11 pm Press Conference on SNY and ESPN

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by soxxx, Jan 8, 2013.

1. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Yeah because Revis didn't have contract problems when he first was drafted? Was Rex building him up so much that Revis' talent level from college demanded a 20 day holdout? Was that Rex, or maybe Revis was known to hold out and have agents that have historically disagreed with the Jets FO far before Rex was even coaching this team? Yeah I'm going with number 2 since Revis held out immediately when he was drafted.

We traded a 5th round pick Holmes! That's great, the mistake came in giving him so much money. Rex doesn't negotiate contracts, that's Tanny again. Just like Sanchez, the GM negotiates the money. Rex loved Braylon too, how come we didn't offer him so much money in FA? How come we just targeted Tone? How come we didn't build our OL since the Vlad pick? For a coach yelling ground and pound, someone sure dropped the ball there.

Why in the world is Tanny bending over to please Rex and Mangini is the bigger problem? Rex stays, so what. It's most likely like a lame duck head coach. He has a year with fresh incoming talent and GM to see what he can do. Offensively we might finally have a new QB. If the new GM wants him gone, he can send him out the door. It's not going to be a 1 year revival process so if Rex leaves now or next year, it's not making that big of a difference. Keeping Rex here lets the new GM focus on offense, something we need to sorely focus on because the defense will be top 10 again. It also makes the transition to a new DC that much easier as Wilkerson and Coples seem to be tweener players and we would lose the focus and vision that was behind drafting them and Ellis. You really want sent those defensive picks to wayside just because? Yeah, let's blow up a promising defense because the new coach can't make it work. That makes sense.

I don't see the problem in keeping Rex another year and trying to keep the GM/HC responsibilites separate. If all these mistakes were on Rex, then what Woody is doing is 100% correct. Rex is going to be coaching and the GM GM'ing. And if you believe all the mistakes above are squarely on Rex too, well Woody is solving that problem by doing this.

Yeah he screwed up "Mangini's" defense that was average and turned it into the number 1 defense in the league without Kris Jenkins. Really screwed that one up.

2. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

That's what Bush supporters said when he decided to invade Iraq and more than 10 years, thousands of lives lost, and the largest deficit ever, we all know how that worked out.

Woody is not right. That's the problem here. The decision on Rex never should have been Woody's to make in the first place given his lack of football operations and knowledge. This ENTIRE process including the retention or firing of Rex should've been handled by an independent party aka Korn Ferry (Jed Hughes). Yet Woody thinks he's got this all figured out. Nothing in this organization has changed at the top, coming off a 6-10 season and a depleted roster that's only getting worse. Not sure why anyone thinks the same guys who put us in this position will somehow now understand how to turn it around.

#402 JetsNation06, Jan 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  3. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I assure you Woody has more facts about what has happened over the past 4 years than you or I. A lot of people with less facts available than Woody think he's wrong. He's sticking to his guns in the face of all those people and I respect that.

4. NotSatoshiNakamoto

5. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Also I don't mind keeping Rex because we are in unique situation as a bad team where we can point to one huge weakness. It's not overall bad play, it's one unit playing 30th-32nd in the league keeping us from being a winning ball club. Usually it's poor play all around, but we clearly have one unit holding us back. We are never going to fully be a SB contender year in and year out until we get that QB, so I think the defense coached by Rex could be good enough to put together winning seasons with a competent offense. I think we could be successful team while waiting for that QB instead of being a terrible team waiting for the QB.

6. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Er sorry RR is gonzo after this season since we are a talentless roster except for 5/7 players so we will again go 6-10 or lower & RR will be axed :sad:

7. championjets69

Er U R NOT analyzing the situation properly IMHO. The reason RR was retained is because he is & will continue to be WJ shill plain & simple :sad:

8. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Thanks for clearing that up, Woody! :rolleyes:

9. Bare in mind...in no way am I pleased w/ all the negativity swirling around this franchise.

But this prevailing opinion that retaining a head coach before hiring a GM is somehow dysfunctional just is offbase. Take a look around the league. The days of traditional organizational structure are over. The game has changed. Conventional IS unconventional.

