2023 NFL Draft - 1st Round Discussion

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Brook!, Apr 27, 2023.

1. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

What a fantastic feeling waking up on draft day and barely giving a shit. I’m obviously watching every damn pick over the next three days but what a sense of relief knowing that I don’t have to sweat bullets praying Player X is still on the board then sweating more bullets when Team Y trades up ahead of us.

Take the best players available with a focus on the OL/DL and LB. Simple as that. Enjoy it fellas and gals.

2. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Would be a great draft for the Jets if it falls this way, which means it definitely won't.

Picks below if you don't want to read the article.

15) Paris Johnson, OT Ohio State
    43) Keeanu Benton, IDL Wisconsin
    112) Ivan Pace Jr., LB Cincinnati
    143) Juice Scruggs, C Penn State
    170) Dorian Thompson-Robinson, QB UCLA

3. BroadwayAaron

Would love to take a shot on DTR that late but that would be fascinating for this year‘s quarterback room. You’d have to carry four quarterbacks or cut Zach Wilson which is unlikely, or you cut Tim Boyle which means your only two back ups are Zach Wilson and a rookie that shouldn’t see the field at all this year.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  4. RevisIsland18

RevisIsland18 Well-Known Member

they better go ol, have 1k on jets picking ol first round...

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  5. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

You woke up a year into the future. Next year when we don't have a 1st round pick and GB is picking at #32 instead we won't give a shit. But today we have a first round pick and we need major help, and we'd better hope someone good slides to us in round 1, like a great OT prospect.

6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I want a stud OT with the first pick. After that I'm just hoping for starters/contributors to add depth to the OL, fix the run "D", add weapons, upgrade Safety and LB. Not all of that can or will be done, but that's my loose "shopping list".

EDIT:

I decided to play a round of a draft simulator just to try and put some specifics onto this. This is what I got:

Here's my one and only attempt at a simulator this year. I kept it simple - no trades.

1. Peter Skoronski - OT
    2. O'Cyrus Torrence - OG
    3. Zacch Pickens - DT
    4. SirVocea Dennis - LB
    5. Dorian Thompson-Robinson - QB.

I really like Skoronski's potential versatility, especially with all the question marks on the Jets OL. One way or the other he'll make a big contribution this year.

Taking Torrence with the second pick is just making sure we have no excuses this year for having at least an above average, if not very good, OL, no matter what happens.

I think Pickens is underrated and can be a force in both pass rushing and run "D" which we can't have enough of.

Dennis is also very underrated, and while he might well turn out be a very good LB, he might even be used as a S.

DTR is just a hunch and hedging of bets if Zach actually fails to turn things around. At this point in the draft, I couldn't pass him up.

#26 ColoradoContrails, Apr 27, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2023
    Borat likes this.
  7. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

My gut tells me that in JD's ranking, he probably has 2-3 OT worth taking with the15th pick with Jones the third option. There are at least 2 Edge and yes 2 DI that can be there for us. Top TE or WR might be in the sweet spot. As much as this board would hate it, do not under estimate picking the Safety (Branch) with the pick.
    If we assume that 3-4 QBs go before the 15th pick that means we might have 11 players or so targeted over ten slots. Considering at least one CB or two will go early we have some decent options for us. I also think that the run for T will not be as aggressive as we think. and one of the three will be there. Analysis seems to indicate that depending on your offensive scheme not all three T would be best fit for you.
    My guess is at this point, depending how the first 8 or so picks go, the most likely scenario is for JD to trade down and get back another second pick.
    I'm betting when this draft is done we walk away with a C, DE, S, TE, Developmental T/G

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  8. FinnishJET

FinnishJET 2023 TGG Double FF Champion

If top OL are gone, would be happy with Van Ness or Smit-Njigba.

I really like the look of Van Ness, wouldn't be disappointed with him even ahead of OL.

9. BroadwayAaron

Eh I think major help is an oversell. We need a lineman because we don’t know if our tackles can stay healthy. We have three of them in Becton, Mitchell and Brown. To me no rookie is going to beat out any of them on either side of the line. If you can land a starter, great, but it’s not life or death the way most Jets drafts usually are. Long story short, I don’t care who comes off the board before we pick for once.

LAJet likes this.
  10. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

For me...

