2024 NFL Free Agency News and Rumors

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Mar 8, 2024.

1. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

I think they will trade back from 5 and still get Bowers… It looks like JH is cleaning house to build his own team around Herbert.

BrowningNagle and abyzmul like this.
  2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

He's just not good at making relationships with player's agents I think. They either use him or forget about him

3. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I think it's way more football-based than that. Like I said he thinks he's the smartest guy in the room. I don't need to spend money on the great thing, I can buy the shitty thing and make it great because I'm awesome!

4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

could be but then how do you explain the moves he's made where he overspends? Laken Tomlinson gets a massive contract. Nobody was gonna give him that kind of money... or how he gets used by agents every offseason. Tyreek Hill wants dolphins but wants a huge contract so they loop in and play the Jets... etc.

its a small community of agents, they all talk and collaborate, and I think they all know what they got with Joe Douglas

5. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I’m not bummed at not signing Hollywood Brown…he’s a fast guy who hasn’t really played up to his potential I think…but we’ll see what happens with him on KC…

6. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

he's also a tiny receiver. We need a big guy who compliments GW. Sutton would have been perfect

Nyjets4eva likes this.
  7. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Raiders are about to prove why Gardner Minshew is the best backup in the league.

8. onefanjet

onefanjet Well-Known Member

IDFjet likes this.
  9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I sure hope that you're right, as I've seen several people posit that they are likely to take an OT because Harbaugh always focuses on getting a strong OL. Still, it's almost a given that the Titans will take an OT. The Cardinals and Giants both could, and Washington could as well.

10. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Not a FA signing but an interesting draft trade. The Texans traded pick 23 to the Vikings for their 2nd (42), 5th (188), and next years 2nd. The vikings pick right after us and now they have more ammo to trade. Could be a trade up for a QB?

11. Kronoking

Kronoking Well-Known Member

He'll more of less be Juju v2 there imo

12. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

This sure smells like they are building up info to jump up in the draft…and likely for a QB now that they lost Cousins. If that helps an OT drop to us that’s great news

ouchy likes this.
  13. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Well-Known Member

Believe me, I’m not a Douglas defender, in fact I was the first to call out his moves years ago on here and if you read my posts you know I think he’s incompetent. That said, I think you are making a few errors/assumptions here. I don’t think he has a philosophy of not needing an upgrade there. I would guess he probably thinks it’s a problem area like you do, but, the players you mentioned (Samuel, Hollywood) are not going to the jets when options like KC and buffalo are available. I don’t think Douglas is sitting on his hands, I think he’s not (or can’t) offer significantly more to get players here. Keep in mind it has to be significant. If Joe offers 10mil to Hollywood (or even more) it’s still smarter for Hollywood to get 7 from KC, where you are playing with the best qb in the league and have a chance to put up stats and then negotiate next year after a productive season. They also don’t have any receivers, so you could play your way to the 1 spot. It’s also a winning organization. You’re taking less money for all of the above over almost anything the jets can offer. A better criticism of Joe would be to argue why he has the jets in that position in the first place. But I don’t think he’s not trying

Nyjets4eva, azhar80 and KY Jets Fan like this.
  14. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I would hope those discussions were had earlier in the offseason but would only be executed if X,Y,Z happened. I might be giving JD and the FO too much credit there but that seems like something a good GM would do.

All they really "had" to do was be under the cap by the start of the new league year so there wasn't really a need to create an excess of cap space unless a situation presented itself that they thought would be worth it.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  15. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

not sure if you got this by now, Tyron Smith doesnt fit their bargain shop list. JD is only looking for "value". what a joke

16. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

I've been reading/listening to a number of stories that are having them jump up as many as 4 or 5 spots if they see one of the QB's they want. The question is, are 2 1st rounders enough to go that far without having to package anything further. Follow that up with who would be in that realm. Obviously the top 3 remain the same but there's been speculation on who Minny might want, however, most reports are pointing to McCarthy. Who, above us, could be interested in J.J, if any? Slots 4, 6, 7, 8 & 9 are potential landing spots for them. The wild cards are Arizona & Atlanta. Do either team draft a QB that high considering what they have. Before Atlanta picked up Kirk C., there were rumblings that they would be interested in J.J. McCarthy. They could STILL get him and send him to the pine for 2 years to learn under Cousins (the SMART thing to do). Same with Arizona. When was the last time Murray started/finished a season? I like what it does to the possibility of the Jets landing one of the top tier O-Linemen.

NCJetsfan and ouchy like this.
  17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Yes, one would hope that the discussions would have happened earlier, but I have found it increasingly difficult to think of JD and the FO doing anything a good GM or team would do.

They knew that they needed to add at least 2, if not 3 OL in FA, a backup QB, DT help, a safety or two, possibly a backup RB, and hopefully a WR. So it doesn't matter than they only needed to be under the cap. I would think that a good GM would go ahead and have the moves made to free up the cap space so he knew exactly how much money he had to work with in FA. After all, he knows about how much he wants to save to use during the season, and he knows about how much he will need to sign the draft picks. By waiting, he could miss out on FAs, as another team might swoop in with an offer while JD was trying to get the paperwork done (that is if he had already had the conversations and gotten the players' agreements, and we have no way of knowing if he indeed did that).

18. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

The trade in terms of points puts them right in between 3 and 4. Not enough for 3 and to many for 4. Could they add their 2025 1st and get New englands 2 back in 2025 to get to 3? Probably.

They wouldn’t have made that trade without talking to the Pats or cardinals and i cannot imagine Arizona trading out from MHJR even though I think having two cracks at it with Brian Thomas Jr at 11 and someone like AD Mitchell at 21/23 would be worth it. Arizona also has a million picks so they really control the draft IMO

ouchy likes this.
  19. Kronoking

Kronoking Well-Known Member

You think Tyron Smith is getting paid more then Keenan is due in 2024?

dawinner127 likes this.
  20. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

At this point I would move heaven and earth to bring in Tyron Smith and then pray one of the top 3 WRs falls to 10.

James Hasty likes this.