Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MaximusD163, Oct 21, 2014.

1. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Zach Martin was taken before the Jets picked.

2. DoubleDecker87

DoubleDecker87 Well-Known Member

Resign the obvious

Free Agency

QB- Sam Bradford
    WR- Wouldnt mind a guy like Cecil Shorts if we're not planning on drafting a guy.
    OL- Need a stud guard somehow someway, I'm okay with letting Oboushi/Winters/Dozier compete for other guard spot
    CB - Need 2 starters. Can't count on Dee Milliner. 1 big time guy and 1 of Idziks cheap guys
    FS- Gotta find a ball hawk

3. GangGreenBlues

GangGreenBlues Well-Known Member

At this point it's really hard to plan this stuff. There are so many moving parts right now and uncertainties.

- Are Rex and his coaching staff staying for next year? If no, who's the new coach and what schemes is he going to run?
    - Is Geno going to play better the rest of the season now that he has good weapons and hopefully the O-Line has stabilized?
    - Will the young guys show anything this year? Guys like Aboushi, Dozier, Pryor, Reilly, IK.
    - Where exactly are we going to end up picking and what mock drafts look like by then.

I think one good situation for us would be if Geno played really well the rest of the year. If we would clearly see that when he has a decent O-Line and good weapons he can deliver, that would really simplify next offseason for the FO. They could just concentrate on the O-Line and secondary.

In that case, I would probably bring in one decent but budget veteran guard through FA if Aboushi looks good the rest of the year, and 2 if not. That guard would play the other guard spot until and if Dozier is ready to take over. Unless of course they don't like what they see out of Dozier, in which case, it might make sense to look for a more long-term solution. Mangold should be good for a few more years, and Brick and Giaconmini I think are ok for now. If we get a chance, we can draft a Left Tackle for the future.

First round should still be BPA, but weighted toward Secondary/Left Tackle/Pass Rushing or fast TE covering OLBs. And QBs of course if Geno sucks or there is a really tempting choice there.

Secondary is going to be tricky because I'm sure Idzik wants to give Milliner and McDougle another chance with some playing time, but on the other hand, he isn't stupid, and they have to be considered injury prone these days.

TonyMaC likes this.
  4. Matty Jets

Matty Jets Well-Known Member

Shorts is constantly injured. No thanks.

5. MaximusD163

If Geno plays well, I disagree about the guards, just because I think we'll have an opportunity to add an offensive lineman in the first or second round, since drafting a QB woold be less likely. If drafting a QB seems very likely, I might be more prone to signing a guard because with the QB probably being a 1st or second round pick, we may not have the opportunity to draft an offensive lineman early.

I agree with BPA to an extent, but the weighting of need into the grade becomes a little higher each year of rebuilding. While we had very little talent across the board, taking the best rated player no matter what was more useful. In the third year, with some long term contracts coming into play, you start to weight your needs into the draft a bit more. Assuming we don't need to draft a QB, I'm leaning towards an offensive lineman or OLB/DE. I'd also be glad to get an ILB in the top 3 rounds. If we do need a QB, I'd like to pass on an OL in the early rounds and go QB in round 1 or 2, OLB in round 1-3, and ILB in round 2 or 3.

You can't give up on a top 10 pick who's had some injury issues, just look at what LaRon Landry did for us after coming off of 2 season on IR is Washington. You sign 1 CB to start like Maxwell, and still look to Milliner to contribute. If we end up having to give the 4th rounder for Harvin, I'd use our 5th rounder on a safety, CB or RB.

6. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

-I would use 1st round RFA tender on Damon Harrison. ( how does this work) ?

7. John

John Active Member

not positive but i believe if a team signs him we get there first round pick

8. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Austin Davis and Matt Moore are the two that the Jets should be targeting. The rest of the available FA QB class is mostly crap. Cecil Shorts would be a nice pickup, a deep vertical threat that this team sorely needs, but not sure Jax gives him up easily. Outside of a QB, CB has to be the top priority after the debacle this season. OL could use some shoring up. These 4 positions should be the focus of the Jets FA and draft plans.

9. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I wouldn't mind a healthy Locker or Bradford but the problem is a healthy Locker and Bradford don't exist. No way St. Louis lets Austin Davis walk especially when they can have him back cheaper than Bradford. Matt Moore doesn't move the needle one bit for me. If we are gonna have two QBs battling I want one of them to be someone we can peg as the future.

