We're gonna pick 4 players in the draft

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Br4d, Apr 28, 2007.

1. islesfan

islesfan New Member

I'd rather have a management team that wasn't cookie cutter and was pro-active rather than one that always looked for quantity, disregarding value and need, and just took what was available because they were afraid to make moves.

2. islesfan

islesfan New Member

If the quality isn't there, go for quantity. If the quality is there and matches your needs, you gotta go for quality.

3. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

Everybody who is preaching quality over quantity is 100% right. We don't have many available roster spots. We had very few FAs or cap casualties. There is probably only a couple of roster spots available to draft picks this year, and we ended up with what are likely 2 immediate starters.

4. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

I agree here. They players we got are great and I am happy with them. But the right side of the OL is a HUGE need. Moore has more penalties than Mangold and Brick combined last year. And Clement is a journeyman and not the long term answer by any stretch of the imagination. The run blocking last year was horrid. Where exactly is Jones going to run if there are no holes? On top of that, Kendall is getting old fast, where is his heir apparent? We desperately needed to use a day one pick the OL.

Once again love the players, but the Jets needed to get more picks not less. Too many positions/issues were left unaddressed.

5. Namath2Kolber

Namath2Kolber New Member

Anyone who is complaining about all the picks the Jets gave up is just pissed cuz us fans are now gonna miss out on the fun of watching the Jets make more picks. But really there aren't any empty spots on the team. The Jets don't necessarily need 5 players right now. Tanenbaum obviously loved Revis and I trust him. Then he saw Harris slip past the point he should have and jumped on the opportunity. I like the moves.

As for the O-line, I definitely want to see that get addressed. Still, it is possible to get quality guys in the 6th round, 7th round, or after the draft entirely. And you can say those guys are just tackling dummies. But Marques Colston wasn't a tackling dummy last year. And there are a ton of other similar success stories. That and the fact that maybe the Jets will trade Barton, McCareins, or someone else for a solid guard. I have a feeling the Jets will, one way or another, get a new guy on the O-line. If they don't, I agree with the hesitant mindset on today's moves but I'm gonna give Tanenbaum the benefit of the doubt for now.

6. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

We are almost certain to trade one or more players today for late round picks.

Even if we dont we have got (what appear to be) two very good players. Anyone coming out of a draft with two starter quality players has done well.

Go look at a review of last years draft. The majority of players drafted are already cut, or with another team, or stuck on practice squads. Very few teams (other than the jets) got more than two productive players.

But yeah i am sure that a bunch of guys that post on forums know WAY better than tangini and their team.

7. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

Perhaps we will see Ed Blanton on the right side this year.

8. KleckoNamathToon

RT - Blanton or Goodard
    RG - Clarke or AJones
    Depth - Wade Smith

Not an inspiring group, but maybe with a 6th / 7th round project or even a trade for a 4 / 5 we can still get some help here. I'm intrigued by Clarke, if not for Moore then maybe Kendall down the road.

9. BK_Jetsfan

BK_Jetsfan New Member

Guess we know why this dude never came back!

Again, good call Cakes.

It's funny to see immediate reactions and then what came to be. I've been searching for my reaction to the Revis pick (which wasn't as bad as the first dude, but I was disappointed like some other posters in here for the lack of picks we had in this draft), but maybe I wasn't posting actively at this point.

10. tooooon

tooooon Active Member

I'd say this worked out

11. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

Is it National "bump old threads" day?

12. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

It's the doldrums of the offseason. Every day is bump old threads day.

13. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Thanks.

I actually was in the running for Draft Guru of the Year a couple different times. Unfortunately, I have not watched enough college football the past three seasons to be able to post with conviction these days in the draft forum.

I think many of us would agree that the Jets biggest need right now is a rush linebacker. Now who would be a good choice? I don't know. Guys like WW85, MrElectric, and GreenHurricane should have the answers.

14. IrishSteveZ

IrishSteveZ New Member

I usually hate when people bump old threads that are years old, but this was a GREAT bump!

Good stuff!

15. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

I just realized we also got DeVito as an UDFA from that draft class.

16. Stanky Leg

Stanky Leg New Member

I sincerely hope they go after 2 DT's this draft. Need more push from the interior and Jenkins is most likely done, in my opinion.

17. bojanglesman

bojanglesman Active Member

With the current CBA situation muddying the waters of free agency and the salary cap, there are going to be several GMs that make or break their reputation this year. I hope Tanny comes out on top.

18. ILL-AL

ILL-AL Active Member

Haha, Great bump!

19. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

Finally a bump that I kinda look ok in afterwords.

Sweet it was right after the original post too. :beer:

20. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Well, at least no one will be complaining about trade ups this year.