2014-15 NCAA Basketball Thread

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by nyjunc, Aug 29, 2014.

1. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Laugh your frontrunning, bandwagon-jumping tail off as much as you want but it's one and done and anything can happen. Freddie Brown handed a UNC team of James Worthy, Sam Perkins & co. a gift-wrapped win in the last seconds. Syracuse handed Indiana a win off of blown one and one (let alone forgetting to stop the clock). Moving onto this year: UNC choked its brains out and were within a whisker of losing to Harvard, repeat Harvard. So gloat all you want but it was only days ago you were whining and carrying on about "those referees" (a noted pattern of yours) that were sticking it to your school's team...........oops, I meant sticking it to North Carolina against big, bad Harvard.

However, let us all here on this board not dwell on our differences but happily note of what we all have in common:

not one of us here attended The University of North Carolina.

: ) right back at ya

2. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Well he is somewhat of a handsome summa bitch. :D

Hack, I'm not saying he deserves a pass altogether, I'm just saying that if you think he (Wright) is not being held accountable for his program's underachieving, look no further than the "loveable little paper tiger" hype that was bestowed on "loveable Louie," Lou Carnessecca. THIS is a guy whose NCAA track record deserves closer scrutiny imho. You can put Jay W. on the hot seat all you want, I'm just saying he's got a ways to go to before approaching Louie's media-love NCAA shortcomings.

3. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

It's a shame our archive is gone, but all being equal, I have no way to prove it.

Corruption aside (No one would equate Wright's phone card scandal from twelve years ago to what Boeheim pulled off), What really is the difference between Wright and Boeheim? 1 National Title?

Here is where I call you out, junc. There may be no other coach who accomplished so little in the NCAA Tournament with so many high seeds than Bob Huggins at Cincinnatti. No one that is, until Jay Wright.

4. HackettSuxTNG

I'm sorry Joe, I gotta disagree with you here. There is NO WAY in good conscience that i could argue that Villanova was "beat up" in the Big East this past two years. Even when Creighton embarrassed them last year, it was done with outside shooting.

This is a different Big East than it was three years ago. That bruising physical play just isn't there anymore.

5. HackettSuxTNG

That's a very interesting comparison. Sometime when I have time, I'd like to compare the resumes of Carnesecca and Jay Wright.

6. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I don't recall bashing Lute, maybe I said about him what I say about Boeheim in that he's not in that all time great category but that doesn't mean I am bashing.

Huggins has underachieved in the tourney but again he has elevated mediocre programs.

7. HackettSuxTNG

I'm sure you all saw this by now. Actually made me smile:

8. HackettSuxTNG

Huggins is the ANTI-Izzo. Izzo draws more from the talent that he has than anyone actually expects. Huggins let those Cincinnati teams implode the moment they arrived at the NCAA's.

Which sounds more like Jay Wright to you?

9. nyjunc

you crack me up when you get flustered.

how many more titles do you think UNC has if Dean wasn't encouraging players to leave early when most programs didn't lose guys early? you think James Worthy helps the elite 8 team of 1983? think Jordan helps the elite 8 team of '85? JR Reid w/ the S16 team of '90? Stackhouse and Wallace? the list goers on and on. also what if Kenny Smith doesn't get hurt in '84? what if they didn't have all the injuries in '77? what if Phelps doesn't go down in '94? Stackhouse/Wallace in '95? Lawson in '08? Marshal/Henson in '12?

they almost lost to Harvard, did they lose?

That last sentence may or may not be true but it has nothing to do w/ your pathetic excuses and gutless attacks.

10. nyjunc

this notion that Izzo lacks talent is comical. MSU is always super talented. if you think Huggins had more talent in his stops than Izzo at MSU I don't know what to tell you.

11. HackettSuxTNG

I would agree with your premise that in general, Izzo had more talent at MSU then Huggins had at Cincinatti.

However, which one would you trust more with a mediocre team?

12. nyjunc

I trust Izzo more w/ any team b/c he's a better coach but Huggins is a good coach too.

13. joe

joe Well-Known Member

no, no, no, no, I meant back in the day when it was essentially the black and blue division of college hoops.....back when it was (according to Billy Tubbs) "ugly."

14. HackettSuxTNG

OK, then that is a fair point which I agree with.

15. nyjunc

The BE had a great run in the 80s, was irrelevant most of the 90s then was really good in the late 00s/early 10s. the physical play didn't stop GU and 'Nova from winning in the 80s or SJU, SH, SU, Prov from making FFs.

16. HackettSuxTNG

BTW junc, I didn't mean to say you specifically were torching Lute Olson. I DO recall him getting heat from posters here.

17. nyjunc

every debate is different, I may have been critical when comparing him to a Roy Williams but Lute was still a really good coach.

18. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Playfully mocking pretention should never be confused with being flustered.

"Pathetic excuses?" "Gutless attacks?" Now who's the flustered, tampon-impaled one here? Besides, your one-trick schtick is water off a duck's back at this stage of the game. If you're not complaining about "the refs," you're making one assumption after another of an 'in-the-bag championship' (if not for this injury of that injury). As for the one-and-gone for the NBA, that merely underscores the fact that Smith got the pick of the litter - he didn't have to worry about rebuilding, he simply reloaded.

You're stale bread.

opportunity knocks junc:

[​IMG]

19. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Junc is too old to go back to college

20. nyjunc

flustered as always. I am wondering where your Big East fluff and anti ACC posts have gone? want to tell me how great the BE was this year? how great KU and the Big 12 were? how much RPI matters?

clown.