2014 Mike Francesa Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jetfannerd, Jul 29, 2014.

1. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

Being pre empted by Champions League soccer on Fox Sports. Apparently Mr. Sports doesn't realize the fanbase for European soccer, especially the Champions League tourny, dwarfs his tv audience.

2. joe

joe Well-Known Member

The same Mr. Sports who came up with this gem as a question during an interview:

"These soccer players, they use their heads, can they use both feet?"

[​IMG]

jonnyd likes this.
  3. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Not trying to change the subject but didn't the Fox soccer channel go under and become FXX and get higher ratings than ever w/ Simpsons reruns? I know Mike's show gets no ratings but neither does soccer on those fox cable channels.

4. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

/Vuvuzela honk

Cakes likes this.
  5. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

No, Fox was outbid on the English Premier League by NBC and lost the English Championship League and the other European Leagues games to beIN Sports. That left them with the Champions League and Europa League tournaments, which they moved to their fledging Fox Sports stations. US cable ratings for European soccer (and Mexican soccer) are pretty good and improving all the time. Of course, in the rest of the world, the ratings are off the charts.

6. abyzmul

Why am I not surprised that Wahoo is a soccer guy?

I guess I should be more surprised that you haven't stormed the field and impaled Rex Ryan's severed head on a pike.

7. nyjunc

Fox has basically unlimited resources, why would they lose out on rights if they were so successful with it?

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/03/b...icmst=1409232722000&bicmet=1419773522000&_r=1

8. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

Now that's funny. But don't give me any ideas!

9. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

That's for Fox to answer, I guess, but they did make a significant bid and NBC beat it. (Sometimes that happens. It happened when CBS and NBC lost the NFL). As to Fox Soccer channel having no value, I don't know for sure, but I would assume that that was after they lost the Premier League.

nyjunc likes this.
  10. nyjunc

I know NBC was getting decent ratings for the premiere league. is that the best soccer league in the world?

11. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Yes and it's not even close, the Premier League is essentially the NFL and the rest of the leagues like Spain, Germany and France are like the CFL, AFL and AFL 2. Although it's not really a fair comparison because the top teams in Germany and Spain are better than the best teams in England but the worst teams in the Premier League would smash the worst teams in those leagues. In England the wealth is somewhat spread around whereas in Spain the 2 top teams essentially hold the rest of the league hostage for their money.

nyjunc likes this.
  12. Barry the Baptist

Sounds to me like Fatcessa should have read his contract a little more, I'm sure he signed it without reading that he would be preempted for soccer. Or he's just being a dick which is certainly possible.

13. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

Fox Sports 1 threatened to sue him if he continued talking badly about them on air. Apparently everytime he gets preempted on FS1 (which is a lot) he brings them up. Supposedly he's trying to get moved to MSG.

14. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

He is leaving FS1, FS1 probably paid a hefty amount for the simulcast rights but im sure CBS will give back whatever, and just pro rate it. I think FOX promised Francesa a lot more, I hope he goes to MSG because there isnt ANYTHING on MSG that would pre empt his show.

15. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Put him on the Food Network.

TheCleaner likes this.
  16. Barry the Baptist

The guy never deserved a national show to begin with, he's like Petros and Money on the West Coast. Their show is so LA that it has no business being national ( i don't even know if it still is) but unless you were familiar with the LA sports scene or the inside jokes that only one who lives on the west coast would understand it would have no appeal to a national audience. Francessa is a New York guy and a New York host, he doesn't appeal to a national audience.

17. abyzmul

We used to have P&M here in San Antonio a couple of years ago, and while they were funny, there was no way any audience outside of California could relate to them.

But I'd rather listen to them than this worthless fat fuck.

18. Jets Esq.

Jets Esq. Guest

Eh, I think Man U has won like 70% of whatever the big championship whatever whatever is. (The Soccer Bowl.) It sounds like basically Man U gets all of the best players, and the leftovers go to the other teams and sometimes pull off the upset.

Sounds utterly boring to me. At least the Yankees have only won 1/4 of the World Series.

19. Jets Esq.

Jets Esq. Guest

It's da bread. Da breeeeeeaaaaaaad!!

20. Barry the Baptist

That's not accurate, yes the big money clubs with wealthy owners will have more success but in England you have Man U, Man City, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Spurs and Everton who all compete for the top 4 spots year in and year out. Man U has been successful but no where near as dominating as Bayern Munich (Germany) or Barca/Real Madrid in Spain. Bayern has lost like 3 league games the last 2 seasons and won their league by about 20 points over 2nd place. The Premier League you had 3 teams that had a realistic chance to win it on the last day of the season and really about 4 who were in contention going into the last 2 weeks. The German league race was over 2 months into the season.

Bayern has won something like 28 of their league titles since the 60's. That is ridiculous.