2022 - Week 1: New York Jets vs Baltimore Ravens

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Aug 28, 2022.

?

Who will win?

Poll closed Sep 11, 2022.
  1. Jets

35.0%
  2. Ravens

65.0%
  1. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Horrendous matchup for the Jets.

Just asking to not get blown out and have it be a little competitive.

Jets79 and Noam like this.
  2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

We’re starting mims and streveler, goodell will be awarding us the vlt before the game. The season is merely a formality

K'OB and Noam like this.
  3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

O44.5 looks nice to me

4. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I'm going into the season hoping for the best case scenario. But when we say "were good on paper" it's not really accurate. Good on paper means a team brought in a lot of proven players and wait to see if they gel. What good on paper means to us is we have a lot of question marks and unproven players. Especially on offense. Look at it by position.

QB - Zach is still a big question mark. My issue here is looking at the rookies this season, most of them look as talented as Zach. Some like Picket and RItter look further along than Zach does, and they are not under pressure to be starters this season. But they were given a lot more opportunity and responsibility this preseason than Zach was either year. QB is a big question mark but there is potential there. Just unproven.

RB - I didn't know a lot about Hall at the draft but everyone was saying he will be great. It didn't show in preseason but he must have a lot of potential. It takes RBs a few games to make the NFL leap anyways. We know Carter is a good 3rd down back and solid #2. But I still cant say how good we are. We have potential but how much?

WR - Folks say we've upgraded. But the jury is still out here. Losing Crowder/Cole and gaining Wilson isn't an upgrade yet.
    Moore is legit and I'm sold on him. Only his durability is questionable.
    Davis is okay. His problem is he's hot and cold. Not a great quality in crunch time but he can make plays.
    Wilson - completely unproven at this point. We don't know.
    Overall I cant say our WRs are top flight yet, but there is a lot of potential.

TE - great. Proven talent should deliver proven production.

OL - We agree we should have 5 solid starters, and our backups are all pretty mediocre. The question is can they gel and can the two old vets we signed still perform though a full season? Wasn't wild about McGovern's preseason so far. Will Fant be okay on the right? With Becton hovering around the sink, Fant and McGovern in their final years, and two old vets singed as stop gaps, our line will need to be rebuilt next season. This is the year they have to perform well.

DL - Lawson is back and JJ is a first rounder. But neither has inspired my confidence in preseason. Do we over rate these guys or will they be impact players? Will Q. finally break out. If he cant do it in a contract year than he's not a top player. Were deep at being decent - but is our d-line actually great? Who knows yet?

LBs - Mosley is Mosley. Alexander should be decent. Williams is average but better than converted safties. This whole group will likely need to be replaced next year. Like most of us, I cant say how well they play together. There is potential for both good and bad here. I can't predict which way it breaks.

DBs - We signed Reed and Joyner. Reed should be an upgrade over Hall and Joyner should be on par with Maye. Whitehead should replace Austin, which should be an upgrade. Then we got some expensive Sauce. We're hoping for a Revis type pick, but he's unproven. Yet overall this group, and TE, are the only positions that we can definitively say "on paper we've improved". The rest of the team is a question mark. In a way I can say that about our coaching too.

My point is, we still have no idea what we are.
    There is a lot of possible potential, but going into the season I couldn't predict how this will turn out. My instincts say that this many questions mean its going to be a rough year with more downs than ups. Especially since the best case scenario is a rare thing for us in Jet land. But I'm going to hope everything goes right, and if it does we'll be beating good teams. I'm going into the season sunnysiding and expecting (hoping) everything will mostly pan out.

#24 ouchy, Aug 29, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2022
    SOJAZ, Jets79, Ralebird and 1 other person like this.
  5. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Coming out of pre-season I see no indication that this team is ready to play football.

I see a great deal of uncertainty on the offense. The OL looks to have communication issues, has not played enough together and looks like a work in progress that is unlikely to gel early in the season. The OL does not appear to be opening holes for the running game or providing protection for the QB on anything but quick pass plays. While Moore, Wilson and even Davis all look great I don't see our QB having much time to throw the ball. The only positive on offense is Conklin. He has been having a great off-season and looks quite dangerous as well as a nice safety valve.

In regards to the defense. Sauce has looked great. Reed had a great camp but has been injured. the secondary looks vastly improved. While Lawson has not returned to the absolutely dominant game changing player he was all last off-season he has provided pressure as has the entire DL. The question is can they stop the run, do they have answers for misdirection, screen plays, QB running plays and RBs and TEs coming out of the backfield? They look better than last year but Baltimore if their worst nightmare for week one.