The media situation w/ this team in and of itself makes the Jets a unique animal. Frankly I'd be more upset if Woody WANTED to do things the old-school conventional way. The jets are a unique animal..and they should be managed that way.

What's right for this franchise? I don't know. None of us on here do. But the media doesn't either. One thing we know is that Rex IS a great football mind, he has a strong presence & he most certainly brings some rare aspects of strength to the table. Does he have faults? Yes he does. Is he perfect?No he's not. But neither were guys like Lombardi,Cowher,Parcells & yes even Bellichick.

Woody thinks Rex exemplifies rare leadership ability. We've heard other people say the same thing. He's willing to let Rex learn from some of his mistakes. Rex has won here before...is it really that far fetched to think he can't win again?

At some point we as fans have to accept this. Rex CAN win. He HAS won.

10. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Hence why I said Woody is not right and the decision should have been taken out of his hands in the first place. Obviously Rex is Woody's guy, everyone knows this. However this whole situation should have been handled by an outside party, not Woody. Tells us all we need to know about things improving around here.

11. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

actually I thought special teams showed increasing suckage as the year went on as well. And the D did well in statistical categories, but also gave up lots of big plays for scores. I don't mean to suggest the D is a huge problem, but it has problems, too.

The fact is the Jets lost 10 games by an average of 16.5 points (according to the WSJ - I didn't check that myself). That is huge, and shows the Jets have a very long way to go to be competitive.

12. championjets69

displacedfan IMHO is just another NYJ fan that needs to be deprogrammed from his NYJ man love :sad:

13. championjets69

At least 5 years & more likely 7/10 years before they will be SB timber again & that is if they find a QB that has the tools :sad:

14. championjets69

Your more then welcome. If you think otherwise then it is time for you to go to a licensed MD & get yourself deprogrammed from your man love of the NYJs. :sad:

15. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

The negativity surrounding this team right now is an enormous problem, and I don't think it gets its proper share of focus. In addition to changes in football personnel, this team needs to clean out its entire media relations department, because they have as much as allowed the NFL press to build a disaster story around the Jets, and their job needs to be something more than announcing "last question."

I listened to that presser and hearing Rex speak was just depressing for me. Since the minute the season ended, this team has acted every bit like the team-in-disarray that the NFL press has enjoyed characterizing them as. In that one-hour press conference, Rex and Woody played right to that theme and confirmed it all.

What I heard from Rex was limp, generic coach-speak. "I'm learning from my mistakes," "I promise you, next year we will be unpredictable," "this will be a tough, hard-hitting team." Blah blah blah. I don't want to hear Rex confirm to the world that he makes mistakes and he's still learning on the job! I know that by watching games! I know that because he's human. And, although Woody might like to think, as he said, that one of Rex's great qualities is his ability to acknowledge and learn from his mistakes, I can't tell you how that depresses me to hear. The message is: "Bear with me while I figure out this job." It makes Rex sound like a inexperienced work in progress. I learn new things in my job all the time. I may have even made a mistake once or twice. I can't imagine telling my partners or clients to stick with while I continue to learn on the job. Rex has been a football coach his entire adult life. He'll make mistakes. Everyone does. They need to just stop gleefully thinking that it's virtuous to admit your mistakes to an NFL press that feeds on disaster stories. You want to be a tough football team? Start ACTING tough again.

And, no, I'm not looking for more bold and empty boasting from Rex. I'm just looking for him to say, "I've been a football coach for 25 years. I know what the problem is better than anyone else. I know how to fix it better than anyone else. Work has already begun. Period." Leave the self-pity out of it.

This team clearly has a depth problem, and even moreso, a quarterback problem - two self-created personnel issues. Now that Mike Tannenbaum is gone, I hope those two issues are addressed, and I don't care who does it or how. Conventionally or unconventionally, we fans expect that these things will be fixed. The bigger issue right now is perception. Toughness starts at the top. I don't think they should so eagerly accept the role of beaten dog.