4th quarter Third and 3 call

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by AbdulSalam, Dec 20, 2010.

1. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I wrote the following last nite after the game, but didn't post it for a few reasons...mostly because I didn't want to be divisive after a big win. But it fits with the above, and it's something I think gets lost in the myriad mix of the other problems the Jets have.

After watching the clock mis-management, dumb play calling & stupid use of challenges today and throughout this season, I'm starting to wonder if the Jets are smart enough to win a Super Bowl. And by Jets, I mean the coaching staff.

Think about it...the lack of in-game adjustments, the stubborn insistence on ineffective blitzing and the fact that major problems are not addressed after thin wins. Schotty's shenanigans speak for themselves. Let's not even mention little Danny Woo...

To me, that points to a coaching staff that is either stubborn or stupid. Or both. Let's hope they don't get complacent (again) after today's great win.

They have to be smarter during the week and during the game. If they don't coach smart, it's gonna bite us in the ass before the season ends.

[​IMG]

2. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

that was my thought. I thought it was a great idea to have sanchez roll out, and if its there throw it complete the pass and run out the clock. If you have a lane, run it and pick up the first down. If nothing is there get as close as possible to the LOS while taking as much time as possible and take the sack.

The fact that the ball was thrown was a mistake by Sanchez, not with the playcalling. If shotty told mark to throw it all costs thats a coaching error, otherwise, Mark shouldn't have thrown the ball to a covered Keller.

3. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

Running was really the only sensible option.

I know Holmes was open but in that situation I think the chance of getting the first down was eqaully likely as the O line was getting a push, the field was getting slick and we were having some success on the ground.

Add in that it would have forced the last time out, because if they did not use it we could have run it all the way down to the 2 minute warning - It was a NO-BRAINER. Oh wait we have Schotty and the clock management guru Rex.

4. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

I saw the replay. Lawrence Timmons was in Sanchez's passing lane for him to throw left to Holmes on the play.

Just run the fucking thing and get them to burn a timeout.

5. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

I hate a of this MMQB stuff, if the play worked he's a genius.

We did look solid in the short passing game, Steelers did not have us figured out.

Questioning overall playcalling is one thing, scrutinizing every single call bit much for me. What if Shonn fumbled it, what if he ran into Pittsburgh's EZ?

I liked the call, it was aggressive and showed confidence in Mark. The Steelers had to be expecting run too, so why not.

6. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

If you pass in that situation it should be a play action, roll out pass and then work as you described. It should not be a shotgun pass like the one called.

I thought Schotty called a damn good game, but this was a critical error IMO.

7. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

Sorry but a call like that is not MMQBing - I bet you 80% of the knowledgable football fans collectively said WTF as soon as the play developed.

I agree you cannot question ALL of the individual plays of a game but this was not an ordinary play out of 70 in a game. This was crucial point of a game and is Football 101 - keep the clocking running and force the team that is behind to burn their TO's on D.

8. WhiteShoeWillis

I actually walked to the fridge to get a beer and turned my back to the TV assuming it would be a run that got stuffed. When I heard the announcer talking about pass I started screaming.

9. MadBacker Prime

Like I said in the post you quoted, I liked the aggressive call, if the pass were completed we'd never see this thread. (obviously)

EVERYONE was expecting run, so why not. In the end we have to trust our defense anyway.

10. WhiteShoeWillis

Which is why you put the QB under center and run a play action boot if you want to catch them off guard with a pass. The Steelers D probably would have looked silly selling out on the dive again as Sanchez booted for an easy running first down to end the game. Shotgun? wtf?

11. MadBacker Prime

Yeah that part I agree with, with the way he was throwing the short passes, right on target to open receivers I expected them to get the 1st.

I was shocked when they didn't. Maybe Sanchez changed the play, that could also be a possibility.

12. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

If everyone was expecting the run why was the receiver covered like a rug? I wasn't expecting a run. I think it would have been much smarter to run the ball there to get the 1st and force Pitts to burn the TO - but I wasn't expecting Schotty to do the smart thing. And he didn't.

13. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I was still livid after Cro cut off Crotch to field the free kick...then reverses and loses at least 7 yards.

Then a run by Greene, now it's 2nd & 8...Steelers are playing run all the way...now is the the time for a strike to Edwards who's lined up wide left w/man cover...go up by 12 pts. and the rest is academic.

Hey...I can dream, can't I?