Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MaximusD163, Oct 21, 2014.

1. Faux machine

Faux machine Well-Known Member

As much as I would love Revis to come back a changed man, no more holding out, great locker room presence, leader and teacher to a young secondary, I don't think it's gonna happen.

2. cbman13

cbman13 Well-Known Member

Stop with the Revis crap...... He's gone! Woody doesn't want him! So he ain't coming back! Jesus he's not even on our team and he's still talked about more than anyone!

Pocket Jet likes this.
  3. BleedGreen4ever

BleedGreen4ever Active Member

Idk, I'd probably agree with you that its a done deal but if look at our needs and who is out there the guy just fits the bill. Plus do we really want him signing a contract long term with the Patriots, I know I don't. I understand that you shouldn't make moves based on what another team has done but its the Patriots?!! I understand Idzik is not in the business of pleasing his fans and sticks to his guns in most situations, but he is taking a beating with the media and a move like that would put him in the good graces of the fans and media. The contract will not be a one year prove it deal anymore tho, he had that this year and he proved it. We would likely have to sign him to a four year deal or something and for big money. There is so much surrounding Revis and the Jets that it will make for a very compelling story in the off season. Only time will tell, but I hope it goes down.

gustoonarmy and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  4. jetlife21

jetlife21 Well-Known Member

Because he was the best Jet to put on our uniform since Curtis Martin, He's a free agent at the end of the season, He plays the position where we're the worst in the league at, When he was here we were the best in the league at that position. It's pretty easy to connect the dots on why we would want him back. Enough time has passed to where I doubt Woody is still taking the Revis situation personally. He should actually be happy about it because it netted us Sheldon Richardson.
    Do we forget all the times he single handedly shut down the top WR week after week all because we're butthurt over contract negotiations?
    Being a Jets fan hasn't been fun since we've had Revis on this team and we'll be a lot better of a football team if we get the top free agent corner available.

Ozymandias and gustoonarmy like this.
  5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

So you're going to sign a 29 year old corner who will be 30 by next opening day to a huge 4 year deal he's going to complain about in 2 years? No thanks, not to mention regardless of the fact that he's better than any corner on our roster he's still about to hit the downward slope of his career.

He's still a good football player but he's not going to fit into Idzik's plan at all at around $14 million over 4 years despite everyone's whiney attitude about wanting him back.

6. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

yeah Charles Woodson and Champ Bailey really fell apart at 30. So did Darrell Green. #sarcasm

4yrs at 14M would be a little steep. but there is no basis behind Revis requiring 4 years. could be less years, could be reasonable guarantees.... he does like banking on himself.
    The FO should at least kick the tires.....otherwise they come off as the ones looking whiney..
    they should have kicked the tires this year.

7. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

8. JETSrealMCCOY!

9. JETSrealMCCOY!

Maybe Revis will want to come back to Green and White and give a nice F-you to Brady, BB, and Kraft.

10. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

I might have agreed before, but Revis has not been having a banner year and really one of his worst seasons. He was just sent home by BB for being late to practice. After this season I think Revis would be more likely to get $42M for four years. That being if he stays healthy for the full season. Revis is getting older and not the guy he was three years ago.

11. DoubleDecker87

DoubleDecker87 Well-Known Member

Same here, he has had the most success under Rex but who knows if Rex will even be here.

12. jetlife21

Maybe a four year deal isn't the best option but it could be if there's a chance of cutting him without huge cap hit year 4. He's won't be getting 14 mil a year tho. He's been playing year to year since he left maybe we can get him on a loaded 1 or 2 year deal. It's possible he regresses but he should be a top corner in the NFL for at least the next three years of four years..and if we want to compete to win a Super Bowl starting next season into the next few, we're much better off with Revis on our roster.

13. Jonathan_Vilma

Whose to say Revis is going to be reasonable and especially with the Jets? You really think the guy wants to continue signing one and two year deals and bouncing around the league? The Patriots aren't going to pickup his second year option so I highly doubt he goes into his next deal without some long term security.

I just don't get why all of a sudden people will think Revis would want to come back to the franchise that feuding with him for a couple years, dealt him then refused to bring him back or even field his phone calls this past offseason. People need to let go of Darrelle Revis. He was a great Jet but those days are behind him.

14. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

You win with offense. That's where you should spend your money. I hate to say this but Dallas and Denver are the perfect teams for this NFL. Enough defense to get a stop and great offense. Keep the player in front of you (unlike the two ugly TD's the Jet defense allowed Thurs.) and score when you get the ball. Great defenders are overpaid. The rules don't permit them to play. 12 mil. for a dback is a waste of money.

15. Jonathan_Vilma

This is why safeties are becoming an incredibly important position in the NFL. Guys that rally to the ball to make the tackle and protect deep balls over their head. A lot of turnovers are given away because the offense makes a mistake rather than the defense making a great play although it's not concrete to bank on this.

That's why the Patriots defense is good at what they do. Don't give up big plays and make offenses go 70 yards methodically to score. It gives up a lot of yards but not home run plays like a heavy blitz defense like Rex plays.

hornblower likes this.
  16. jetlife21

I'm not saying we're getting a hometown discount, but why especially the Jets? His camp reached out to Idzik last season about coming back. I think there's a big Rex factor in this. If he's gone he might not be what the new regime is looking for..but if the Jets can show some fight this year and keep Ryan around, we're going to go into free agency trying to fix this putrid secondary however we can. There's no way I'm buying Revis isn't going to be the top option.

I respect your opinion for not wanting Revis back due to the contract concerns or age questions you bring up. My problem is just how salty this fan base is towards Revis. A lot are quick to write something negative or call him selfish, but fan bases with class don't bash future Ring of Honor members. I'd rather appreciate his HOF worthy career and talk about where he might go down in Jets history. We're not 1-6 if we brought him in this past offseason I'll tell everyone that.

#76 jetlife21, Oct 23, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
  17. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

In regards to why, even fans like me who know how unlikely something is like Revis returning here doesn't make me above entertaining the idea of a storybook reunion. It would be great for so many reasons, if highly unlikely.

The other thing to keep in mind is that the Patriots may try and extend Revis instead of cutting him outright. They will probably open up some space by cutting Vince Wilfork and restructuring a player or two. I think Revis getting released is more likely, but it's not guaranteed.

18. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

That's a list of names that gives zero defensive coordinators a single nightmare.

19. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Which is why I think whoever we sign will just be a guy who starts until a drafted QB is ready. Geno has to make a huge turn around to stop that from happening at this point.

20. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't count on Milliner at all. Hopefully he comes back and shows something but I wasn't comfortable counting on him to take it to the next level this season, I'm certainly not for next season.

CJ2K whatever they call him should be given the heave ho, he's been a bust of a signing.
    My dream scenario is Ray Rice gets back into the league and comes home to NJ.

Colon should be selling cologne, bye

We need O- Line , LB, CB, and another RB, for sure.
    QB still remains a ?, but I believe with better protection Geno improves.

I'd also like another veteran WR, if V. Jackson is cut I'd go after him depending on price.

#80 Jersey Joe 67, Oct 23, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2014