A look at our starting QB situation

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by johnnysd, May 29, 2006.

1. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

I think Clemens won't play a down this season - barring injuries. There are too many things going on to add a rookie QB to the equation. Not only does our OL need time to gel - but our offense needs time to take shape. Schotty has never been a coordinator. He will take his lumps just like a rookie QB. He will need this season to evaluate our teams strength's and the best way to utilize them.

Worst case scenario is Ramsey/Bolly are in there as punching bags as the above mentions issues resolve themselves. After picking up some skill players in next years draft then I can see allowing Clemens the chance to compete for the job. Let him have the opportunity to succeed. Stepping into an unknown offense with a line that needs to gel with virtually no weapons sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.

#21 Imagesrdecieving, May 29, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2005
  2. hiker

hiker Well-Known Member

The coaches will make the decision. If the staff believes Clemens is ready, they will go with him. If they don't, they won't. They know him better than we do. Some guys need to be protected so they won't be "thrown to the wolves", and some have enough confidence in themselves to be ready for any challenge.

If I had a vote, he wouldn't play this season, but none of us have that option.

3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Mangini is going to go with whoever he thinks gives the Jets the best chance to be competitive this year.

That's likely to be Ramsey or Chad in my opinion. If Clemens goes lights out in training camp and forces Mangini to play him then he'll play. As he should in that scenario.

4. NY2MD_FS

NY2MD_FS Member

gotta agree with you there. No way does clemens starts this year unless all other qb's on the roster are gone for the year. Look for clemens to be the starter in 07.

5. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

Unless Chad gets hurt...Bolllinger has no chance of being on the roster. None.

They brought in Ramsey to compete for the starting job. If he doesnt win it..and thats very possible..hes number 2...or visa versa.

Which makes clemens 3. If for some reason, Chad gets hurt/isnt ready...Bollinger would go into the two spot.

That would be the setup and this new regime would run with it until the end of the year to find out if Clemens is NFL material/ready and/or Ramsey/Pennington shines. If either is the case, they would start in 07.

Bollinger would only make this team if EM decides to cut either Chad or Ramsey for whatever reasons.

6. johnnysd

johnnysd Well-Known Member

Utter nonsense. I do not know how you can think that Bollinger will be cut. That will NEVER happen. Maybe you want it to happen but he will definitely be on the roster the entire year.

7. Duk Dodgers

Duk Dodgers Active Member

That could be the depth chart....but by the end of the season not the beginning. If ramsey plays himself off and if pennington gets hurt again so be it. But at the start of the season assuming penny's arm is coming along as much as he says it is the I see him starting, until he takes his first big hit anyway.

8. GeshJet

GeshJet Active Member

You're way too strong on Bollinger. If Chad is healthy, and of course I realize that is a big if, it seems to me extremely likely that Bollinger will be cut. The only other option is to carry four QBs which is almost unheard-of. To say that Bollinger will never be cut is just plain silly.

9. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

10. jaywayne12

Utter nonsense?

How?

Who exactly will Mr. Bollinger beat out. The only person I can see being cut is Ramsey..and I doubt it.

Im reading where people say Pennington will be on the IR this year...is that what MT/EM did by signing him this year..to put him on the IR in their first (rebuilding) year?

No...utter nonsense is to believe that Bollinger will beat out Ramsey or a healthy (or close to healthy) Pennington.

Bollinger became qb of the Jets last year by default...if the plan was to have him compete on the roster there would be no trade for Ramsey, knowing they would be drafting a QB in the first couple rounds...and then resign Pennington.

If they were blown away by Bollinger last year...all of the above would not have happened. Ramsey would never have entered the equation.

For a team with no QB's, the Jets are stacked.

As for me wanting it to happen, yes but not because I hate Bollinger. Unless he were to make the team as a 3rd string QB, having him on the roster higher than number 3 would mean season one is a washout in the QB department.

Now you have him higher...much higher than a number 3...so just come out with it and say hes the best QB on the roster.

11. jetsfan119

jetsfan119 New Member

after reading the first post i feel like an idiot for just reading it. RAMSEY AND PENNINGTON AT 3/4 ON THE DEPTH CHART! you're smoking crack or something thats just a crazy statement. flip the chart around and thats the depth chart, i think you just want to see peoples reaction

12. jaywayne12

Im just curious as to how all these posters think Chad Pennington will be on the IR.

How does this happen..he gets hurt in preseason and ends up there? He is never fully healed so the Jets place him there? Perhaps on the 60 day DL?

Where is this coming from.

13. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

With the renegiotation the Jets no longer are locked into Chad and can afford to put him on IR when he proves to be a liability during training camp.

14. jaywayne12

That part, I could understand....but if he proves to be a liability....hes gone no?

How long do you stick with a guy that cant play. I just dont get this theory about "waiting" Chad out. If he is a liability...I would think hes a goner. Placing a guy on IR would mean hes done for the season...again.

If Chads not ready this year come game 1 (either a starter or beaten out by Ramsey), Chad will never be ready again.

15. 20&out

20&out New Member

IMHO
    Ramsey and CHad will fight for the starting spot (assuming Chad's reasonably capable).
    Clemens will hopefully see some starts once we are eliminated from post-season(which I am unfortunatly presuming will be by Dec 1)
    While I think Bollinger performed courageously under the circumstances last year ( no line, no Rb) I think he will be cut unless both Chad and Ramsey look brutal in preseason.

16. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

You wait out Chad until it's absolutely clear he cannot play again. That won't be this summer, it'll be a year or two down the road.

In the interim you play Ramsey and you develop Clemens as the new QB. If "shit happens" (and that should be the motto of all Jet's fans) Chad is one of the options that might help us out. Giving that up without knowing that he's done would be a waste of resources. And right now the Jets can use all the resources they have.

17. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

This seems to me to be a reasonable scenario. The only question is whether Pennington will actually be ready on opening day; if he is, I don't see how Bollinger fits in, unless it's on the practice squad as Pennington insurance.

18. drnyjets

drnyjets New Member

Sorry but Bollinger won't even be on the team this year. He's not good enough to be a third string QB on half the teams in the NFL.

19. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

Penny won't be cut, too much of a cap hit, and he will likely be starting. If he is not able, like Vision stated, he will be on the DL. And Ramsey will start, this is why we traded for him. Also if he plays well, I look expect the FO to try to sign him to a 2 year extension, for backup purposes. Clemens will get play in the preseason and maybe garbage time, but will be 3rd and riding the pine. Brooks I think is the odd man out, if Penny is unable to play in the beginning, they probably will keep him around for a bit. I expect him to be gone before the end of the season. He will be picked up though. He was decent last year, and some team will grab him for a number 2 spot.

20. JETFIGHTERS

JETFIGHTERS Active Member

If you look at the history of Gibbs, he's never ever had a young starting QB, he like them old because he can't teach QBs period. So whatever Gibbs says aboutt young QBs doesn't stand up to the truth, Gibbs has no time to teach QB never has. Now if he tells you about OL or RB on his team then this has merit because he does know the line and RBs.