49ers and Jets interested in Brian Hoyer.....please God no

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by STARoSCREAM, Mar 8, 2017.

1. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

It makes sense. Build out the rest of the team, then bring in Cousins next year. He knows the offense, it will be plug and play. Hoyer can stay on as the backup.

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Red, I respect you and your opinion, but I disagree. Petty has played and will play. There's no point in playing Hack until his fundamentals are fixed and he has his confidence back. If you play him before he's ready, you're almost guaranteeing that he'll fail, and you might as well just go ahead and cut him now.

PulseJet likes this.
  3. NCJetsfan

I don't think it's a given that they'll regress, but it's certainly logical to think that they will.

Gailey certainly did little to help Petty with an offense suited to his level of development and talents, or play calling last year when Petty started. It may be false hopes, but considering the coaches under whom Morton has worked, I can't help but think he'll do a better job of designing the offense to fit the talents and abilities of his QBs.

While Jeremy Bates hasn't worked as a QB coach in the last 4 years, he has a better resume than Kevin Patullo, and has had some success, so hopefully, Petty and Hack will not only not take a step backwards, I'm hoping that they'll take a giant step forward.

PulseJet likes this.
  4. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I'm not saying that they HAVE to start Hack, I do believe they should give him meaningful reps in TC, the days of holding clip boards for 3 years are gone, unless they are behind a FQB, heck CS and FO don't even last that long.

I had a similar conversation with Lenny one of our posters, John Elway went with Paxton Lynch and Trevor, no one can convince me that Paxton a rookie was ready to be a backup in the NFL after being selected 26th overall.

Even he had mechanics that needed fine tuning, but there he was, the backup for the Denver Broncos, Kubiak had to get these guys ready.

Elway did bring in Sanchez as was pointed out, but chose to save money and go with the youngsters, and they had no veteran QB to rely on.

With this new OC, I believe they can be allowed to be 1 and 2, especially if he is going to emphasize a balanced attack on offense and not ask the QB to throw 45 times a game like Gailey did.

It's just my opinion NC, it's not law, but the onus is on TB to give these guys some serious reps and get them ready, between the work Hack and Petty put in and the CS tutelage something's gotta happen.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  5. NCJetsfan

Hopefully, Hack will have made a lot of progress on his fundamentals, and will be ready to take some serious practice reps. I'm sure he'll get some anyway. I trust that Mac will do what he thinks is best both for Hack and the Jets, and I don't think that those two things are mutually exclusive.

TonyFtLaud and Red Menace like this.
  6. NCJetsfan

You seem to have forgotten that the Jets' org chart is effed up. Bowles doesn't report to Mac. He reports to Woody. Mac had no say so on the CS. That was all Bowles.

We may have a different perspective on what a GM's plan involves or entails.

In my perspective, when the GM gets to hire the HC and the HC reports to him, then the GM's plan can involve systems (but not necessarily, it depends upon the organizational structure) and the HC, but the HC almost always still gets to pick his CS and often his systems. In the Jets' situation, Mac didn't get to hire Bowles and Bowles doesn't report to him, so Mac has little or no control over Bowles, and had no control over what systems Bowles and his coaches chose.

IMO a GM's plan is determining what the team's needs are, then taking into consideration the salary cap, and working in conjunction with the HC, deciding which players are keepers and which ones aren't, and then identifying possible replacements and players to fix those needs/holes and a timetable for turning things around. If the HC doesn't do a good job coaching the team and preparing them to play, or his position coaches don't do a good job, that doesn't mean the GM's plan was flawed or he had no plan, just that the plan is going to have to be tweaked. When the GM has authority over the HC, he can make some changes himself, but in the Jets' screwy setup, there's not much he can do.

