2014 NCAA Football Thread

Discussion in 'NCAA' started by JStokes, Aug 29, 2014.

1. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

I don't usually watch but i am while waiting for the race. This is intense. How about the jets getting this bryce petty kid? I like him.

2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

He throws a pretty long ball

3. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

I'm taking Mariota over Petty every single day.

Petty is good but he can't play an iota near Mariota.

_

4. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Today was a double-whammy of a trap game for ND coming off beating Stanford (as a home dog) with top-ranked Florida State up next in Tallahassee.

Oregon 42, UCLA 30: Mariota dominant (has ball-handling issues); UCLA is "BCS history" for 2014 and Oregon's speed exposed them. Bruin DC Jeff Ulrich embarrassed himself (if not his head coach). What an excitable boy.

Miss. St. 38, Auburn 23: MSU moves up a notch to #2. They have SEC-West road games at 'Bama & Ole Miss. If they win at Tuscaloosa, this year's Egg Bowl could have more at stake than the Iron Bowl (also depending on what happens at College Station tonight).

Alabama's D bailing out their offense. 'Bama's only up because Arkansas allowed a PAT of theirs to be blocked.

5. JetsHuskers fan

JetsHuskers fan Well-Known Member

Ole Miss up 14-0

6. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Ucla will win out and play for the PAC 12 championship. A 2 loss conference champion isn't looking like that big a problem this year.

7. joe

joe Well-Known Member

JB, a 2 loss team is possible. And luckily for UCLA, the SEC West has 3 of the top 4 teams in the conference in Miss. St. Ole Miss, 'Bama (with Georgia in the East) so there's a good chance that each team in the SEC West will put a dent in each other's record by the time the conference championship game rolls around. And UCLA will be at home vs. Arizona, USC and Stanford.

However, seeing them hitting that trifecta, beating an unpredicable Washington on the road, and then following all of that up by beating the Pac 12 North champ (presumably Oregon/Stamford?) in the Pac 12 championship game appears to be a verrrry tall order. I don't see it especially with poor Hundley getting knocked on his ass as much as he has.

8. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

I think UCLA is better than the rest of the teams in the Pac 12. Stanford can't score, USC is inconsistent and poorly coached, relying on talent, and Arizona is over rated IMO. it's certainly not inconceivable that UCLA loses another game, but make fan-goggles makes me believe it is unlikely.

9. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Is possible for both ole miss and Mississippi st play each other in the 4 game playoff? I don't really know much about the college game but these gams the past two weeks have been incredible

10. JetsHuskers fan

Is Jameis Winston a retard?

11. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Possibly, but for sure Jumbo Fisher is. The moron should keep his mouth shut, he keep professing how Winston has done nothing wrong as more issues keep coming up. Now they are investigating Winston autographs and Fisher's statement that "Kids sign things all the time" is laughable, they found over 950 autographed items from Winston on the same site from the Gurley investigation.

12. JStokes

And not just random things. Hundreds of jerseys and mini-helmets consecutively numbered. Not some random stuff he signed for fans.

He literally sat down with a pen and a box of stuff and started signing shit.

_

13. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

They should be allowed to make money off their autographs. The NCAA is wrong in this.

14. JStokes

Whether they should be or not is irrelevant. Those are the rules currently in place.

_

15. BrowningNagle

No I know. Winston is dumb as hell. Florida State is even worse for overlooking his transgressions over his time there. I still just feel they should change those rules.

16. JStokes

The problem with changing those rules makes an uneven landscape geometrically even more uneven.

The mid market majors really can't compete with the big powerhouses.

Now all of a sudden you've got the powerhouses being able to offer the top talent the incentive of autograph fees?

The rich will get richer.

_

17. JetsHuskers fan

You would think he'd be smart and keep his nose clean. But there is something with football players where they feel like they have to do stupid shit all the time.

18. JStokes

Who exactly would think that? :D

_

19. JetsHuskers fan

I hope Notre Dame beats FSU. Prolly not gonna happen but it'd be nice to have them out of the playoffs.

20. BrowningNagle

Like you said it's already grossly uneven and unfair. I don't think allowing players to make some cash on the side for money they deserve would make it any worse than it already is. Either way the NCAA isn't of your mindset anyway if they were they would change some of the rules that are making it so uneven. They just don't want players to make any money period, because who knows where that might lead and god forbid they have to share some of their massive profits.