2013 Week 2 - New York Jets @ New England Patriots Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by soxxx, Sep 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

"Ceiling" as in as good as he can be, most guys dont reach their potential 100%, Geno could peak at a Romo level or implode and never be any good but he's got the tools to be a Rodgers-like QB. I said it in January, April and now

its impressive because he's a rookie and he's taking notice of the their tendencies and preparing for himself. Knowing the names is what was stated but it tells you so much more

2. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

IDC care if I'm drinking kool-aid

I love my team and will go hard for them from Geno to Sanchez(as I've tempered down my resentment towards him after Sunday when he was very professional)

3. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

First 2 seasons Rex was (3-2) vs. The Patriots including a road playoff win at Foxboro.

Last 2 seasons Rex is (0-4) vs. The Patriots including The Butt Fumble, Hill drop game, actually played them better on road than home.

Expect a close one on Thursday. What is the odds? Patriots (-12.5)? I would take the Jets (+12.5) easy.

4. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

I'm going to lay some money on the points. Maybe parlay them with another team on the ML (Crazy odds) just to get a nice payout, then hedge your bet if they cover and do actually win the game.

5. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Naming the 11 starters on the opposing defense tells you one thing. He knows their names. Stop trying to turn it into a noble trait.

I think he is probably studying the hell out of film, but naming 11 guys is simply naming 11 guys.

Stop trying to romanticize something that doesn't need it.

6. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

did you read the full quote

I'll wait.....

7. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I passed over the original quote, and you're correct.

8. DanR

DanR Active Member

We do this to Brady and the whole Jets organization will be banned from the league. :lol:

9. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Jets are 14 point underdogs, I am guessing this is another good one to go all in on.

10. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Rodgers is the best QB in the league. You saying Geno Smith's ceiling is Rodgers is saying he could be a top 5 QB in this league.

I think we have to relax our expectations on this kid. He'll go as far as this FO assists him. Besides Rodgers throws the football faster than most in the league.

I would love for him to become Aaron Rodgers like but it's unlikely. Keep believing though it's your opinion at the end of the day.

I've already made my NFL comparisons

11. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

For this game, Smith doesn't need to be Rodgers - he just needs to show improvement by moving the ball down the field while keeping his turnovers at 0. This is a realistic goal for a rookie QB, particularly one who's had a solid debut against a top-10 defense.

Like most folks, my opinion is that if Smith can eliminate turnovers and consistently move the ball down the field for scores, these Jets can pull off the miracle.

Just a quick comment on the "ceiling" discussion:

Jeti's correct. We're not sure what Smith's ceiling is at this point - he's played one game. Buttle and La Greca were talking about this on the 5th Quarter show: it's exciting because the sky's the limit with this kid. Smith's shown some weaknesses in his game, but we don't know whether they're things he'll overcome or if they're permanent fixtures. And he's certainly shown us that he has some talent. But were those flashes a fluke. No one can speak with certainty at this point.

The calls for tempering "expectations" are reasonable. But that doesn't mean the ceiling for Smith isn't Rodgers. It also doesn't mean he couldn't end up as Sanchez redux.

12. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I don't see Geno making the same mistakes as Sanchez. Lets see how he performs going forward. He's on the right track.

What we do going forward, every decision the Jets do going forward must be in the best interest for Geno. The draft, weekly transactions, FA. I don't know if I fully trust the Jets in that aspect yet

13. PatsFan2003

PatsFan2003 Member

Gronk is not playing. But I think it's just a matter of time before he does. I'm guessing he may play a few sets in game 3 against Tampa Bay and play a more serious role in the Atlanta game.

Amendola? I think he'll play but clearly his hammie is bothering him. When he went out in the 2nd quarter I'm sure most Patriots fan were groaning "Great! for this we let Welker go??"

But he came back in the second half and played great. 10 catches, 100+ yards. Show's he wants to play badly and erase his reputation as fragile.

So I'll think he'll play but he'll be gimpy.

The Vereen loss is big because I'm sure the coaching staff really is leery of Ridley right now and wouldn't play him otherwise.

Games like this between the Jets and Patriots that get super-hyped often end up as Patriots blow-outs but the Pats are definitely vulnerable right now. Amendola and Edelman are the only 2 WRs Brady seems to be effective with. The rookies still need work. If one does show up on Thursday that could mess the Jets up but if not that means the Jets can shorten the field.

Everyone knows the Jets need to pressure Brady and are capable of doing so. The Pats will definitely try to run a lot.

It really should be a close game and I think the Jets have a good chance to take this game.

We'll see.

14. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

WTF? Unbelievable.

15. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Money line looks tempting too.

16. Trip McNealy

Trip McNealy Member

The Jets getting 14 points is insane...

17. Trip McNealy

Trip McNealy Member

Doubt they'll even let you take it....

18. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

14 points against a divisional rival is tricky.

19. greenbeanz

greenbeanz Well-Known Member

amendola isnt at the walkthrough according to ben volin of the boston globe. douchebag mehta retweeted it a little bit ago. this could be HUGE for us

20. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

The Pats not practicing against the Jets
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/09/10/patriots-dont-bother-practicing-for-jets/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.