Yes we have played vanilla football in the pre-season. The defense will gameplan come week one and MLF will start using the Jet sweep and misdirection to alleviate pressure but, so far I haven't seen anything to give me confidence for week one. I doubt the Ravens will agree to putting in 3rd stringers come the 4th quarter to accommodate Steveler time. I am going into this year with no expectations and expecting the complete worst and that especially is the case in week one. Hopefully they will prove me completely wrong. Go Jets!

Jets79 and Lon Chaney like this.
  6. NYJFOREVER

Hammering Ravens TT over.

FJF likes this.
  7. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

I don't see the line for Ravens TT on Fanduel or Pointsbet. Where do you see it and what's the number?

8. NYJFOREVER

Probably won't see it until game week.

9. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

well said…I see it pretty much the same way.

As we hear every damn year, our OL will need time to gel…I’m frustrated that for the supposed focus on the trenches preached by JD, we have exactly one young drafted OL in AVT…should’ve been two with Becton but JDs decision to bet on Becton for this year was just stupid…after two years he showed enough injury issues that this should never have been the course to take, and more than half this board called it out at the time…and damn it the guy didn’t even make it to the opener. It was a terrible decision that was totally predictable and I expected better from JD…I’ve been a huge JD supporter but this is my biggest criticism on him because it’s not a “freak” thing that no one could have foreseen…he missed more games in two years than he played…it was pretty clear that relying on him to play 17 games was a stupid fucking move.

I like our skill groups on O…but if the OL can’t block it doesn’t matter how good our RBs are… agree that Hall didn’t show much in preseason but every game I saw he had literally nowhere to go because the run blocking was shit.

I think we have a bunch of *almost there* guys on the DL…hopefully they develop and I really like what I saw of Clemons but I feel like we’ll get almost to the QB and flush him maybe but we don’t get the sacks that we should.

and that’s murder against the Ravens, because Lamar will turn that into a 20 yard gain and when the safety takes a step up he’ll lob it over their heads for a TD. He’s going to carve us up one way or another….no way our LBs can contain him, he’ll run around our DEs rushing upfield, and he’ll kill us. Also, does anyone think any of our LBs can cover Andrews? I don’t. The crossing routes and screens will kill us all day.

I just don’t see any way we can win this game. The schedulers did us no favors

SOJAZ likes this.
  10. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Are we starting Zach or SloJoe ?

11. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Ouchy is correct we do not know what we are yet. The Ravens are way overrated and anything can happen game 1. The big question to me is our defense can we stop the run and get off the field on third down. The jets are not built to play from behind in their stage of development.

ouchy and NYJetsO12 like this.
  12. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

This is a Tell game...more about how the Defense holds up against a good team and stopping Lamar J

Flacco against his old team ...does he have any Juice to prove something here?? Doubt it because he is on Cruise control

Gimme a 10-point loss and that's a Ok game imo

latest odds we are getting 7 points

13. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

Does it matter?

Cman68 likes this.
  14. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Well, if you look at the upside of it, Zach playing is more experience for the young man. If SloJoe is starting, it's just another game. If BengalGame is playing, SloJoe got hurt or decided to take the rest of the afternoon off.

cval likes this.
  15. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

yeah the answer is a huge no we can’t stop them

we’ll have no answer for Lamar or andrews…their receivers don’t really scare you but we don’t have an LB who can cover Andrews and I doubt our safeties can either…Lamar will get his

I don’t think we can outscore them in a shootout either whether it’s Zach or more likely Flacco…

not thinking we have much of a chance here…hope I’m wrong and I’ll be cheering for us but I don’t expect much

16. cval

cval Well-Known Member

We have not played an NFL snap. There is a lot of tape how to contain Lamar.

Let's see what happens.

Cman68 and Noam like this.
  17. cval

cval Well-Known Member

How to stop Lamar

#37 cval, Sep 1, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2022
    Noam likes this.
  18. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Baltimore Ravens vs. New York Jets Week 1 Preview | 2022 NFL Season

cval and Brook! like this.
  19. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Only way we have a chance is by keeping our Offense on the field, I don't see that happening.
    O-line is gonna suck big time this week, no way they're a cohesive unit against an elite team already.
    Defense will get worn down and the Ravens will run all over us....

Brook! likes this.
  20. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Getting an opening day win would be a great way to set the tone for the season.

KY Jets Fan and Brook! like this.