3rd and 1 at the 2 Yard Line

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by RIPJimLeonhard, Oct 21, 2012.

1. CowboysFan

CowboysFan Banned

and ranked #1 per attempt in red zone in the NFL in 2011 but its not really about Tebow.

Green could have carried it in as well as he is 7 for 7 in 3rd and 1s.

To call a pass in that situation with two cracks at it at point blank range was asinine. I really feel that if you could point your finger at just one thing this has to be it.

#41 CowboysFan, Oct 21, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2012
  2. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Don't see how anyone could disagree with this. There were a bunch of bad play calls in this game, but this one was absolutely inexcusable. How many failed quick slants on 3rd and short does it take before they stop calling them?

3. deathstar

deathstar Well-Known Member

That's Morono for yea...

I've been patiently away for a Morono sucks thread since this dumb hire was announced.

4. Jrsy2FLA

Jrsy2FLA Banned

Why would we bring a guy in to manage the O when he sucked at it with his last team? When we get into red zone or short yardage Morano goes Full Retard!

5. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

especially when Shone Greene is 7 for 7!!! on 3rd and 1 this season makes it mind boggiling, he has never missed a first down in that scenario this year and we throw a slant????!!!!to Shielnz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! no no nnnnnnnoooooooooooooooo it's been hours and im still boiling over that play

#45 LongIslandBlitz, Oct 21, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2012
  6. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

When he came into the league I figured denver would use him as a red zone/goalline QB. The Jets really are wasting him.

7. catsigater

catsigater New Member

Funny, 'cos I'm pretty sure Tebow's scored from formations like that on numerous occasions.

8. CervezaVerde

CervezaVerde Member

And the relevance here is...

9. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

He has and would have been a better option rather then throwing it

10. TheBlairThomasFumble

TheBlairThomasFumble Active Member

I just don't understand the thought process that allowed Sparano NOT to use Tebow on those two downs. If not then, when does he use him to make an impact play?

11. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

Can someone post the Cimini questions to Rex -- he blistered him about the call in the press conference.

12. CowboysFan

CowboysFan Banned

You saw it on tv? I looked for it on the web but just found a small highlight reel. Can you tell us what was said more or less?

Rex runs Green twice (or Tebow, Hilliard , McKnight, Grimes...take your pick ) Jets probably win.

13. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

Cannot be explained or justified. Complete idiocy. He uses him on 1st down from our own 20, but not at the goal line?? Insanity.

14. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

jftr, to all Tebowites.
    The responses in here prove that we don't hate the guy.
    There are just times where you use him and this was one of the times....

This is just one of those stupid decisions that you are speechless about.

15. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

Let's check ESPN-1050 tomorrow....basically, he asked 2-3 times about the playcalling....the SNY guys said he was persistent and I believe they said Rex was a bit defensive.

I think a 'ground and pound' coach whose team is running the ball SHOULD have a problem with slant call at the 3 yard line with a guy who was your 5th WR in training camp.

16. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

What it's beginning to look like is Rex/Sparano not using Tebow specifically to send a message to somebody. There's no argument for having Tebow on the team and using him the way he's being used.

Sanchez hasn't gotten hurt badly enough to miss more than a game in his entire career. For all the big hits he takes he just doesn't go out that often. So Tebow as a backup is minimal value, even assuming that he'd be capable of coming in and running the Jets normal offense well if Sanchez went down, which is highly doubtful.

Tebow as a threat in short yardage and goal-line situations is undeniable however he isn't used much in this way either. That's understandable to an extent, the Jets do perform ok in red zone and short yardage situations anyway and were among the best in the league in the red zone last year.

So basically he's really only being used on special teams and for a couple of snaps a game outside of that.

The question is: who are Rex and Sparano sending a message to?

17. Barcs

Barcs Banned

I think if Greene ran in on that 3rd and 1 it would have been a TD, or at the very least a 1st and goal from the 1. I was puzzled by that call.

18. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

its so inexcusable on so many levels:

1) why wouldnt you run there, given you have run all over them for short yardage and just ran to get down their all series

2) Tebow and green have both been perfect in short yardage

3) if you are going to pass, why are you throwing out of shotgun and telling the entire world "we are gonna pass it!" instead of going play action, where the defense probably not only respects the run but sells out against it

4) if you are passing, why is it designed to schilens, who is among the worst sets of hands on the team.

5) if you are passing, why are you throwing the short quick slant to the left, our least successful play, and something sanchez has struggled with for years, not to mention a pass that has often been tipped on us.

6) after you fail on 3rd down, why arent you going for it on 4th down, given all the reasons listed above in numbers 1 and 2?

the jets coming back and taking it to OT REALLY let the coaching staff off the hook a bit with that call. it really shows an ineptitide in coaching, strategy, and knowing the situation

19. dreamsfloatjoe

dreamsfloatjoe New Member

Rex = NATO (No Action! Talk Only!) when it comes to Tebow.

From what I have read online this morning, just about the entire world was waiting for a run play. :rofl: Nope. :eek:hmy: