I am truly happy for the kid though. hes getting a rebirth here and not many guys make the most of their second chances.

15. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

So far he has a sack in every game he's played for us, as well as two force fumbles. I'd say he's an asset. What exactly is he costing us?

16. Coach K

Coach K New Member

I think hes referring to run defense once the snap count increases for him. I could be wrong but thats the only downside I see to the situaiton.

17. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

Excellent analysis.

18. kbgreen

kbgreen Well-Known Member

What I see is a guy who wants to make plays!

I am surprised the Jills gave up on him, yes he is undersized and can get thrown around but his effort and speed seem to enable him to make up for it. At least with him wehave a guy the other team has to account for him whenever he is in there because even if the play is to the other side he has the speed to catch up.

19. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Thanks, it took me all of 5 seconds to write it out.

20. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

I almost spit out my coffee and inserted the infamous pear wearing a sombrero with the LOL WUT? header.

Almost.