2022-2023 Islanders thread

Discussion in 'Ice Hockey Forum' started by statjeff22, Nov 1, 2022.

1. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

My God, losing to the Oilers is just ridiculous. What will it take for Ledecky and Malkin to get their heads out of their asses and clean house?

2. Petrozza

Petrozza Administrator

Just read that Vancouver was looking to trade Beauvillier and Raty was far from impressive in the AHL. At least, it looks like the Isles got the better in that trade...

3. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Yes for the trade but no considering the subsequent contract.

4. statjeff22

Islanders play so stupidly. They show up for about 10 minutes tonight and get two power play goals, and then give up five straight power plays, with Canucks scoring on 3 of them. The last one is a 5-on-3 because Pageau takes an idiotic tripping penalty while they're trying to touch up the puck on a delayed penalty call. 3-3 now, but I don't see how they can win this game.

5. statjeff22

And of course a complete defensive breakdown results in the loss in OT. This team is such a joke. Six in a row and counting.

6. JetBlue

With a 2-0 lead they were either going to save Lambert’s job one more day or hopefully end it with one of their patented blown third periods.

7. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

6 losses in a row. I didn't stay up to watch the game but when I woke up, I went to my phone and said let's see how they lost this one. It wasn't who won? I knew who won. I saw they blew a lead this time. What a shocker. Nothing changes until Lou is gone. He will probably fire Lambert soon and have John MacLean has the interim HC. That won't change a thing.

8. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

I'm a Rangers fan but I follow the local teams too... Lou has done an awful job... trading away top draft picks for how many years in a row for avg at best players while trading away / letting defensive guys go elsewhere that can actually carry the puck out of their zone and QB the offense? This isn't 1985 Lou...If the owners don't fire him and his son their franchise is screwed even more. The Devils are disappointing too, more so than the Islanders given that they have much better talent. Thankfully I still have my Rangers to root for...

9. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

The Rangers have a good team, and they are an exciting team to watch. But with the Rangers it will come down to what they do in the playoffs. Unless injuries hit, they are a lock for the playoffs. Probably going to win 50 or so games and have over 100 points. I wish we could have a Battle of NY in the playoffs, but I don't see the Islanders making it this year. Maybe we get another Rangers-Devils playoff series.

10. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Loss #7 in a row. Another blown 3rd period lead and OT defeat. 5-6-5. 11 losses in 16 games. Thanks Lou.

11. statjeff22

7 Ls in a row, and not a peep from Ledecky and Malkin. It's ownership negligence at this point.

GREG likes this.
  12. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

It won't change anything, but I am guessing Lambert gets fired soon and MacLean coaches the rest of the year. Ledecky and Malkin have to fire Lou and bring someone in to start the rebuild. Until then there is no point in watching this clown show of a hockey team.

13. JetBlue

Lambert will be gone as soon as they return from Calgary. Roster deficiencies aside, the complete lack of identity, terrible PK and constant third period collapses despite one of the best goalies in the league is a reflection of Lambert’s coaching.

that being said, the core of this team was together before Trotz and were a bad team, and are a bad team again after Trotz; Lou’s delusion that the success of the team with Trotz was because of the players and could be maintained without him is why he has to go, beyond the fact that he has doubled down on it with bad contracts that will handicap a rebuild for years.

after Lambert is fired the only way Lou should be able to save his job is if he can unload Pullock and Lee, at a minimum, in exchange for talent or picks. Otherwise he has to go at season’s end.

14. statjeff22

Actually get a win in a shootout, but they still twice blew one-goal leads in the third period, so nothing has really changed. But will it be enough for Lambert to continue to hold onto his job?

15. JetBlue

The Isles being saved any meaningful attention on their coaching by the ineptitude of the Jets. Nobody is rooting harder for a 7 game losing streak for the Jets than Lane Lambert.

16. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

3 wins in a row. Who saw this coming.

JetBlue likes this.
  17. Petrozza

Petrozza Administrator

Just blew a 2-goal lead against the Devils in the 3rd period...yikes

18. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

Sad and pitiful. Up 4-2 going into the 3rd period and lose 5-4 in regulation. Lambert sucks. Lou sucks. I can't wait until we have a new GM/HC.

19. JetBlue

When your GM can’t stay awake past the second period this is the result.

20. JetBlue

https://x.com/TLOMitch/status/1729694737907466518?s=20

Incredible. The criticism of Lou coming into the season was around the roster but it may actually be good enough and it’s his refusal to act on an obviously terrible coaching performance that is holding the team back.