2014 NCAA Football Thread

Discussion in 'NCAA' started by JStokes, Aug 29, 2014.

1. Leicester Jet

Leicester Jet Well-Known Member

I knew that would make your day as soon as I saw the headline :)

Who do you think will take over from him?

2. JetsHuskers fan

JetsHuskers fan Well-Known Member

Im thinking wither Frost or the HC from Colorado State.

He probabaly wasn't fired because of his record this year, it was most likely because of how he most likely refused to fire his assistants, like Barry Cotton, John Papachous, and Beck. All 3 of those guys had to go. I wouldn't even want them on a HS team they are so bad. But he is too loyal and that was likely his undoing .

3. JetsHuskers fan

Maybe they can hire Rex Ryan. I was hearing that name being tossed around on 1620 KOZN a few weeks back.

I actually think that he can be pretty good in college.

4. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Which part? The ACC is fucking horrible. Winston is overrated. They barely beat crappy teams.

5. joe

joe Well-Known Member

"Sure I'd like to beat Notre Dame, don't get me wrong.
    But NOTHING matters more than beating that cow college on the other
    side of the state."

[​IMG]

6. JetsHuskers fan

Brady Hoke is gone.

Bye bye

[​IMG]

7. JetsHuskers fan

I want Dan Mullen so bad to be the next coach at NU.

8. JetsHuskers fan

rumors are that John Gruden has been seen in Lincoln today.

9. JetsHuskers fan

Mike Riley is the next HC of the Nebraska Cornhuskers.

I have no idea who he is, nor did I even expect this to be the hire.

10. JetsHuskers fan

He is 93-79 with Oregon State U.

Ugh. I really hope he has some great assistant coaches around him or else this will become Bill Callahan 2.0 He is also in his 60's so he is old.

11. JetsHuskers fan

But then again I guess going 93-79 at Oregon State and the crappy facilities that they have there is decent, and I will give him a 3 year chance to do good at NU. Next season is probably gonna suck, growing pains and all that crap will probably lead to a 7 win season. Years 2 and 3 are when he will have to prove himself. He also turned down the HC job at USC after they fired Lane Kiffin, so maybe thats a positive, but overall, I'm pretty negative on this hire.

ESPN also has him as #2 for most underrated FBS coaches FWIW
    http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=11556260

12. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Lmao

13. JetsHuskers fan

I found that on a Husker fan board. Apparently the guy had a buddy who said that a flight attendant served him a drink on an airplane on its way to LNK.

14. tomz

tomz New Member

Wow... .I don't even see that coming. Riley is a very good head coach but he is a mellow dude. I am not sure if he is up to higher aggressive mode but he can improve the NFL prospectus status, though.

15. JetsHuskers fan

Yea I was driving and had the radio on and they were discussing potential HC candidates to replace Bo Pelini and then the host said that Mike Riley was gonna be the next head coach of the Huskers. My reaction along with the majority of Husker fans was "Mike Who?" I didn't even know who coached at Oregon State. But I am willing to give him a try. Yea everyone says that he is a nice guy, but will he win game and win the games where it matters? That was something that Bo was never able to do while he was HC here at NU. I just hope this is not Bill Callahan 2.0 where the Huskers were "Playing not to get blown out" by teams like Oklahoma and Texas.

But Oregon State had 28 consecutive losing seasons before he came there. Which I think is the NCAA FBS record, and they won an average of 2 games per season for the 50 years before he came there. So I guess if you can become a somewhat successful HC in a perpetual tire fire school like Oregon State where you will NEVER have the kinds of resources and money that somewhere like Nebraska has right now, then he has to be doing something right over there, and hopefully he brings that here to Nebraska.

One thing that concerns me, is his age, which is 61. But this could be something where you have a "coach in waiting" type of deal. Kinda what happened with Bob Devaney when Tom Osborne was his assistant from the 1960's until 1972 where he fully took over as the AD and let Tom Osborne take over as the HC in 1973. If that is the case, then I see Scott Frost coming in to come back home to Nebraska where he is from and where he belongs. It would behoove Frost to come coach under a 61 year old coach who has experience and then take over in 8-10 years when he gets too old and be prepared to run the team the way that he likes.

Overall, I am still very skeptical about this hire. But I will support it and I will give it a try.

16. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Tom Osborne was as mellow as it got and his teams were always aggressive.

When I was stationed in Omaha, they always replayed Husker games with him talking through each down, and I put it on a couple of times just to fall asleep. Boring motherfucker but a great coach.

17. JetsHuskers fan

This guy is like night and day compared to Bo. So much better and more refreshing. Bo thought he could be like Nick Saban with the media while he hasn't won shit as HC. And all that "nice Bo, or good Bo" crap was to improve his image after he got caught on tape telling Husker fans to go fuck themselves.

So happy Bo is gone.

18. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Lol

_

19. JetsHuskers fan

Tom Osborne is pretty cut and dry.

But he did go 60-3 for his last 5 seasons. Which is mind blowing. He was also a few blown plays away from retiring with 5 national titles instead of 3.

20. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Nebraska brass & its fans are delusional. Stuck in the 1990s. This program is closer to the Purdue's, Iowa's, West Virginia's of the world than it is to the Alabama's, Oklahoma's, USC's, Texas' now but they have a false sense of what they are because of Osbourne's successes in the past.

Pelini did a very good job there. He brought in players that they won't get in the coming years and had every right to say f - you to that fan base.. they just didn't like him because he wasn't one of their own and didn't match their bogus 1990s expectations.

And to replace him with Riley? Wow

The only thing they have going for them is they play in an easy conference now and the easier division of that conference. But they will remain largely irrelevant at the national scale and took steps backward by replacing Pelini with Riley. Riley is a very average coach and with his west coast roots - good luck recruiting to Nebraska.