Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MaximusD163, Oct 21, 2014.

1. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

QB,O-line, and cornerback are our biggest needs. Even if Geno plays well the rest of this season, I'df still like to
    draft a younger guy to compete with him rather than Vick. We could use at least two guards; and possibly a tackle.
    The cornerback situation needs to be addressed as well. I have no confidence in Milliner staying healthy.

tbruner12 likes this.
  2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It's not that I'm bashing him but I'm taking him for what he is. There are a lot of better ways to spend $12-$14 million than to sink it into a 30 year old corner who has proven he's all about the money and relatively uninterested in taking anything short of $11 million to better the team around him.

Some will call him selfish and some will say he's getting his money before he blows another ACL and has to sit on the $60 million or so he's made in his career for the rest of his life. Regardless of his reasoning that doesn't make it a good option for the Jets or an option that they're really going to pursue which is why it's silly to talk about. Then again this is a message board and everyone's welcome to discuss what they please. I'm just throwing my two cents in that it's very unlikely he ends up on the Jets next year.

3. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Just playing Devil's Advocate, but what if he was willing to take $8-10 million per year over 4 years. He will turn 30 just before the preseason, so he would have his 30, 31, 32, and 33 year old seasons with us, with the ability to cut him after 3 years. Is that really implausible? There are ways to structure contracts to give players high per-year numbers but structure the guarantees so that in reality you're paying the player less.

4. Jonathan_Vilma

The biggest problem I see with it is the fact that there is a burned bridge there. The Jets didn't want anything to do with him TWICE which I'd assume would be enough for a player to never want to come back to a franchise especially when you're talking about a guy that's all about the money.

He has way too much leverage on the Jets with all of our cap space, pushing him away twice and basically just saying oh I'll just go play for the Pats then.

5. MaximusD163

I'm basically speaking from a hypothetical standpoint, that assumes he is willing to come back here for the price I mentioned, and that he has some sentiment and the understanding that it will mean more to go into the HoF as a player who played 80+% of his seasons with one team. I'm saying would you consider it a reasonable personnel move to sign Revis for 4 years at around $8-10 million per year, with a relatively easy out by the 4th year?

6. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

I would:
    -Cut Chris Johnson
    -Cut Calvin Pace
    -Use 1st round RFA tender on Damon Harrison (Hope someone bites and we can use the extra 1st rounder on a CB)
    -Re-sign Leger Douzable
    -Re-sign David Harris (Only if after letting him test the market, he's still available)
    -Re-sign Kenrick Ellis
    -Sign SF CB Chris Culliver (I don't think the talent gap between he and Maxwell is wide enough to justify paying Maxwell the kind of money I think his LOB affiliation will demand. Despite missing all of 2013 Culliver has more starts and the Niners secondary with him in the line up this year has looked a lot better than the talent laden LOB with Maxwell in the fold.)
    -Sign PHI FS Nate Allen (He's pretty much a younger version Landry, meh for the most part but smart. Provides insurance if Pryor can't handle the FS spot and we can't find a better solution in the draft. This Allen can man Landry's responsibilities of making the calls and getting guys properly lined up, which hopefully can free Pryor to roam and do his thing.)
    -Sign NYG RG John Jerry
    -Sign DAL LB Bruce Carter
    -Sign CAR DE Greg Hardy (This would be my one splurge. With Hardy, Wilks, Sheldon and Coples our pass rush would be so dominant that it wouldn't matter who's on the back end).

I left the QB spot for the draft because the most appealing of the FA QBs IMO already was a Jet.

#86 legler82, Oct 23, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
  7. MaximusD163

I think John Jerry is garbage, and I think there is a pretty big difference in the play of Maxwell and Culliver. Allen might be a good signing if he comes particularly cheap though. I'd rather make a run for Aldon Smith or Brian Orakpo than Greg Hardy too.

8. Pocket Jet

Pocket Jet Well-Known Member

Thank you

9. legler82

I don't know about Jerry's reputation coming into this season but from what I've seen this year, I'd gladly have him as our RG. I've watched every game he's played this year; maybe it's contract year focus but he's been solid. If he's garbage, then we need to create a new category needs to be created for Winters and Colon that's several levels below that. Neither Maxwell or Culliver have enough starts to really tell how far apart they are if all but I just think the fact that he is coming from SEA is going to inflate his value.

10. MaximusD163

Jerry was god awful in Miami last year and signed a 1 year deal with the Giants for under $1 million. Unless he's turned around like you wouldn't believe, his apparent improvement is probably due to the fact that Eli is behind him now. I've only watched a little Giants here and there this year, and I haven't watched Jerry specifically, but from everything I've seen previously he's no upgrade to what we have.

11. MexicanJet

MexicanJet Well-Known Member

And this wouldn't be a bad thing. Let Vick go, bring in Hoyer, (assuming Cle lets him go) or Bradford (assuming the Austin Davis craze stays) and pray he doesn't get hurt again!

Have Geno as a back up, and (if he comes out) draft Bo Wallace... If not, then wait until 2016 and draft big Bo Wallace!

12. MexicanJet

Also, as much as I'd like Revis back because we need a good CB, I don't see it happening for one or 2 reasons.. He's still a prick and wants to make bank, and or Woody is holding a grudge... Which is why I think we didn't get him this past off season..

13. Jonathan_Vilma

I think this is a pretty good plan outside of tendering Harrison that high, resigning Ellis and then signing Greg Hardy as well. That's almost too much invested on the defensive line if no one bites on Harrison which is entirely possible that a team won't. I certainly wouldn't give up a first round pick for a two down run stuffer. They're not a dime a dozen and not all are as good as Harrison, but they can be found a lot easier than first round players.

14. legler82

Good point about the Harrison. Harrison is a pretty good inside pass rusher for a nose; that can be a product of the talent around him though. Maybe a 2nd rounder would be more enticing. Hardy is a tremendous athlete (played WR and basketball at Ole Miss) he can play OLB depending on scheme. With regards to too much invested on the d-line while I'd love to keep everyone Richardson is my only must keep. I'd be willing to part with Mo for compensation if I had to.

15. Jonathan_Vilma

Fair enough. You also have to look at the fact that Hardy will probably be hit with a 6 game suspension but that could work to a teams advantage by signing him on the cheaper side.

16. legler82

The bold is one of the reasons I like him. Assuming he loses his appeal would the NFL still enforce the 6 game suspension on top of being on the exempt list and missing all these games?

17. BleedGreen4ever

BleedGreen4ever Active Member

We simply can't afford to make a big time splash in free agency with an OLB. It would be insane to dump that much money into the D-line, even tho it would make for a hell of a front seven. But we still have to pay Mo, Harrison, and Sheldon in the future and possibly Coples. I'm not apposed to drafting a player high though as we could have the makings for a hell of a front seven and on the cheap for a few years.

18. legler82

We don't have to and most likely, if we're smart, will not try to pay all 4.

19. MexicanJet

Bo. Wallace.

20. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

If anyone on the DL wants too much money, Ellis or Coples may be the cheaper alternative. As good as they are we can easily go 1-6 without them.

legler82 likes this.