2011 New York Jets Free Agency Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mr Electric, Jul 19, 2011.

1. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

They had a guy on either WFAN, or 1050,,, who was saying that Wilson doesn't play the deep ball well at all.

2. laxin

laxin Active Member

what do we do with passrush? Is there a chance we sign matt roth or trade for someone????

3. #28Martin

And maybe i'm wrong on this, but it isn't like the Aso team acting like this got them all this money. 5 years, 12 mill per,,, that sounds right. Can't see the offers yesterday being so much lower then that.

4. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

Hopefully, the new, big bodies we have upfront will create one.

5. Cellar-door

Cellar-door Active Member

we don't know that to be true however. Cimini seemed to imply the Jets didn't want to go $12m a year, and we have no idea how much guaranteed money was in the Jets offer or when it was to be payed. 5 for 60 with 25 guaranteed all in the first two years say vs 5 for 60 with 18 guaranteed spread over the 5 years is a pretty big difference.

6. Brunell's Debt

Brunell's Debt New Member

Cromartie is the consolation prize. He's not an idiot, he understands that he's not as good as Asomugha. And considering that they're represented by the same agent, I'm sure that at some point Tom Condon explained to him that Cro can't sign a contract until Asomugha sets the market. We've known from day one that Cro doesn't want to take a hometown discount, so who cares if he's had to wait a few days to get his offers?

If the Jets make Cromartie the best offer, do you really think he'd turn it down because they asked Asomugha first?

7. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Still need a backer for depth.

8. #28Martin

Probably right.

9. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

Yeah, definitely.

10. #28Martin

No but my question then would be,, if the Jets make Cromartie a comparable offer to the best offer, does he come back?

11. Jetskees

Jetskees New Member

hahahah

But yea, I'm down to give Kyle Wilson his shot.

Move on to Braylon. 4y/30m, get it done T.

12. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

always a chance. Matt roth doesnt seem to be on our radar. That said we havent heard a damn whisper since the jets dropped out of nnamdi.

we could be after anybody right now. As far as the trade market goes, I havent heard a whisper of anyone solid being available. The hot name amongst Jets fans all offseason has been Tamba Hali. But he was franchised by KC and its extremely unlikely he is available via trade right now.

13. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

Wilson hasn't proven he can be a starter yet. Maybe he does this year and next year he comes in as the starter but for this year he is depth at CB for the team which is still very much needed given the way guys get dinged up during the season. Having him fight for time is healthy for the team. Every position should have people doing that, it keeps the starters on their toes.

Safety is still a very real concern. They'll find a suitable WR and a CB, there are enough out there to pick up. I haven't heard much about who they are targeting at safety. Eric Smith is a good run stopper but the guy is horrible in coverage. Pool is a FA, Ihedigbo is a FA etc. They have no depth at this time and TE's ate them alive last year so I'm not sure bringing that crew back is going to solve last years weakness there.

14. LoyalJetsFan

LoyalJetsFan New Member

Now that Nnamdi Cuntsomough is gone...

Did news ever break on what we offered vs. what Philly did?

15. Montana

Montana Member

Braylon Edwards, Chris Carr, Manny Lawson and a cheap replacement for Coleman.

Superbowl.

16. #28Martin

Haven't heard a word.

17. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

Simple answer? No. Comparable offer is not the best offer. He wants every penny. The only way he is back is if we offer more than everybody else.

18. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

So all the talk at the Pro Bowl of him and Revis playing together, blah, blah, blah. Yet, when the opportunity was there for him and the red carpet was rolled out, he balked at the opportunity.

I'm not pissed at him though. He felt like Philly was the better option and time will tell if he made the right decision.

19. #28Martin

Which tells me he's gone, also.

20. Brunell's Debt

Brunell's Debt New Member

I think that Cromartie is going to sign with the team that offers him the most money. Aside from setting the market, what happened with Asomugha is irrelevant to him.

If the Jets had never pursued Asomugha at all, and made Cromartie a comparable but lesser offer to another team then he would've walked anyway. He's looking for a payday.