2012 Week 12 - New England Patriots @ New York Jets Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by RevisIsland18, Nov 18, 2012.

1. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

in my opinion, if the Jets want to win this game, we need a minimum of two offensive touchdowns. plus at least one defensive or special teams touchdown.

no turnovers by the offense, hopefully the defense can get pressure on Brady.

2. New England Patriots

New England Patriots Well-Known Member

This is pure garbage. It is NOT a make or break game for the Patriots. It would be nice, but the division is already wrapped up.

3. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

You thinking you have the Division wrapped up is extremely false. Yes, it is unlikely that we will take it, but you are far from saying it's wrapped up. You still got 2 division games left buddy. Not to mention two games against San Fran and Houston.

#123 Falco21, Nov 21, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
  4. PatriotWarrior

Actually the Pats final two games are against the Jags and Dolphins. Nice try though.

5. Falco21

I corrected my mistake. I was thinking ahead of myself.

All it takes is for us to beat you tomorrow and you split with the Dolphins. If you do that, and end your season at 9-7, we have the tie breaker. Pretty sure.

6. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

The only way the Jets can win the AFC East is if NE loses to the Jets and Miami x2

7. Falco21

I thought it's if they lose to the Jets and then split with Miami, we have the tie-breaker with them being 9-7.

Again, this all depends how we end

8. 85inthehall

Rattling any QB is a huge bonus. Sanchez has been really bad under pressure with decision making and ball control since the Baltimore game last year where he was almost killed numerous times. He has yet to learn that you can throw it away or take a sack and live to play another down.

9. Falco21

You mean, a QB shouldn't attempt to throw a ball when he is completely wrapped up by the rusher and has the arm length of an alligator while being brought down?

Say it ain't so!

10. 85inthehall

It's not only that....it's trying to extend plays when he should just tuck it and go down, not sensing the guy comign from behind -- little things that should come naturally after 4 years just aren't which is upsetting.

11. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

Of course they want to win this game badly. They always put a lot of stake in division games. But it is not make or break.

And you can believe they are rushing back Hernandez if you want, but the fact is there was surprise in the lockerroom when Hernandez was held out last week. The coaching staff had ALREADY determined that they were saving him for this Thursday because of the quick turnaround before Gronk ever got hurt.

Chung is another player they are taking it very slow with.

12. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

That's the key point. If we lose against the Pats unless we run the table the rest of the way it's a meaningless argument. Even if we beat the Pats they need to lose a few (to a few good teams, sure) and we have to win a bunch (against some crappy teams, true).

Honestly, I would just aim for a be happy with clinching a wildcard spot. That's the most that any reasonable person would have expected of this team at the outset. Plus it's going to be a fight just to get that much let alone the division based on where we are right now.

13. PatsFan2003

PatsFan2003 Member

Is this the scenario where the Jets win the rest of their games?

14. Falco21

Yes. This is all revolving how we finish the season. Granted, it is very unlikely we win the division, but saying its wrapped up is far from the truth. Nothing in this league is a guarantee

15. PatsFan2003

PatsFan2003 Member

Hey you have to keep plugging for your team.

16. deerow84

I hope one of two things happen:
    1) We win at least 5 of our 6 remaining games, finish 9-7 and squeeze into the final wildcard spot and see what happens from there.
    2) We lose every game left in the season, finish 4-12 and get a pretty high draft pick and see some changes over the offseason.

What I bet will happen:
    We will win three or four of our final 6 games, finish 7-9 or 8-8 obviously miss the playoffs have a mediocre draft pick and no major changes are made over the offseason.

Crossing my fingers that we can squeeze into the playoffs. I doubt we do any damage while we're in there but you never know.

17. 85inthehall

8-8 might actually be the final playoff spot this season.

Colts and Bengals could both end up there.

18. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Hopefully Landry and Cromartie get a few picks that would be huge. Landry has been pretty quite back there latley . a pick 6 from one of them would be huge against Brady

19. deerow84

If we assume that all the other teams in the AFC with only 4 wins are inferior to us (which we have no real basis for at this point but let's just say that's the case for argument's sake) that would mean the only real competitors for the WC spots are the Steelers, the Colts and the Bengals.

Look at each one
    1) Steelers
    Still to play: Browns twice, Ravens, Chargers, Cowboys, Bengals
    Biggest issue is obviously Big Ben being out of commission for who knows how long.
    They do have a pretty easy three games there with the Browns twice and the Chargers. The rest aren't going to be easy especially without their starting QB.
    Potential final record: 9-7 or even 10-6 if they beat the Bengals.

2) Colts
    Still to play: Bills, Lions, Titans, Texans twice, Chiefs
    Biggest issue: Luck has looked great so far but can he keep it up for the rest of the season? No reason to think not but it's always a question with rookies.
    Another three relatively easy games in the Bills, Titans and Chiefs. Texans twice is hard the could go either way with the Lions.
    Potential final record: 9-7 or maybe 8-8 if they lose to the Bills

3) Bengals
    Still to play: Raiders, Chargers, Cowboys, Eagles, Steelers, Ravens
    Biggest issue: none come to mind
    Another three relatively easy games with the Raiders, Chargers, Eagles. Arguably the Cowboys too depending on which Romo shows up.
    Potential final record: 9-7 or maybe even 10-6 if they beat the Steelers

I dunno, it's going to be pretty tight, IMO. Our best bet is for whoever wins the Bengals vs Steelers matchup to be okay and the loser to fall off. If they both are pretty good then I think we're screwed. The Colts are hard to predict but I can see them finishing 8-8.

Of course that all depends on us winning at least 5 of our six remaining games and winning tie breakers and whatnot to get in as well. It also assumes that none of the other currently .400 teams to step up and play well which there is no real basis for believing.

Basically for us to make the playoffs we're going to need for almost nothing to go wrong for us, get a lot of lucky bounces and calls and going to have to have a number of other AFC teams have a lot go wrong for them. I really hope it happens and I think it is physically possible that it happens...just not very likely.

20. deerow84

That'd be great, of course, but I'll settle for them providing great coverage and throwing huge (but clean) hits on some of their receivers and TEs (Gronk or no Gronk they love that two TE system).

On the defensive side my biggest hope is to get a few hits on Brady, a few knockdowns and sacks would be very helpful both in eating up downs as well as hopefully wearing him down a bit. A strip sack or fumble recovery would work wonders.

I think field position is going to play a big factor in this game, more so for us than for them as Brady has the arm to get them up the field pretty quick when necessary. But if we can get a few possessions close to half and maybe a turnover on their side of half that could be the difference.