Cecil "and a clean pair of" Shorts (who gets the reference?) would be nice but again he's got the faultiest hamstrings in the league.

I think we kind of have to temper our expectations a little bit, which I know can be hard for some people here to do. We got very lucky with that Eric Decker situation. He's an extremely talented player that was the odd man out on a team that had elite talent that they needed to pay. Most guys that are highly sought after free agents are highly sought after because they are talented, and why would a team just let their talented free agent go? Most guys that are available are available for a reason. With the guys mentioned above, it's injuries. We have to hope the healthy guys we target are part of teams that can't afford to bring them back.

Vontae Davis, perfect example. Very good quarterback that I'm sure Rex would have loved to have and I'm sure Idzik would have loved to sign. But what incentive is there for Davis to leave his team when they are offering him equal or more money? I feel like a bunch of people had a hard time understanding that this off-season and I'm hoping it doesn't happen again. Just prepare for it this time.

10. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

and also why Dallas won those SuperBowls in the 90s....... ole Jerry must've finally remembered

Anyone really think Thomas Jones coincidentally had a brief career resurection when he got here?

11. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I agree OL should be a top priority but the Cowboys also have Tony Romo, Dez Bryant, and Jason Witten. Point being it's not just the o-line. You have to have the skill guys behind it.

12. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I don't think the Rams will keep both Davis and Bradford, even so Davis is a restricted FA.

13. APK 8

APK 8 Well-Known Member

Looking at that list of potential QBs, Mark Sanchez is clearly best suited to come back here and play. None of the guys listed have been better than Mark and there is nothing to indicate they'd be better than a now 100% healthy Sanchez. I know it's crazy but re-signing Sanchez may have to be a consideration.

14. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

I want two veteran guards brought in here to help solidify this O-Line.

The Jets need to move on from David Harris.

I'd cut Chris Johnson and look to draft another young RB who can catch the football out of the backfield.

I'd be looking to sign a veteran QB. Bradford would be a great low risk high reward signing for this team. It depends on how Geno finishes up though. But if Geno continues his inconsistent play i'd sign Bradford and be looking to take QB early in the draft.

This team still could use help at WR. Although assuming you have a healthy Percy Harvin it's not as big of an issue now. Harvin, Decker, and Kerley is more than adequate. But i'd still look to build good depth. You need guys who can step in and perform when injuries happen. Hopefully Evans can be a player for us next year.

We need to be looking to invest money in a legit starting caliber corner in FA. Then bring in another veteran guy capable of spot starting if need be. You can't depend on Milliner and McDougle going forward. What they give you is a plus. In a perfect world Milliner comes back strong and is starting next year but the Jets can't assume that. He burned them this year.

15. MaximusD163

There are 3 types of tenders you can use on an RFA, the first round tender, second round tender, and original round tender. Each tender has a designated 1 year salary-

1st Round: Approximately $3.5 million
    2nd Round: Approximately $2.5 million
    Original Round: Approsimately $1.5 million

If you tender an RFA at one of these levels, you are promising them that salary for 1 year. If another team gives that RFA an offer sheet, which is basically just a contract offer, the team who used the tender has the ability to match the offer. If they do match it, the RFA automatically gets that contract but has no choice but to play with the original team. If the original team does not wish to match the offer, the new team surrenders their pick correlating with the tender level to the new team. So by using a first round tender on Snacks, we guarantee him a 1 year ~$3.5 million contract,. If another team offers him a better contract that we don't want to match, they have to give us their first round pick.

16. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

You think a team would give up a first round for him?

17. MaximusD163

I think it's possible, but unlikely. The point of using a first round tender is more to discourage another team from signing a player than to attempt to get a 1st round pick out of them.

18. MaximusD163

There's still a good chance that Wilkerson, Harrison, and Davis will all receiver longer term extensions this offseason, putting us much closer to that 89% cap usage. Depending on how much space we have left, I'd consider trying to sign Aldon Smith or Brian Orakpo.

I have to be honest, in a dream scenario I'd swap out Byron Maxwell for Revis. Maxwell is the smarter move but I can't lie about liking to have Revis back in green and white.

19. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Its looking more like a top 5 pick at the moment :(

20. DoubleDecker87

DoubleDecker87 Well-Known Member

Seems like a lot people want a whole new o-line. I'm fine with Mangold, D-Brick, and Breno for at least 1 more year. Id try and find the future replacements in the middle to late rounds of the draft. The 2 guard positions are what desperately need improved right now.