Woody wanted a competitive team. Bowles did as well, and maybe Mac as well, we don't know. Regardless, right or wrong (wrong, I think) the decision was made to try a competitive rebuild, to try to fill holes and build for the future while trying to be as competitive in the present as they could. Fitz fit into that plan because he knew Gailey's system and the Jets needed a veteran QB. He signed a bunch of older expensive FAs because they had to spend a ton of money in FA, the secondary had been awful the previous year, Woody wanted to win, and they thought those veterans could help them win and mentor some of the younger players. That plan worked in 2015, it didn't last year when they had some serious injury issues, Fitz reverted to form, and the older players showed their age. Petty wasn't ready to play in 2015. They could have started him earlier last year, but again, that was solely Bowles decision, not Mac's.

They did not "coddle" Hack. That's absurd. You're the one being ridiculous and nonsensical. Being impatient accomplishes nothing. It only leads to panic and desperation-based moves, which usually mean even bigger mistakes and delays.

You're obviously irate and being irrational. You're frustrated, I get it. So am I, but making rash decisions isn't going to help. I think it best that we not discuss this any further at this time until you calm down. I hope that you'll want to discuss it calmly when you've settled down. If not, that's ok too. I like you and respect you. I just think you're letting your frustrations getting the better of your judgment on this.

#66 NCJetsfan, Mar 8, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
  7. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

I don't think the 49s signed Hoyer to be their starter. He is a backup , and insurance policy if things go bad in the Cousins deal

8. RedRoute1

RedRoute1 Guest

Hoyer was the guy I was actually hoping they'd sign, as he'd be cheap, serviceable, and if things broke right could keep you competitive. Actually, last off season Hoyer was the guy i was hoping they were going to target once Fitz started to hold out...Although Fitz had a great 2015-16, I think we all knew he wouldn't be as good in 16-17, and yet honestly i didn't anticipate that type of a drop off...But all along I thought Hoyer and Fitz were interchangeable (and still do)...and to that end it was passing on Hoyer while allowing a mediocre player (Fitz) to hold the team hostage then overpay for him that was the huge mistake last off season...

All that said, this year's team is not going to be a playoff team much less a super bowl caliber team and think we all realize that...In reality our best hope is either that we'll be competitive (6-8 wins) or that we'll be so bad that we're in the running for the #1 pick. It doesn't appear that Mac and company is in tanking mode so Hoyer was the perfect option, cheap, serviceable, possibly competitive, and no long term commitment.

9. STARoSCREAM

STARoSCREAM Well-Known Member

I agree with this point int particular, look at Washington's situation. They have only seen 2 good years from cousins and cannot commit big time money to him bc they dont trust him.

If the rookie QB sits 2-3 years, are you going to want to pay him FQB dollars without a consistent resume?

They need to start early to prove they are the FQB they all claim to be pre-draft. If not, draft another and move on.

10. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

Is there any hope that TB knew we would have a new OC this year so he true red shirted Hack just so he didn't get confused with a system he didn't have to know in order to work solely on mechanics? Is it possible that Hack made great strides and the FO sees him as the FQB? This seems to be one option that I haven't seen kicked around in here, nobody really knows anything that's gone on behind the scenes. Why has everyone written off our 2nd round prospect from last season? Because of an article from that hack Mehta?
    Last year we all praised the FO because of how they keep everything quiet so is it not possible this was the plan all along and our FQB isn't in next year's or this years draft and is in fact on our roster already?

11. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Hack should see plenty of reps with Petty rehabbing come mini camp and the start of camp. That should allow Morton and Bates to get a good grasp of where he is at. Even if they bring in a cheap veteran option.

12. When has TB ever showed even the slightest glimmer of foresight? It appears he was the one who pounded the table for Fitzpatrick's return & still believes as foolish as it really is..that he can win disregarding the offense & concentrating solely on his precious defense...which sucks almost as bad as the O!

13. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

I don't think it's TB. I think Hack is Macc's boy and he is banking his future on it by grabbing him in the second. Macc was an NFL scout you know, something none of us are.