2024 NFL Free Agency News and Rumors

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Mar 8, 2024.

1. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Conspiracy theory time, which is appropriate given the current state of our circus:

Joe Douglas knows Rodgers is out and he’s actively trying to get fired. There’s no other reason for making a small upgrade on the OL, losing an elite pass rusher and overpaying DT’s when your owner says be aggressive. Tyrod was a priority signing. Scouts at Bo Nix’s pro day…

2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Either that or nobody wants to play for this dumpster fire.

NY Jets68, Brook!, stinkyB and 2 others like this.
  3. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

The fact that you are still on this is insane. He's just not good at playing quarterback at this level and he never will be. The jets did not fail him. If you have to be surrounded by a perfect situation to succeed, you're just not the guy and Zach was most definitely not the guy here and won't be the guy anywhere, ever. It took him 2+ years to stop throwing swing passes and screens in the dirt. There has never and will never be a good NFL quarterback that had the same struggles he has had.

It was an awful pick at #2 overall that fooled the inept jets scouting staff with a strong arm in work out clothes. They legitimately would have been better off being late getting their pick in and missing out on #2 overall than they were making the pick and choosing Zach Wilson. That's how bad he is.

#343 Jets-N-Terps, Mar 13, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2024
    SackRecord99 and tomdeb like this.
  4. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

brian costello loving life right now with the i told you so

5. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

I'm curious how this regime feels about Carter Warren. Wonder if they are valuing him more than we are and may be counting on him as a swing tackle or something

There are still a bunch of starting caliber OTs out there as the market has been a trickle.

6. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

I really have the impression that Douglas needs a lot of convincing that his draft picks and signings are bad before he moves on--not a good approach. He will hang onto guys like Warren, Lazard, etc. as long as he can.
    They should have moved on from Tomlinson after year 1 but didn't. And they gave Zach Wilson three years to lose games for us. A smart organization like the 49ers moved on from Lance quickly after they realized their draft error error.
    Douglas is either too vain or too unwise to do the same.

Jets-N-Terps and James Hasty like this.
  7. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

He also has conviction on his decisions, that’s not a bad thing.

8. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

It is when those decisions are mostly wrong and set the franchise back terribly. Admitting fault is also not a bad thing. I don't think JD has learned this part yet.

tomdeb and BacktoQueens like this.
  9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

C'mon Tom, talk about cherry picking facts to fit your narrative.

First, Browning Nagle was worse than Zach, even comparing Zach's worst year against Nagle's only year of starting. Second, Nagle was shipped out - as many non-FQBs are - when the Jets changes HCs from Coslet to Carroll so it wasn't necessarily due to his poor performance in one season by itself. Zach was supposedly the team's consensus pick at #2. You don't give up on that unless you have a better replacement in hand, which the Jets didn't. Is that Zach's fault?

Was he a "terrible pick at #2"? Well for a franchise that has never actually developed a QB, and in hindsight, yes. But the Jets needed a QB after ruining Sam and shipping him, and the best way to insure having a good, long term solution at the most important position on the team is to draft and develop your own. Since we had never seen what Saleh - a defensive-minded, rookie HC and LaFleur, a rookie OC - could do with a young QB, we had some reason to hope this time would be different, but of course it wasn't. Zach needed seasoning. He should've sat behind a good vet QB for a year at least - hell, Rodgers sat for 3 years - but the Jets tossed him right into the deep end. Whose fault is that? Zach's? Was he supposed to say "No, I'm not ready?" Of course not. And let's not forget the terrible shape of the OL even then, and that the starting 5 didn't even play one snap together before the season started. Or the lack of reliable weapons he had. Were these things Zach's fault? And then there's the admission - as he left the building - by LaFleur that they screwed Zach's development up, among other things forcing him to learn a system that wasn't conducive to his strengths. I mean if you are going to play a rookie QB right out of the gate, doesn't it make sense to give him a system similar to what he played in college, and then introduce a more complex/different system over time? Not the "genius" Jets! And Zach had ZERO say in all of this.

And how often are you and others going to beat a 21 year old kid up for a poor answer to a "gotcha" question tossed at him right after a brutal loss? Yes, it was a bad answer, but he subsequently apologized to his team for it, and he never had another moment like that again. And he went out of his way to praise his teammates and take the blame for his later failures. Did you ever make a mistake and have it branded you forever? I shouldn't even have to answer a criticism like this.

And no one has ever said Zach bears no responsibility for his failures. NO ONE. But if you can't see that the Jets organization bears the bulk of the blame IDK what else to say. The amount of hate directed at Wilson for what is clearly a total organizational failure is mind boggling. Who knows if he had been drafted by a team like Andy Reid's Chiefs if he wouldn't have come a lot closer to reaching his potential? IMO he definitely would have, but it's a moot point, he wasn't and didn't, and we have to move on. But the REAL problem with Zach Wilson's failure as a Jet is still left behind, and anyone who thinks that drafting another young QB - I don't care how highly rated they are - and succeeding with him are delusional.

If people want to call me a "fanboy" or an apologist for Zach, I don't care, but what I really am is a critic of the Jets handling of QBs for decades, and I'm disgusted with that failure.

Kronoking and NCJetsfan like this.
  10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I can only hope that the contracts the OTs are wanting are astronomical and all the teams have said "screw that" and are waiting for the OTs' agents to lower their prices to a reasonable range.

11. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

It pains me to think of how many games Ken O'Brien had to ride the bench every time out stupid coaches put Nagle on the field.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  12. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

He was injured at the start of the season.

A full training camp would do him some good.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Great post! Absolutely spot on!

14. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

is this even a free agency thread?

15. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

While I agree to an extent, contracts like Tomlison and Lazard can't just be cut after one year. I mean, they CAN, but not without suffering severe cap damage. The majority of the contracts he writes have an out after year 2.

tomdeb and All Gas No Shake like this.
  16. JetFanInPA

I wonder if his OT plan is Bhaktiari at LT with Carter Warren the potential heir and then draft an RT. Just speculating. Still plenty of tackles out there, but seeing how much money Kinlaw got honestly took me by surprise and makes me wonder about their cap flexibility. I was thinking it was more like 2-3mil. That said too, there are surely ways to create more cap space

NCJetsfan likes this.
  17. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

I would like Bakh if we get Tyron Smith. They are both injured so often we could just swap em out when healthy lol. That would sure up LT with Warren as a swing tackle and Fuaga at RT. Smith, AVT, Tippman, Zeitler, Fuaga now that is a nasty OL with Bakh and Warren as backups, sign me up.

Jets OG fan likes this.
  18. JetFanInPA

We got Zach rolled

19. abyzmul

I don't see Bakhtiari backing anyone up at LT. If they get Tyron Smith and Bakhtiari (not happening IMO) they would be LT and RT, and in that instance I really doubt they go tackle at 10.

I don't see Tyron Smith going to a team like the Jets to play RT.

20. abyzmul

So the FA player count right now, what do we have? 3 offensive players (including Yeboah) and 4 defensive players (including 2 DL)

Am I right?