11 pm Press Conference on SNY and ESPN

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by soxxx, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Cribb

Cribb New Member

I agree with you. Said what needed to be said. At least gave me some hope that the team won't be clowns next year. At this point of the season, I'll take hope.

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Smart media strategy is to stick to the personal BS talking points.

Rex got himself and the organization in trouble in the past by being too open and making statements off the top of his head based on how he felt.

Talking points are good. I hope by this time next year Rex's nickname from the press is The Clam.

3. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Yeah RR gives vague answers and doesn't take the bait from the media and ppl are still upset. LOL

4. LWC611

LWC611 Member

Thanks....

5. The Jets have learned their lesson w/ the media. Expect a Mangini-esque media philosophy moving forward

6. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

I guess its better to be laughed at than ignored

7. akibud

akibud Active Member

I'm not mad at them not giving any specific answers, what gets my blood boiling is the obvious incompetence of the last 4 years (what am I talking about, we went to back to back AFCCG) to now admit that the offensive identity of this team is other than you planned for and implemented after 4 years is incompetent

8. PhillyJet52

PhillyJet52 Member

I agree, and I'm happy with what I heard. I would have liked it if Woody responded to the clown question by telling the reporters that they (media) created the circus. With the right moves this team can be very dangerous in two years. I for one am excited.

9. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

The problem has always been on offense. He was saddled with a bad one when he got hired, but our ability to run the ball hid that. The last two years was the end of Schotty, and then an injury plagued transition year.

Woody alluded to that when he said there were extenuating circumstances....

10. NewYorkEveryThing

So I guess sanchez is getting ANOTHER chance at being our QB? Please let him go

11. PearsonJones

PearsonJones New Member

Their never going to actually talk like this in normal circumstances. They will be a lot more brutal with each other.

NY Media is a joke, pathetic joke. Because of this, you get two bumbling idiots in press conferences,, praying for the next 25mins hoping nothing stupid is said for all the fat arse radio hosts to go crazy.

I like Rex, I think he'd be a great personality. I don't think he was ready to be thrown into the HC position at the time.

Baltimore to NY. He's learning.

12. Br4d

They fired the guy who was primarily responsible for assembling the personnel. That's good enough for me. Now if they start taking all linebackers early in the next draft? Well then we'll know and sometime in 2014 we'll have an interim head coach if not a new one before the season.

13. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

We know that Rex has finally has adapted to the realities of modern NFL offense....

14. CurbYourEnthusiasm

CurbYourEnthusiasm Well-Known Member

A few NFL network guys are recommending Hue Jackson as our next OC because of the fire he has on the offensive side of the ball.

15. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I agree with you.
    without announcing a GM, couldn't address personnel questions. Only thing really confirmed for me is Pettine def not coming back.

Press questions i was surprised were football related for most part.
    I was surprised no one asked if Rex will hire a new DC...although there would not be an answer yet.

16. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

If he's on the roster he will obviously get another shot. That doesn't necessarily mean he'll ever start another game though.

17. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Yep. Mehta, Myers and other have succeeded in killing their personal golden goose. Now they gotta actually work. Although to be honest, I doubt Rex will exhibit enough self-control to stay away from stupid comments completely.
    Even today at the presser answering one of the questions, instead of stopping at (I'm paraphrasing, but just a little)
    "Jets have great facilities and commitment to players' health and safety",
    added
    "better than any other team".

18. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Not really. People who are really good and are generally really thoughful and have sound positions based on their world view are perfectly capable of having a discussion with the media. It's only a smart stradegy when you don't have sound positions.

Rex got himself in trouble by not thinking and making statements off the top of his head.

Talking points are only good if they are steeped in the reality of action on the field. If they aren't they are simply transparent BS.

19. Br4d

That would be a mission accomplished by Woody and Rex then. They stood in front of the media and didn't make things worse. There was no way to substantially make them better in a press conference.

#199 Br4d, Jan 8, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  20. boston_jet

boston_jet New Member

I don't think people have a problem with their answers (albeit they were incomplete, rambling thoughts). For once Rex did not create another headline with an idiotic, unnecessary statement.

For me (the only person I can speak for) what causes frustration is the LACK of LEADERSHIP in this front office. Woody has no clue what he's doing, and he has resorted to delegating all sorts of unwarranted power to Rex who, as great of a coach as you may think he might be (and I'm one of his supporters - AS A COACH) is NOT fit to be handling or even providing input on decisions as large as GM candidacy.

The problem I have is that this situation (where we thought we hit rock bottom) is not getting any better any time soon. As long as Woody is the owner of this team it appears we have the blind leading the blind. It's frustrating to see such a lack of power and leadership in a multi, multi organization of which we give so much of our time, support, and money. I am no expert, but this is NOT how winning organizations conduct business.

My $0.02.

#200 boston_jet, Jan 8, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2013