2009 Mets Spring Training Thread

Discussion in 'Baseball Forum' started by davecrazy, Feb 11, 2009.

1. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Booing him is stupid, but I also think you're being a little unfair here. The game is in the new ballpark, the day before the major league season begins, he just signed a big contract, other than one start he's pretty much been horrible all spring, and he seems incapable of not being completely horrible a significant proportion of his starts despite 7 years, 175 starts, and 1000 IP in the majors. I think a lot of the booing was very Ollie-specific (and again, I do think it is stupid).

2. FirstTimeCaller

FirstTimeCaller Active Member

New York fans are always characterized as passionate and given credit for being knowledgeable... (supposedly) they understand the nuance of the game. Yet yesterday they seemed to miss something overwhelmingly obvious about this game, that the outcome was meaningless and it's meant as preparation. By boo'ing Perez off the field you weren't boo'ing what he's done to our season or how he cost us an important game... you were just boo'ing him while he was out their practicing for the season (same as Castillo the night before).... on your first day in a brand new stadium before the season has even started. IMO you don't boo at preseason games unless something totally unsportsmanlike happens... they'll be plenty of time starting tomorrow :)

3. 3rdAnd15Draw

3rdAnd15Draw Well-Known Member

It's just bizzare to me that he would get booed in a Spring Training game. It's not like he's done anything or been so horrible during his time here that the fans should be ready to jump all over him. I guess it's the money people are reacting too, although why anyone would think a contract would change the type of pitcher Perez is is also a mystery to me.

Booing a guy like Castillo who has been nothing but terrible for the Mets I can understand but overall Perez has been a solid #2-3 in his time here.

#143 3rdAnd15Draw, Apr 5, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2009
  4. Namath2Kolber

Namath2Kolber New Member

They booed because he deserved to get booed. Yeah, it's spring training and no one is expecting a stellar performance. At the same time, people paid for their tickets and hauled it down to Queens. At least give a semi-competent performance on the mound.

5. 3rdAnd15Draw

3rdAnd15Draw Well-Known Member

Sounds like a personal problem to me. No one paid for the tickets because they wanted to see the Mets and Red Sox play an exhibition game, they paid because they wanted to see the new stadium.

6. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Where did you dock your yacht during the game?