At 15: My top 3

JSN WR OSU
    Paris Johnson Jr OT OSU
    Broderick Jones OT Georgia

Trade down: Top 3 (I would prefer this route, get our 3rd back at least)

Jordan Addison WR USC
    DaWand Jones OT OSU
    O'Cyrus Torrence G Florida

LAJet and KY Jets Fan like this.
  11. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Wait, the draft is this week? I don't even notice the dates anymore. Fucking Covid lockdown destroyed my ability to track the passage of time. Next week will be HOF weekend.

westiedog1 likes this.
  12. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

May I remind you what happened with all 3 of these guys last year? Becton hasn't played in two years. Brown got hurt preseason and absolutely stunk when he did play. Mitchell along with Brown are some of the lowest rated tackles in NFL. Not just starters, tackles. And Mitchell was hurt multiple times too, including season ending blood clot issue. The only good tackle we had was AVT, and he is a guard, and got hurt too for most of the season. So, Tackle is an enormous need. And we need someone who can play right away. We need to get a blue chip guy at 15. And yes I will be watching the draft and sweating for Paris, Sko, maybe Jones to drop. And probably pulling out hair if one of them goes #13 or 14.

13. BroadwayAaron

I think you just said what I said. Injury/health issues. We had tremendously bad injury luck. We need a tackle. We aren’t fucked without one at 15. I’ll be watching quite relaxed, drink in hand. Eh probably food in hand.

#33 BroadwayAaron, Apr 27, 2023
  14. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

DTR has become my favorite target for our final pick.

I know we all have our opinions on Zach but is Tim Boyle is THAT much of an upgrade over him? I don't think so.

As of right now, if something serious happens to AR this season, we're toast anyway. I'd rather have ZW and DTR as the back-ups so they can learn from AR as much as possible and then have the best one step up if need be.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  15. JetFanInNE

JetFanInNE Well-Known Member

I admit I don’t watch college football and don’t really know the nuances of what makes one player better than another. That said, my preferences for round 1 are

1) Pray one of the 3 OL I keep seeing mentioned slip to 15
    2) Trade back, try and recoup a 3rd rounder
    3) LB
    4) Safety
    5) WR (I don’t feel like there’s any chance JSN makes it past GB or NE)

16. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

How can you not wanna olineman named Juice Scruggs?

That's my guy based on his name alone.

Pepsiguy5 and KY Jets Fan like this.
  17. Mexican Buc

Mexican Buc Well-Known Member

Blue Chip Tier:
    Bryce Young
    Jalen Carter
    Brian Branch
    Bijan Robinson
    Broderick Jones
    Paris Johnson Jr
    Devon Witherspoon

Great Tier:
    Will Anderson
    CJ Stroud
    Christian Gonzalez
    Jaxon Smith-Njigba
    Darnell Wright
    Nolan Smith
    Will McDonald
    Calijah Kancey

Good Tier:
    Anthony Richardson
    Will Levis
    Peter Skoronski
    Tyree Wilson
    Lukas Van Ness
    Myles Murphy
    Bryan Bresee
    BJ Ojulari
    Anton Harrison

Brook! and BrowningNagle like this.
  18. BroadwayAaron

See this is where I think Joe Douglas messed up. The Tim Boyle signing was abysmal. I know that he can run the system worst case scenario but he’s terrible. We didn’t have to be in the scenario where if Rodgers goes down we are fucked. Our team is too good and our window is too small to not ensure ourselves against an Aaron Rodgers injury. I know it’s a longshot but I’m hoping we end up with a competent back up by the time camp rolls around and we just move on from Boyle.

The big issue was really Zach Wilson. They can’t get rid of him because of the money so they have to pray he can learn from an actual starting quarterback and turn it around. So no matter what he has to be on the roster. That makes it really hard to draft a quarterback because it means you are carrying four quarterbacks or you are relying on Zach Wilson to play if Aaron Rodgers goes down.

19. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

We are all very aware of the freakish set of injuries to the OL and the need to continue to beef it up. No one is more aware than JD and RS. While JD has said repeatedly that OL and DL will always be a priority, he is not and will not over reach for a T with the first pick. As it is two of the top T have some short comings against either the pass or against the run. So if they are gone with the 15th pick, we need to move elsewhere. However, I think the run on T will be less aggressive up front than people think. We shall see. The only thing I know for sure is that need or not, if he doesn't see the right value for the premium pick, he will go elsewhere.

#39 LAJet, Apr 27, 2023
  20. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Yes, the injuries were bad, but Mitchell and Brown sucked when they played too, and AVT is a guard, and should play there. Becton - at this point it will be a big surprise if he is not injured. So, the the question is what good players do we even have right now at Tackle? The answer is no one. Which is why I envy you BrodawayAaron for being quite relaxed, because we suck right now at a key position that protects soon to be 40 year old Broadway Aaron. And yes I will probably be screaming at the TV and cursing if one of top 3 goes off the board right before our pick.