2024 QB Class

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Brook!, Sep 14, 2023.

1. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Burrow is in Cincy now, not much of a concern. He can't scramble like Lamar, but I see him being a bigger version of Kyler Murray - if you take advantage of his skill-sets and allow him to grow he will be dangerous in this league as a dual threat. The kid can def throw some lasers out there - he's not a bad thrower of the football - I would say he's equally a good runner and passer.

2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

He’s from Southern California. He’s never been in a poor climate area in his entire life. Burrow is from Iowa and grew up in Ohio. He played and practiced the majority of his career in Ohio at Ohio State.

It is much different. And he is nowhere near as quick as Kyler or Lamar around would be tacklers which is the point I was making. Once he breaks the pocket, he’s as fast or elusive when he approaches a guy with 2-3 yards to go. In close quarters (i.e. the pocket or escaping the pocket), he’s not close to what Kyler or Lamar were in college.

3. 101GangGreen101

I think you are putting too much stock into that. College level, still much more competition vs HS. If we want to play this game, Lamar Jackson grew up in FL, played in Louisville and is now in Baltimore. The cold weather thing is kind of overrated, but Daniels considering he's dual threat fits fine.

He's become an exceptionally good passer, he's tall, he's really fast, he's elusive. He plays just like Murray, but bigger. To say he's "not close" is far from the truth. I think once the draft process plays out, his stock will increase.

4. Jonathan_Vilma

Louisville is pretty close to Baltimore in terms of weather so that doesn’t make much sense.

I don’t think it’s overrated at all in the short term. In the long term, guys adjust, but I think the first cold weather games for Daniels will be rough. He’s virtually never played in any. And his arm is much closer to Kyler than it is Lamar. Enough for the NFL but by no means very strong by NFL standards.

5. 101GangGreen101

How many cold weather games did you see Lamar actually play in? As far as I am concerned, this is an overrated portion of evaluating Daniels as a prospect.

6. Jonathan_Vilma

I’m not sure what Lamar has anything to do with it especially considering he played at a significantly colder weather college than Daniels.

Not all running quarterbacks are the same either. They’re vastly different prospects as far as I’m concerned.

7. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

@Jonathan_Vilma I remember you were kind of high on this guy at the start of the college football season, but he just declared for the draft. Cam Ward.

8. Jonathan_Vilma

I was. I like his skillset but he needs another year of college football and I think he’s making a mistake declaring. He ran the triple option in high school and barely threw the ball which is why he was so lowly recruited and went to Incarnate Word. Two years at Washington State with a young coordinator finding his way.

One more year at OSU, LSU, Tennessee or something of the like would’ve done him wonders. I get not wanting to pass up even a second or third round contract though.

9. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

I was happy to see Cam Ward originally say he was going to stay in school for another year. He was going to be on my 2025 Draft wishlist.
    Not happy that he's declaring now. IMO we'd have to trade down from 8 or wherever we end up after next week to accumulate more extra picks to consider him w/a 2nd rounder.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  10. Jonathan_Vilma

dawinner127 and BrowningNagle like this.
  11. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

12. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Did you guys see the clip of Michael Irvin comparing Penix to Michael Vick?

The only similarities they have in their games are that they are both black and lefty throwers. Penix has 13 rushing yards on the year lmao. Insane that some of these people get paid to give their takes on this stuff.

13. Jonathan_Vilma

His throwing motion is pretty much the same but all lefties have the same throwing motion which is utterly bizarre. I played football with a leftie and he threw the same way as Vick, Penix, Tebow, etc.

14. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I like Penix a lot. He has put up big numbers in the playoffs and is the reason U. Wash. is playing for the title. I saw pieces of his last two games and he definitely has the ability to make plays with his feet when needed. Arm strength looks good and accuracy is good. He is an exciting player to watch. Even though his ranking among QBs is barely top 5, I think he should be at the top. He quite possibly could be available when the Jets pick. I think the Jets need a QB more than than they need OL. The smartest thing the Jets could do right now is sever ties with Rodgers and start over at QB. But these are the Jets so we know that ain't happenin'.

15. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

I need to see Penix perform under pressure, something he hasn't seen a lot of this year. Hopefully the Michigan matchup shows us something one way or the other.

There's also the injury history; torn right ACL in 2018, a dislocated SC joint in his non-throwing shoulder in 2019, another torn right ACL in 2020, and an AC separation in his throwing shoulder in 2021. He's a walking injury report.

16. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

The opportunities here are endless.

17. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Can someone please tell me why almost everyone (at least in the media) has Drake Maye over Jayden Daniels?

18. Jonathan_Vilma

Maye lit college football up a year. Then they decided to strip him of his passing friendly offensive coordinator for a conservative play caller. If Maye had Phil Longo (see coordinator who beat LSU in their bowl game) I think he would’ve had a closer competition for Caleb for top QB in the class.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  19. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Daniels just completed over 70% of his passes for over 11 yards per attempt and rushed for over 1000 yards for over 8 yards per attempt. He did it in the SEC and won the Heisman. That's lighting up college football. Maye's 2022 was very good, but his numbers were nothing compared to Daniels, and he wasn't even a Heisman finalist.

20. Jonathan_Vilma

It’s a lot more important to watch tape and watch who they did it against in college than in the pro’s.