2009 College Football Season Thread

Discussion in 'NCAA' started by JetsNation06, Sep 5, 2009.

1. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

No, it's not.

Matt Barkley is considered by many to be the best quarterback prospect in a long, long time.

Also, Barkley gets to the hand ball to about four 5-star caliber running backs that get to run behind about four 5-star offensive linemen.

It's a completely different situation.

2. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

No its not because you just said they can't win due to experience, this guy is a true freshman while highly hyped also did nothing at the college level, the guys I am talking about is a sophomore and a redshirt sophomore and they have good weapons to win while not on USC's level easily on the level that MSU was last year which was a 9 win team with a New Years Day bowl

3. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

LOL at the guy that knows nothing about the situation.

No Javon Ringer vs. Joe McKnight/Stafon Johnson/Allen Bradford/Marc Tyler/CJ Gable

Hmmm...

Matt Barkley is in a much, much better situation.

4. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Sorry WW85 but with Charlie Weis at the helm in a place that MSU has owned ND in for over a decade I ain't seeing it. They have been hyping up ND's talent for years and they have been nothing but mediocre

5. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

I didn't get that from what he said....

While I think ND is better than what I thought they would be... (more impressed with shutting down Kapernick than putting up big points) they still have alot to prove before we start crowning them a top 10 team. They do have a garbage schedule so they should be in contnetion for a BCS Bowl (not because they deserve it but because they're ND). Then again should they lose to Michigan it's irrelavent what they did against Nevada.

6. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

That was the past 4 years, not this year. ND is light years better!!! You believe MSU will be favored at Sound Bend??? Sorry, ain't happening.

7. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Apparently it's impossible for teams to improve...unless they are Michigan State.

I've been trying to explain that Notre Dame was in rebuilding mode as soon as Brady Quinn and the other Willinghamm recruits graduated. They've gone from bad to mediocre to what I think will be a pretty damn good team in 2009.

Charlie Weis may have struggled early on, but all the pieces are in place now. He's built himself what looks to be a very good squad.

8. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Charlie Weis is going to weigh that talent down like an anchor

9. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

There is a difference between improving and all of a sudden becoming a BCS team, I can see ND winning 8 games and going to a decent bowl but thats about it, it is extremely rare for a team (without a coaching change) to go from terrible/mediocre to a BCS team the very next year

10. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

You're just being unrealistic. You're hate for ND is unbelievable. I could careless about ND or MSU....I'm trying to be objective.

I've even have had that Greg Jone's avatar for a couple of weeks, LOL....so don't consider me biased.

#90 WW85, Sep 7, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2009
  11. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Weis went 19-6 in 2005 and 2006 combined.

During those two seasons, the Irish had a stellar offense that included Brady Quinn, Mo Stovall, and Jeff Samardzija...along with a great offensive line.

Jimmy Clausen, Golden Tate, and Michael Floyd are there now...along with a great offensive line.

Good things will come.

12. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

It's not like Notre Dame is in the SEC. Their schedule is god awful - that's why they have the potential to go to the BCS.

I know they don't play anyone elite except for USC.

Once again, Alabama did it - they went from 6-6 to 12-1...without a coaching change.

13. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I am not being unrealistic, Charlie Weis is just an arrogant terrible coach, point blank. He can recruit but like Ron Zook he can't coach himself out of a paper bag. Look I loathe Bill Belichick but I know how good of a coach he is. I am just calling it as I see it

14. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Their schedule was awful last year didn't change the fact they were still 6-6 through it as for pointing out Alabama, Saban was just in his 2nd year usually the coaching change's impact starts to hit the most by his 2nd year when his first real class comes in, not Charlie Weis in his 5th year who had no excuses for being terrible but was still terrible last year

15. kinghenry89

kinghenry89 New Member

It's worth pointing out that Weis hasn't had any success with his own recruits. He had nothing to do with bringing Quinn, Shark, Stovall, Zbikowski or any of those guys into South Bend.

I think that Weis is a fine game coach. But his massive ego and flagrant douchebaggery will sink him with the boosters the next time ND has a down season.

16. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Good post.

2009 is the first year Charlie Weis' recruits are mostly developed and completely ready to start/contribute.

Most of the guys starting over the past couple of seasons were still Willinghamm's guys.

Clausen will shine now that he has a solid team around him.

17. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Nah the reason why I say he is a good recruiter is by all reports he does bring in good recruiting classes he is just not coaching them up at all. As for the first two seasons I think he just lucked out that Willingham was canned with decent talent with a Qb that make the job easy for him, a decent QB with every receiver over 6'5"with a weak enough schedule to get a great record.

18. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

2009 being the first year that they are all developed? That's BS if that was the case they should have been a lot better last year when all of those recruits were Juniors. It was the Willingham guys that got him into the BCS bowls, the tough part of actually coaching up a recruiting class of his own he hasn't shown that ability at all. He somehow made top 10 classes look like MAC-level recruits the past two years when they should have been building off the BCS bowls. What you describe is what Urban Meyer is doing in Florida, he didn't tank to hopelessness in year 3.

19. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

1. They are all redshirt juniors now. So we'll see...guys like Harrison Smith, Golden Tate, Jimmy Clausen, and Michael Floyd all played pretty well last season. There are plenty other guys that I could list...

2. Urban Meyer runs a gimmick system and has the perfect quarterback for it. Meyer is the smartest coach in college football. He also has the best defensive coordinator in college football on his staff.

#99 Mr Electric, Sep 7, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2009
  20. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I don't remember a successful coach completely bottoming out in the middle of the tenure I just used Meyer as an example, your scenario would make sense if he stunk in the beginning due to the poor talent from the predecessor but that wasn't the case Willingham left him enough talent for a BCS bowl game, it has been Weis' class that has failed miserably not Willingham's